It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Virus on Board

page: 1

join
share:
dz

posted on May, 30 2004 @ 02:22 AM
link   
Howdy. I just wanted to let you guys know about one of your advertisers. Everytime my browser loads the advertisers ad, my antivirus comes up telling me it's a trojan.

I tell it to delete and block it, so it never loads the advertiser. It is trying to install some 'foo.mht' file in my c:\ directory and that's the file that gives me the virus warning.

I only ever get that on this site.

Just thought I'd let you know. Normally I'm in linux, so this isn't really an issue for me. I just thought I'd let you know for the windows users.

dz

dz

posted on May, 30 2004 @ 02:25 AM
link   
So, I disabled ActiveX controls on my browser since that's what kept trying to execute.

The advertiser was CheaperDays.com. I'll let you know when it happens again who the advertiser is.

dz

posted on May, 30 2004 @ 02:27 AM
link   
It happened again with the exact same advertiser.

CheaperDays.com.

Anyone else having the problem?

posted on May, 30 2004 @ 02:28 AM
link   
Yes - I traced it earlier and sent a U2U to Skeptic. It is being reported to the advertising network.

dz

posted on May, 30 2004 @ 02:30 AM
link   
Good good.. what is a shame is that I bet the majority of people on this BBS don't have antivirus installed, so they got hit

posted on May, 30 2004 @ 02:33 AM
link   
It changes the IE homepage too and sends you to a page that downloads a virus. My opinion is that until it is removed, check your homepages regularly (definitely every time that ad appears) just in case.

posted on May, 30 2004 @ 02:36 AM
link   
Two words:
Mozilla Firefox.
Stupid IE exploits.

-B.

dz

posted on May, 30 2004 @ 02:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by Banshee
Two words:
Mozilla Firefox.
Stupid IE exploits.

Actually, I can beat that with one word:
Linux
Stupid windows exploits

dz

posted on May, 30 2004 @ 02:40 AM
link   
Might I recommend this post to those that were infected:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on May, 30 2004 @ 02:41 AM
link   
Ahhhh yes, the glory of windows 2000 professional, the virus never stood a chance. -Muzz

posted on May, 30 2004 @ 03:14 AM
link   
This is the ad in question (at the bottom of the pic). It can appear in any ad area on the screen (Top, bottom or centre - random thread link), plus the chat box. It doesn't matter where it appears, it still has the virus included.

posted on May, 30 2004 @ 03:53 AM
link   
I had the same, but I tought it was from another site.

There is also a download message box about a ".cab" file.

Don't open it.

[Edited on 30-5-2004 by Nans DESMICHELS]

posted on May, 30 2004 @ 02:44 PM
link   
I got it too. It changed my homepage and put something onto my desktop then started running it. I hit reset very very quickly then ran antivirus and adaware. Good to see its gone though.

posted on May, 30 2004 @ 03:03 PM
link   
I apologize for the problems. Our advertising network provider, RightMedia, has promised this type of thing would never happen. All of their ads have been disabled, and will continue to be so until I get absolute assurances that this type of thing will not happen again. Your security is much more important than our revenue.

posted on May, 30 2004 @ 03:42 PM
link   
www.pcpitstop.com... this site will help find out if you had anything on your PC is free and reliable.
This is for people that does not have antivirus or other programs to keep their computers safe.

posted on May, 30 2004 @ 03:46 PM
link   
When this computer crashes again Im wiping it clean and putting Linux on it. If you've never used Linux before you dont know what you're missing. Windows sucks!

posted on May, 30 2004 @ 03:50 PM
link   
I own computers since 1996 and in all that time I had about 3 crashes and It was not virus related but rather human error. So far xp with his systems restore has been find I had it for over a year and so far so good.

posted on May, 30 2004 @ 10:03 PM
link   
I found the trojan on my system too... I can't believe a banner ad can give you a virus... that is just messed up!

new topics

top topics

join