It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why hasn't the UN placed sanctions on the United States of America?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 19 2010 @ 09:02 AM
link   
The UN is suppose to be governing body of nations that hold each other accountable for it's actions, yet the US does whatever it wants unchecked. Considering the US is occupying countries against their will and continues to kill innocent people and writes them off as colateral damage. The US has been doing this well before 9/11 and the atrocities are not exclusive to Iraq and Afghanistan, Central and South American have been getting the wrath of the US's aggression in the name of the 'war on drugs' for decades now just as an example.

Will it ever end? Will the UN and the free countries of the world grow a pair and hold the US accountable for it's actions? How many innocent lives will it take? Will the US continue it's evil ways unchecked?

posted on Feb, 19 2010 @ 09:10 AM
link   
Please don't start a troll thread. The US as bad as they can be on a negative side do just as much if not more on the positive side in helping people. The United Nations appears to be a failure and should be the topic in discussion and not the guy on top. Banks do more damage to people than any country has ever done..... you want the bad guy... it's the guy holding all the debt(power). Please put some thought into starting a thread and argue more than your emotions.

posted on Feb, 19 2010 @ 09:32 AM
link   
First of all you cant hold an entire country responsible for what the morons in power do to others. The idiots making these decisions need to be locked up...I am an American and I dont agree with what the suits in power are doing to other countries. It is for their own benefit and nothing more. It's about MONEY and POWER and those two together are deadly.

posted on Feb, 19 2010 @ 09:35 AM
link   
OP, let me pose this question to you.

How can the UN sanction any country, if it does not have enough funding?

It's hard to bite the hand that feeds you.

posted on Feb, 19 2010 @ 09:40 AM
link   
reply to post by jrod

First let me address these questions:

Q. Why hasn't the UN placed sanctions on the United States of America?
A. It's because USA holds VETO power and will veto any resolutions that will go against them or their interests. Secondly, US has not ratified many of human rights and other international resolutions which they force other countries to do.

Q. Will it ever end?
A. Don't know, don't think anywhere in near future it will.

Q. Will the UN and the free countries of the world grow a pair and hold the US accountable for it's actions?
A. It would have happened or would have been close if GW Bush would have been in power. It can happen again simply by following GW Bush policies.

Q. How many innocent lives will it take?
A. Countless.

Q. Will the US continue it's evil ways unchecked?
A. Most likely USA will carry it's unequal and biased policies until a new super power emerges. However, it's important to note that not all policies are evil.

[edit on 19-2-2010 by December_Rain]

posted on Feb, 19 2010 @ 10:18 AM
link   
Unfortunately, you need a vote from the UN security council in order to place official UN sanctions on a country; and the US is a permanent member on that council, and has veto power.

The only way sanctions would work is if countries allied outside of the UN against the US, and boycotted/regulated their own trade with the US, which would still probably be economic suicide.

posted on Feb, 19 2010 @ 10:35 AM
link   
Like December_Rain and Monts said, it's in the U.N.'s charter. The U.S.A. is one of the "Big Five" (WWII Allies) with special authority:

www.unwatch.com...

... each of the Big Five has a veto power. Any one of them can block even the discussion of an action that it disapproves.

The U.N. is not a democracy.

posted on Feb, 19 2010 @ 10:37 AM
link   
reply to post by jrod

Try to think of the world as a household , with Adult children living at home.

When the parents (UN) say things the children (US) like, they follow the rules.

When the parents (UN) say something the kids (US) don't like , the kids (US)

say , "I'm not listening , I'll do what I like".

posted on Feb, 19 2010 @ 10:39 AM
link   
Maybe I should have asked what is the the UN good for. I realize the power the US has over the council. Wasn't the reason the UN was formed to prevent actions like the US continues to do?

I am a US citizen and know we aren't all bad but I feel like the US is heading down the wrong path and needs to be held accountable for it's actions by the international community. Part of the problem is the average Amerrican does not have a clue to what the US does abroad they just blindly pay for it and become irrate when someone suggests that our policies are out of line.

Things are not right in this country and I cannot silently watch my country continue the path it is own, I see it as a path to destruction and very few of my fellow Americans are blind to what is really going on. Many more put the blinders and act like nothing is wrong. I want to see the US succeed but I fear we are on a path to failure. While I cannot imagine the US ever being sanctioned by a council they more or less 'own' I do hope my message gets out that all is not well with the policies of the United States of America.

[edit on 19-2-2010 by jrod]

posted on Feb, 19 2010 @ 12:26 PM
link   
Wait... you're asking why one impotent puppet organization isn't looking to stop the bullying of the planet by another puppet organization when both answer to the same puppets further up the chain of command?

You can't be a member of a conspiracy forum and post these sort of questions without exposing a great naivety in the area of concern.

IF you're genuinely confused as to why the cabal of thieves called the UN hasn't called for sanctions against the country that hosts the back room deals in the first place, you're definitely in the right place.

People fail to see that things are the way they are because the people, and I use that term loosely, that control the strings of these organizations want it to be.

The American atrocities of this short but new century in Iraq, Afghanistan and everywhere else all we send our drones are a part of the great work, the big show, the new corporatocracy and since we're all a part of the picture being squarely on the stage, we can't sometimes see it for what it really is.

Zoom out folks, see the bigger picture and accept the fact that truth is so much stranger than fiction. With that belief filter in place perhaps your human eyes will gain a sort of a "They Live" sense of perception and you'll see that those in control are more than just a few steps ahead of those who are just now waking up.

WE can change the world with our thoughts, The UN hasn't changed anything since their inception. Anytime they gave support to the needy it was only to appease the sheeple.

War and Hunger need not be carryovers into this new century. We took our hands off the wheel, gave our responsibility to others and now we wonder why the real work of helping and healing each other hasn't been done by someone else.

So instead of asking why the US hasn't felt the brunt of sanctions, we should instead ask what would the world be like if people who actually cared about people and not pockets worked towards the peace and prosperity of all mankind where-ever they worked, not just those at the UN who we have foolishly put in charge of just such things.

posted on Feb, 19 2010 @ 05:15 PM
link   
"We are only following Orders of our Big Bad Leaders" Is that what U Americans said before launching your attack on defenseless Dresden killing 350,000 Civilian Krauts with Napalm Bombs on Valentine's Day? No it was to show d Russians that U had a “Bigger” killing Machine than d Russians. U hypocritical Americans did not care then so why should U be caring NOW. Oh I forgot Official History of d Victors says U only killed 35,000 Evil Nazis in d Dresden Holocaust so it must be OK. U cared so much about Dresden U went on to Nuke Hiroshima n Nagasaki killing another 150,000–240,000 Japs. 10,000's of Japs continued to die of Radiation afterward but it was a good Psychological lesson for d Japs. I mean those Evil Vampire Japs started d War n so they where Guilty. U cared so much about Dresden, Hiroshima, Nagasaki that U Napalmed Millions of Dinks n Nigels in Vietnam in order to save them. U cared so much about Dresden, Hiroshima n Vietnam that U killed 500,000 Children in Iraq because “the price is worth it.” n so on n so n so on. n now bad Karm has come Home n no one in Dresden, Hiroshima, Vietnam, Iraq or anywhere else in d World that U have raped, tortured, murdered really cares what EXCUSE U Americans have. Maybe when Hundreds of Thousands of Americans r Hanged for War Crimes then maybe U will stop using d Excuse that we where just following orders of our Big Bad Leaders.

posted on Feb, 19 2010 @ 05:25 PM
link   
The US is one of seven nations that has the power of veto at the UN.

So if every other nation on Earth voted for sanctions against America, the US would just veto it.

Exactly the same problem exist with the UN in declaring sanctions against the hated terrorist nation of Israel. The US would just veto any sanctions.

Interestingly, there is now a move at the UN to raise sanctions against Iran, but China also has the power of veto at the UN, so it is unlikely to happen.

After the US has just sold weapons to Taiwan, and really pissed off the Chinese by meeting the Dali Lama, the Chinese are in no mood to back any sanctions against their friend, ally, and very important trade partner Iran.

The world, and geopolitics, can be a complex and very frustrating place.

[edit on 19/2/2010 by Silver Shadow]

posted on Feb, 19 2010 @ 06:32 PM
link   
reply to post by Tiwaz

And your misspelled, badly worded rant has what to do with this topic?

Just curious.

posted on Feb, 19 2010 @ 10:40 PM
link   
The USA is part of the permanent security council, as has already been said. They also are the number one contributing funder of the UN budget, and, frankly, they expect a return for their money, and the UN bends over for them because they couldn't function without US support.

posted on Feb, 20 2010 @ 12:29 AM
link   
reply to post by jrod

I think the US should stop giving any money to the UN and watch it shrivel up like the 80 year dick it is.
And to the OP what country do you come from? All countries have done dirty deeds it is the name of the game you bleeding heart anti-American bigot. I bet that you think CHina and Iran are just fine right. It is funny how the weak of mind view the world. I wonder how they keep form chewing off their fingers when eating with their hands.

I think we as Americans should stop all aid everywhere and when a natural disaster happens turn our backs unless it is on our soil. Also we should take off the kid gloves and really fight some wars nations are built not by peace but by war. And if they hate us anyways it will be easy to pick out targets.

posted on Feb, 20 2010 @ 01:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by Subjective Truth
I think the US should stop giving any money to the UN

I think America should stop all the aid everywhere

And I think the rest of the world should stop giving money to support America.
That has now actually happened.

Also we should take off the kid gloves and really fight some wars nations are built not by peace but by war.

Oh, you mean like another "surge" or something like that in Iraq ?

When America can actually win a war anywhere without some other country to hold it's hand, that will be really something to see.

Nations are not built by war.
War only destroys.
Continuous warfare has certainly destroyed America.

Nations are built by lasting peace.
And prosperity is built through hard work, and trade.

posted on Feb, 20 2010 @ 02:57 AM
link   

The UN is suppose to be governing body of nations that hold each other accountable for it's actions

HAHAHAHAHA ...

No.

The UN is supposed to be a general assembly to COMMUNICATE openly between nations .. revolutionary idea pre-internet and cell phones you know.

The UN's "sanctions" are POLITICAL.. and have absolutely nothing to do with human rights. For instance every one of the Veto nations in the UN is in violation of Human Rights. Anyone who puts hope or expectations into the UN is a bigger tool than the UN is it's self.

posted on Feb, 20 2010 @ 04:51 AM
link   
reply to post by jrod

Do you know how and where the United Nations gets the money it does to fund it's continuation and bureaucratic nonsense, and how it continues?

From the United States of America and the Treasury Department and U.S. tax-payers.

I am not condoning the United Nations to continue its existence either.

The U.N. Exposed: How the United Nations Sabotages America's Security and Fails the World

Amazon Review :

A scorching indictment of the U.N. by a journalist who has done as much to expose the puffed-up incompetents and frauds of Turtle Bay as anyone. -- Rich Lowry, editor, National Review

Eric Shawn has been brave enough to wield one of the first shovels among the ruins of the status quo. -- Christopher Hitchens

Eric Shawn has written a superb book that objectively lays out [the U.N.’s] many faults and failures—a desperately needed step in the right direction. -- Edward I. Koch, former mayor of New York City

Eric Shawn makes a persuasive case that the U.N.... has drifted dangerously astray. -- Rudolph W. Giuliani, former mayor of New York City

Eric Shawn’s explosive book breaks open the world of the diplomatic elite, shows what really goes on behind closed doors and reveals how the international bureaucrats on New York’s East River are an even bigger problem than we ever imagined. -- Sean Hannity

Eric Shawn’s new book is a blistering attack on the world body’s corruption, hypocrisies, greed, ineptitude, scandals and crimes against humanity — and it delivers knockout punches on every page. -- Newsmax.com

If any journalist can expose the U.N. with wit, style, and common sense, it’s Eric Shawn. He’s a pit bull with a pen! -- Ann Coulter

The United Nations is supposed to be a guardian of peace and goodwill. Instead, it has degenerated into a corrupt and cowardly organization. How did that happen? The U.N. Exposed will tell you It is the best investigative work on the U.N. in print. -- Bill O’Reilly

If any journalist can expose the U.N. with wit, style, and common sense, it’s Eric Shawn. He’s a pit bull with a pen! (Ann Coulter)

The United Nations is supposed to be a guardian of peace and goodwill. Instead, it has degenerated into a corrupt and cowardly organization. How did that happen? The U.N. Exposed will tell you It is the best investigative work on the U.N. in print. (Bill O’Reilly)

Eric Shawn’s explosive book breaks open the world of the diplomatic elite, shows what really goes on behind closed doors and reveals how the international bureaucrats on New York’s East River are an even bigger problem than we ever imagined. (Sean Hannity)

Eric Shawn makes a persuasive case that the U.N.... has drifted dangerously astray. (Rudolph W. Giuliani, former mayor of New York City)

Eric Shawn has been brave enough to wield one of the first shovels among the ruins of the status quo. (Christopher Hitchens)

A scorching indictment of the U.N. by a journalist who has done as much to expose the puffed-up incompetents and frauds of Turtle Bay as anyone. (Rich Lowry, editor, National Review)

Eric Shawn has written a superb book that objectively lays out [the U.N.’s] many faults and failures—a desperately needed step in the right direction. (Edward I. Koch, former mayor of New York City)

Eric Shawn’s new book is a blistering attack on the world body’s corruption, hypocrisies, greed, ineptitude, scandals and crimes against humanity — and it delivers knockout punches on every page. (Newsmax.com)

The United Nations is one bureaucracy guarding many bureaucracies.

It does not pay for the United Nations to bite the hand that feeds it primarily.

The United Nations Security Council alone would side for everyone but the United States if it could.

Quote from : Wikipedia : United Nations Security Council

The United Nations Security Council (UNSC) is one of the principal organs of the United Nations and is charged with the maintenance of international peace and security.

Its powers, outlined in the United Nations Charter, include the establishment of peacekeeping operations, the establishment of international sanctions, and the authorization of military action.

Its powers are exercised through United Nations Security Council Resolutions.

The Security Council held its first session on 17 January 1946 at Church House, London.

Since its first meeting, the Council, which exists in continuous session, has traveled widely, holding meetings in many cities, such as Paris and Addis Ababa, as well as at its current permanent home in the United Nations building in New York City.

There are 15 members of the Security Council, consisting of five veto-wielding permanent members (China, France, Russia, United Kingdom, United States) and ten elected non-permanent members with two-year terms.

This basic structure is set out in Chapter V of the UN Charter.

Security Council members must always be present at UN headquarters in New York so that the Security Council can meet at any time.

This requirement of the United Nations Charter was adopted to address a weakness of the League of Nations since that organization was often unable to respond quickly to a crisis.

Originally posted by mblahnikluver
First of all you cant hold an entire country responsible for what the morons in power do to others. The idiots making these decisions need to be locked up...I am an American and I dont agree with what the suits in power are doing to other countries. It is for their own benefit and nothing more. It's about MONEY and POWER and those two together are deadly.

Amen.

Citizens of the United States of America are not in control of the bastards in D.C.

The Washington D.C. think-tanks like the Project for the New American Century are the ones who should be sanctioned, since they lied us right into Iraq and Afghanistan.

Quote from : Wikipedia : Project for the New American Century

The Project for the New American Century (PNAC) was an American think tank based in Washington, D.C. that lasted from early 1997 to 2006.

It was co-founded as a non-profit educational organization by neoconservatives William Kristol and Robert Kagan.

The PNAC's stated goal was "to promote American global leadership."

Fundamental to the PNAC were the view that "American leadership is both good for America and good for the world" and support for "a Reaganite policy of military strength and moral clarity."

The PNAC exerted influence on high-level U.S. government officials in the administration of U.S. President George W. Bush and affected the Bush Administration's development of military and foreign policies, especially involving national security and the Iraq War.

P.N.A.C. was Bush and Cheney's answer to Article 51 of the United Nations charter.

Quote from : Wikipedia : Article 51

Article 51 provides for the right of countries to engage in military action in self-defense, including collective self-defense (i.e. under an alliance).

This has been cited as support for the legality of the Vietnam War.

“ Nothing in the present Charter shall impair the inherent right of individual or collective self-defence if an armed attack occurs against a Member of the United Nations, until the Security Council has taken measures necessary to maintain international peace and security.

Measures taken by Members in the exercise of this right of self-defence shall be immediately reported to the Security Council and shall not in any way affect the authority and responsibility of the Security Council under the present Charter to take at any time such action as it deems necessary in order to maintain or restore international peace and security. "

Bureaucracy stops bureaucracy, use bureaucracy to sidestep bureaucracy.

posted on Feb, 23 2010 @ 11:18 AM
link   
reply to post by jrod

If they were to do that,I hope that would cause the US to pull out of the UN! Malcolm X tried to get sanctions put on the USA for racial discrimination in 63-64.

posted on Feb, 23 2010 @ 11:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by sporkmonster
OP, let me pose this question to you.
How can the UN sanction any country, if it does not have enough funding?
It's hard to bite the hand that feeds you.

Well, actually...looks like y'all are a wee bit behind in your dues...

The U.S. arrears issue
The UN has always had problems with members refusing to pay the assessment levied upon them under the United Nations Charter. But the most significant refusal in recent times has been that of the U.S. For a number of years, the U.S. Congress refused to authorize payment of the U.S. dues, in order to force UN compliance with U.S. wishes, as well as a reduction in the U.S. assessment.

After prolonged negotiations, the U.S. and the UN negotiated an agreement whereby the United States would pay a large part of the money it owes, and in exchange the UN would reduce the assessment rate ceiling from 25% to 22%. The reduction in the assessment rate ceiling was among the reforms contained in the 1999 Helms-Biden legislation, which links payment of $926 million in U.S. arrears to the UN and other international organizations to a series of reform benchmarks.

U.S. arrears to the UN currently total over $1.3 billion. Of this, $612 million is payable under Helms-Biden. The remaining $700 million result from various legislative and policy withholdings; at present, there are no plans to pay these amounts.[citation needed] Under Helms-Biden, the U.S. paid $100 million in arrears to the UN in December 1999; release of the next $582 million awaits a legislative revision to Helms-Biden, necessary because the benchmark requiring a 25 percent peacekeeping assessment rate ceiling was not quite achieved.

The U.S. also seeks elimination of the legislated 25 percent cap on U.S. peacekeeping payments in effect since 1995, which continues to generate additional UN arrears. Of the final $244 million under Helms-Biden, $30 million is payable to the UN and $214 million to other international organizations en.wikipedia.org...

But, you know...since you ask...

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join