It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Report: Officers lose 243 Homeland Security guns

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 19 2010 @ 01:07 AM
link   

Report: Officers lose 243 Homeland Security guns

www.cnn.com

Department of Homeland Security weapons were lost -- some falling into the hands of criminals -- after officers left them in restrooms, vehicles and other public places, according to an inspector general report.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Feb, 19 2010 @ 01:07 AM
link   
Whether or not you believe the Department of Homeland Security serves a positive or negative purpose, this is just gross negligence. I understand that there are situations where the loss of a weapon is unavoidable, but really, a federal agent leaving a weapon in an idling vehicle? There is no excuse for this kind of behavior.

www.cnn.com

posted on Feb, 19 2010 @ 01:37 AM
link   
Man they must be boozed up on the job or something to lose so many of them like that.

What does a "homeland security" officer do exactly anyway?

posted on Feb, 19 2010 @ 01:42 AM
link   
There is a purpose these things happen.

Disgusting.

posted on Feb, 19 2010 @ 02:10 AM
link   
it appears the weapons have found new a home.
in the hands of people who want to protect their land.
in the glove box of those who fear for their security.

posted on Feb, 19 2010 @ 02:10 AM
link   
DHS agents are probably even more a gang of thugs than the FBI. They remind me of the guys who hang around a mob boss's hideout in a B-movie.

posted on Feb, 19 2010 @ 02:13 AM
link   
It doesn't make sense. Do you know what kind of handguns they issue to Homeland Security agents? It's the CZ 75B, the Czech Arms high-capacity 9mm — a beautiful and expensive semi-auto that is in high demand. If you laid your hands on the CZ 75B, you would would not want to part with it, it's just that beautiful and awesome a firearm.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/37347d43a15e.jpg[/atsimg]

You see 'em in most Hollywood shoot 'em ups today, and Homeland Security loves them, too.

Really weird that anyone would leave a gun like this in a public restroom or on the seat of an unlocked car. Doesn't make sense.

— Doc Velocity

[edit on 2/19/2010 by Doc Velocity]

posted on Feb, 19 2010 @ 02:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by bsbray11

They fall asleep on the job, lose their sidearm, and shake down crippled kids and old women.
Henrich Himmler would have been so proud.

posted on Feb, 19 2010 @ 02:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by RoboKy

Whether or not you believe the Department of Homeland Security serves a positive or negative purpose, this is just gross negligence. I understand that there are situations where the loss of a weapon is unavoidable, but really, a federal agent leaving a weapon in an idling vehicle? There is no excuse for this kind of behavior.

www.cnn.com

As Janut Uncompetano says,"the system is working."

posted on Feb, 19 2010 @ 02:26 AM
link   
reply to post by Doc Velocity

It's still a 9mm and there are better guns out there. Sig, Kimber, and the list goes on.

posted on Feb, 19 2010 @ 02:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by Zosynspiracy
It's still a 9mm and there are better guns out there. Sig, Kimber, and the list goes on.

Think budget. The 9mm was invented to kill in combat situations at a hefty 150 feet with a high-capacity magazine and low maintenance requirements. It's a penetrating round, not so much a stopping round.

Sure there are other, larger rounds out there, but you're not going to find a semi-auto 45 with 19-round capacity and the ability to drill holes all the way through an engine block at 50 yards, and that costs less than $700.

— Doc Velocity

[edit on 2/19/2010 by Doc Velocity]

posted on Feb, 19 2010 @ 03:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by Doc Velocity
Really weird that anyone would leave a gun like this in a public restroom or on the seat of an unlocked car. Doesn't make sense.

Originally posted by Violater1

Originally posted by bsbray11

They fall asleep on the job, lose their sidearm, and shake down crippled kids and old women.

That's why I'm saying these guys must be drinking and drugging on the job. Get drunk, go take a piss, take your gun out for whatever stupid reason, then forget about it and leave it. Or go do a line off of it in the bathroom and forget it and leave it. lol

If I were getting paid to sit around with my thumb up my ass I might do it too.

posted on Feb, 19 2010 @ 03:22 AM
link   
Good to see Homeland Security is settin the bar high for the new decade....
Lose a few liberties lose a few hundred guns.....
Dont ya love how functional our governent and its agencies can be

posted on Feb, 19 2010 @ 04:38 AM
link   
This story and or the fact that its out there is hard to believe.

posted on Feb, 19 2010 @ 05:15 AM
link   
Give them 30 days unpaid leave and they will thing again about loosing there weapon,

I wonder if any have ended up in mexico with a drug cartel.
I also wonder if we would ever hear about it if one did.

posted on Feb, 19 2010 @ 10:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by ANNED
Give them 30 days unpaid leave and they will thing again about loosing there weapon,

30 days? I'd buy 30 days for a lost shoe lace. Or 30 days for lost credit cards.

Lose a firearm, and you are done. You will never work for the USA again in any capacity. In addition, you will not be licensed to ever carry a handgun again...never...anywhere.

The loss of that weapon amounts to more than financial. They were issued that weapon because of need. When the weapon is lost the need is not served. The mission is compromised.

The loss of a weapon, the loss of a computer/files storage device or the loss of identification compromises others, and can not in anyway be tolerated.

posted on Feb, 19 2010 @ 10:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by Doc Velocity
It doesn't make sense. Do you know what kind of handguns they issue to Homeland Security agents? It's the CZ 75B, the Czech Arms high-capacity 9mm — a beautiful and expensive semi-auto that is in high demand. If you laid your hands on the CZ 75B, you would would not want to part with it, it's just that beautiful and awesome a firearm.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/37347d43a15e.jpg[/atsimg]
, too.

— Doc Velocity

Not sure where you got this info, but every DHS field agent I have worked with carries a Sig 226 or 229, NOTHING else. You may want to check your source. I also believe they signed a contract with Sig as primary supplier.

posted on Feb, 19 2010 @ 11:15 AM
link   
reply to post by rcwj1975

DEA, FBI, NCIS, Coast Guard, ICE, Secret Service, Diplomatic Security Service, The National Park Service, Army CID, Airforce OSI, United States Department of Veterans Affairs Police, Department of Homeland Security and Air Marshalls use Sig Sauer pistols. They all use some variation of the 226, 228, 229 family.

Based on the pictures I've seen the CZ could be mistaken for a Sig 226 if the manufacturers markings are obscured.

posted on Feb, 19 2010 @ 11:17 AM
link   
reply to post by rcwj1975

You are correct. Sigarms has THE contract for arming Treasury, Homeland Security as well as NCIS, and the capital guards in DC. Most agents for Secret Service also carry Sigs as their sidearm. They are ALL in .40 caliber.
The 9mm is ineffective on heavy clothing and will bounce off most windshields and door panels and not penetrate. It's one of the reasons they are reissuing .45 Acp to many of our troops. The 9mm won't stop the insurgents they are coming in contact with.

PS Sorry Mike, you beat me to it!

Zindo

[edit on 2/19/2010 by ZindoDoone]

new topics

top topics

join