It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

politician rants about traveling 2nd class!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 19 2010 @ 08:02 AM
link   
this story which has recently hit MSM in britain is disgusting.

in basic terms a veteran politician has kicked up a fuss about politicians not being able to travel 1st class on public transport (paid for by public tax money)

his speech was as clear as day and showed clearly the high opinions politicians have of themselves and their low opinions they have of the public.

David Cameron can stop waiting for the next Tory gaffe – it arrived this morning in the form of Sir Nicholas Winterton, the veteran backbencher, who spoke on Radio FiveLive. He argued – very pompously – that all MPs should be allowed to travel first class on trains. His reasoning? Those in standard class are “a totally different type of people. There’s lots of children, there’s noise, activity… All I can say is I like to have peace and quiet when I travel.”

anyone else feel complete anger towards him yet? it gets better!......

Stephen Nolan, the BBC interviewer, responded with disbelief: “Sir Nicholas, the totally different type of people are ordinary, decent people. They’re not a different type of person because they don’t have a couple of hundred quid extra to move into a different class of carriage,” he said.

at least the reporter seems decent enough.....

As the exchange grew more heated, Sir Nicholas argued loudly: “Don’t lecture me! I’ve been in public life for nearly half a century. I’ve represented miners in local goverment. I’ve represented the people of Macclesfield for nearly forty years.

what he means is for 40 years hes been in charge of a region of people he believes are inferior to himself. it gets worse.......

So we are supposed to stand when there are no seats? And why are we going to waste our time when we can work on the train as we do? It infuriates me

It is not up to the public to decide how we travel. That is a parliament decision, the public are wrong.

this for me just confirms what we all have long thought, that there really is an ‘us and them’ situation. We have a governing body who truly believe they are entitled to a more lavish lifestyle than the regular folk.

i bet he thinks that the public dont mind 2nd class travel and like crowded carriages or lack of seats. what do we need first class travel for anyway right? i dont think so!

and you can almost be sure that if 1 of them thinks this way...many more do aswell.

its an example of how little the government think of the public.

posted on Feb, 19 2010 @ 08:04 AM
link   
It's simple really, he should get to go first class....as long as he pays for it himself!

That sound's fair to me!

S & F

[edit on 19-2-2010 by Rising Against]

posted on Feb, 19 2010 @ 08:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by Rising Against
It's simple really, he should get to go first class....as long as he pays for it himself!

That sound's fair to me!

[edit on 19-2-2010 by Rising Against]

exactly...everyone has the choice right? if billy bob from the small house dwn the street can afford 1st class he can...he pays for it out his own pocket.

same should apply to duke wellington the 3rd from the mansion on the far side of town...he can afford it so he can use it...but out of his own pocket...not the pockets of the regular people...all this dodgy expense claims politicians are doing is costing millions...which could go on schools, hospitals, fire engines, safer roads, elderly care the list goes on...instead it goes on politicians 1st class travel, second homes, garden statues or flash cars.

posted on Feb, 19 2010 @ 08:38 AM
link   
Yeah that guys a real jerk.

I agree he should have to pay for his own ticket.

That guy sounds like he feels he is Entitled to suck off the publics' tit, but yet never have to face the public. Funny irony.

posted on Feb, 19 2010 @ 08:44 AM
link   
oh the poor fragile darling - having to scum it with the rest of us! It must have been horrible for him!

I agree totally with Rising Against - if he needs his peace and quiet so desperatley - he can pay for it, or at the very least pay for the upgrade.

I'm sure alot of the parents of screaming kids would very much want some peace and quiet and a nice little relax in first class too though, and i daresay they probably deserve it more! ;p

posted on Feb, 19 2010 @ 08:55 AM
link   
reply to post by bkaust

Hi,

Before they brought in 'quiet carriages' (no mobiles) I was once on an assignment that allowed me to travel 1st Class from London to Manchester.

I think around Watford I used to move to 2nd class because of all the people mouthing off (to their captive audience) what a great week-end they had had etc. They would then ring their next acquaintance and repeat their loud performance.

The ticket inspectors were always bemused - simply told them it was quieter in 2nd class.

Peace!

posted on Feb, 20 2010 @ 05:28 AM
link   
its disgustin these guys need to be removed..we need a new leadership but by new i mean completely fresh nobody from the current parties.

posted on Feb, 23 2010 @ 11:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by Rising Againstas long as he pays for it himself! [edit on 19-2-2010 by Rising Against]

From money that was not obtained in any way from taxpayers or lobbyists.

posted on Feb, 24 2010 @ 12:03 AM
link   
pay for it with his own money?

He will be over paid anyway from tax payers, if he had to pay it himself, he would just get a pay rise.

Let them walk in the shoes of ordinary people before allowing them to become politicians.
and then make them slum it every couple of years for a month or 2 as a reminder of what life is all about.

posted on Feb, 24 2010 @ 12:06 AM
link   
reply to post by Silicis n Volvo

HA! You think that's bad???? I would love to see an American politician be forced to travel 2nd class, there'd really be a rant to make his seem almost polite!!!!

[edit on 24-2-2010 by ldyserenity]

top topics

join