It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Starship pilots: speed kills, especially warp speed

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 19 2010 @ 12:16 PM
link   

Starship pilots: speed kills, especially warp speed

www.newscientist.com

The problem lies with Einstein's special theory of relativity. It transforms the thin wisp of hydrogen gas that permeates interstellar space into an intense radiation beam that would kill humans within seconds and destroy the spacecraft's electronic instruments.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Feb, 19 2010 @ 12:16 PM
link   
So I thought this was interesting. It says that if we were to travel at the speed of light or 99.9% the speed of light the radiation would kill us within seconds and that if ET were trying to reach us at close to the speed of light they would be dead inside the ship when they reached us. I myself believe that aliens have visited us and are here and i'm sure have used different ways of getting here like bending time and space for instance, and maybe there is a way still to be able to travel close to the speed of light. Any Ideas?

www.newscientist.com

[edit on 19-2-2010 by Trudge]

posted on Feb, 19 2010 @ 12:34 PM
link   
People using this as an excuse as to why FTL travel isn't possible are doctors with no background ins pace age engineering or materials. A simple Faraday Cage type setup would eliminate this idea, or perhaps even a funnel type system to capture the ambient hydrogen in space ahead of the ship and harness it into a fuel source while approaching light speed could be possible.

posted on Feb, 19 2010 @ 12:38 PM
link   
Star Trek starships have deflectors, and inertia dampeners. So... as far as I know FTL travel it's not a problem at all.

posted on Feb, 19 2010 @ 12:44 PM
link   
I was under the impression that 'warp speed' was a reference to a method of circumventing the inherant problems posed by relativity to FTL travel.

Hypothetical warp engines would squash the space in front of a ship and stretch the space behind it eliminating the need to travel anywhere near light speed to traverse great distances.

I know I'm being pedantic here, but for the sake of clarity.....

posted on Feb, 19 2010 @ 12:45 PM
link   
i prefer worm holes myself....

intersteller corp has great specials on this month.

posted on Feb, 19 2010 @ 12:51 PM
link   
Thats why antigravity is needed, to have a magnet like pushing effect on any obstructions or radiation that may be infront of the space ship.

posted on Feb, 19 2010 @ 01:01 PM
link   
Who pays these people for this junk science anyways?

Also, how am I suppose to view this article after I have actually seen a Flying Saucer in real life?

Oh the aliens died inside before they even got here. Yeah right, is this scientist mentally deranged??

It got here obviously unharmed, therefore there is a for sure way to overcome these "problems".

Well, obviously, they are using forcefields or space warp drives or something of this nature.

It's like this guy is saying "well birds would surely fall from the sky being that their bodies weighs heavier than the air" and yet they are ignoring the fact that birds DO NOT FALL when they flap their wings a bit!

posted on Feb, 19 2010 @ 01:12 PM
link   
reply to post by muzzleflash

Gotta say muzzleflash. I like your style!

I'm a bit disenchanted with new scientist for this. Not up to their usual high standards in my opinion.

I also think the solutions to pretty much any problem we can come up with will become available with sufficiently advanced scientific knowledge and related technology.

posted on Feb, 19 2010 @ 01:17 PM
link   
If time doesn't really exist, then who cares how long the trip takes.

And you people got your Star Trek all wrong. The warp engines don't just provide power, they also create a static warp bubble around the ship. It's that bubble of isolated spacetime that prevents them from being squashing to the size of a pinhead traveling around at 10X the speed of light. Geez...

posted on Feb, 19 2010 @ 01:20 PM
link   
George Stephenson's steam engine was thought to be too dangerous for humans. The thinking was they'd be unable to breathe at the whopping speed of 29 miles per hour.

On the surface, it's a poor example, but it highlights the occasional shortcomings of vision in science. There's every reason to believe that Laws of Physics are accurate and nothing can fly faster than the speed of light. It's as close to fact as we can get using the math and theories available at this time.

Likewise, we've come an awful long way from Stephenson's Rocket in 200 years and theories have evolved. Science has always had a theme of 'No way, it can't be done. It's impossible!' Yet here we are. Guys in the ISS. astronauts have survived the the Van Allen Belt. Current science says no, but it seems illogical to rule out the possibility that new, or expanded, theories will emerge. If this is the case, technologies will develop from there...

I agree with current theories, but let's not imagine that it will remain static and stagnate...

posted on Feb, 19 2010 @ 01:21 PM
link   
Universal time does not exist i think. You can judge time by a planet around a sun or a sun around its galaxy but every galaxy is different. So time is relative same as speed.

posted on Feb, 19 2010 @ 02:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by Trudge

So I thought this was interesting. It says that if we were to travel at the speed of light or 99.9% the speed of light the radiation would kill us within seconds and that if ET were trying to reach us at close to the speed of light they would be dead inside the ship when they reached us. I myself believe that aliens have visited us and are here and i'm sure have used different ways of getting here like bending time and space for instance, and maybe there is a way still to be able to travel close to the speed of light. Any Ideas?

www.newscientist.com

Thats humerous -- being sarcastic. How exactly would scientist's know of aliens being perished by the radiation unless they are stating they have an alien specimen to test on.

Here's an idea for the open-minded. Aliens travel through astral transportation into our solar system because our solar system is three dimensional. Therefore if we as homo sapiens would want to travel by the speed of light we would have to astral travel via by the spirit formation to be able to travel out of this solar system without being perished by radiation.

[edit on 19-2-2010 by DClairvoyant]

posted on Feb, 19 2010 @ 02:33 PM
link   
In the time you closed your hand and fingers slowly that are strecteched outward for every frame per second that it takes us to close our hand and clenched our fingers and thumb inwards we would have travelled 100 billion light years.

So for every second frame it takes us:

1st second per frame = 100 light years
2nd second = 1000 light years
3rd second = 10,000 light years
4th second = 100,000 light years
5th second = 1,000,000 light years
6th second = 10,000,000 light years
7th second = 100,000,000 light years
8th second = 1,000,000,000 light years
9th second = 10,000,000,000 light years
10th second = 100,000,000,000 light years

So with bending space time we could achieve 10 seconds of clenching a hand slowly what would appear to take those 10 seconds in terms of time travelling we could have travelled 100 billion light years.

So the theory is the pyramids in Egypt could have been built in the future along with the pyramids in Mexico and the future's foretold have already been seen.

Just an idea for the open-minded that I was discussing alongside with a benevolent being.

Peace out.

posted on Feb, 19 2010 @ 02:38 PM
link   
reply to post by muzzleflash

I liked how you called it a flying saucer instead of a UFO. Flying saucer does sound more extraterrestrial of course what you saw was a UFO because you couldn't identify what it was or if those little green men who was flying it was really in there.

Fess up. You don't know what you saw or who was flying it. It could have been a top secret test vehicle. But that would dampen your view on reality and so you pretend to be smarter then those who have a grasp on reality and ridicule any who thinks differantly then you.

Some could view that as borderline schizophrenia.

posted on Feb, 19 2010 @ 02:38 PM
link   
I just wanted to say thank you to everyone that has replied to my post. I find all of your responses very intersting and love to hear what you have to say.

posted on Feb, 19 2010 @ 02:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by Trudge

www.newscientist.com

I feel that this story are by scientist who feel threaten about the possibilities of the fact that we are being visited right now. They are trying to justify the stance that those abductees are simply crazy people looking for attention.

Don't worry about this story, the Truth is truth, and despite the skeptics who want to believe in there own version of a flat earth, I know better. I'm not threaten by the fact/ideal that some people are taken for a few hours to be experimented on or the fact that not one UFO has landed on the White House. I'm open to the Ideal, and fact that not all the things in the sky are from this planet.

What I feel threaten by is the fact that our own government will explore and denounce you when you report an UFO or even threaten your life. Also the many stories that I've come across lead me to think that the Men In Black are aliens themselves and leads me to the conclusion that they don't want to be known that they are among us. I guess the next time the you encounter a MIB, just ask them, why are you threaten by me? No one is going to believe me in the first place.

So What if Aliens land on the White House lawn, you'll still have to pay your bills tomorrow and the IRS will still want your money.

posted on Feb, 19 2010 @ 02:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by Crito
If time doesn't really exist, then who cares how long the trip takes.

And you people got your Star Trek all wrong. The warp engines don't just provide power, they also create a static warp bubble around the ship. It's that bubble of isolated spacetime that prevents them from being squashing to the size of a pinhead traveling around at 10X the speed of light. Geez...

So your saying the plasma energy instead the bubble flows around the surface of this ship and doesn't touch the walls of the bubble as the bubble works as a vacuum and compresses the plasma down so that the 4th dimensional energy transfers itself into an electromagnetic field therefore the electromagnetic lines of frequency's can bend and straighten in occordance of the craft enabling it to reach speeds of 4,000 mph or more.

posted on Feb, 19 2010 @ 03:32 PM
link   
Oh come on before seat belts were invented we thought 30 mph would be too fast and we'd fly out of the window of a steam engined train.

We will get round travelling at high velocities just like we got round most other previously perceived problems.

Anyway it's the acceleration that matters the most, not necessarily the final velocity. Just accelerate slowly and invent inertial dampeners. We can go from impulse to warp speed in hours rather than seconds. After all... who's in a rush in space!

We will invent an anti-relativity warp bubble device or whatever!

[edit on 19-2-2010 by john124]

new topics

top topics

join