It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Just Chemicals?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 18 2010 @ 10:46 PM
link   
I find it hard to believe that these things can be created by chemicals in the Brain.

How can chemicals create Art?

How can chemicals create a symphony?

How can chemicals make us feel Love?

i would like someone to give me and answer?

posted on Feb, 18 2010 @ 11:16 PM
link   
I can't answer your questions because Consciousness, the source of all you describe, is a quantum phenomenon. (Read Evan Harris Walker's The Physics of Consciousness (published 2000) to help understand this...)

Consciousness interfaces with the chemical apparatus, and relates to it, but it is NOT the chemicals that are doing the creating.

posted on Feb, 18 2010 @ 11:25 PM
link   
reply to post by Amaterasu

i think u are right that chemicals in our brains such as pinoline and dmt are only catalysts for it, a trigger or a switch that helps kickstart it or turn on coincessness ,they work together check out how the pineal gland works david wilcock explains it rather well also the left brain/right brain theory is interesting www.divinecosmos.com

posted on Feb, 18 2010 @ 11:30 PM
link   
it also has alot to do with vibrations and frequency levels in the brain there are four main brain wave frequencies and scientist theorize since they cant prove it that all four waves need to be on and blending together and working at the same time the average human only uses one to two of these at a time ppl such as phychics ,clairvoyants shamans and other supernatural folks are said to use three if not all four waves this is the left brain/right brain theory

posted on Feb, 19 2010 @ 12:01 AM
link   
reply to post by the illuminator

As we "scientifically" understand brain it is bioelectrochemic factory - all based on quantum mechanics. We just started to understand particular events in brain but there is no widely accepted neurological theory of consciousness. And as was stated earlier art is product of consciousness (and subconsciousness) - not product of pure chemical reaction. I hear some residuum of positivism in your questions. Anybody who reduce act of art to chemical reaction is not scientist.

BTW I found very interesting possible connection between brain waves and frequency of Schuman resonance .

[edit on 19-2-2010 by zeddissad]

posted on Feb, 19 2010 @ 12:03 AM
link   

Well when people didnt know what caused lighting they said it was a magical god.....

Your taking a big step backwards in understanding. If we cant explian it yet then it must be magic..

how pitifull.

posted on Feb, 19 2010 @ 12:35 AM
link   

How can chemicals create Art?

How can chemicals create a symphony?

How can chemicals make us feel Love?

That you find it hard to believe is irrelevant, because they evidently do. No examination of the brain, on any level of resolution, indicate anything but physical and chemical processes at work. No mere gland or individual region can account for the "human" element. If anything, the only uniquely distinctive adaptation of the human brain is an enlarged prefrontal cortex wherein forward planning and other higher order functions take place. Even so, we're still talking about a group of more specialized regions interacting within a larger group.

Ultimately, the questions you're asking do not have answers. At least, not answers that I suspect you would find satisfactory, because you lose the higher level reaction by skipping the explanation of how lower level interactions create it, in an attempt to detail the electro-chemical interactions. How do you explain the events in a digital picture by examining on the level of binary code?

The answer you want is... complex. To truly be able to appreciate how the mind works, it would be helpful to get a brief familiarity with complex systems and emergent phenomena. That a system is more than the sum of it's parts, doesn't necessarily mean the parts you've accounted for are insufficient.

You don't need -- you don't need something more to get something more. That's what emergence means. ~ Murray Gell-Mann

Murray Gell-Mann: Beauty and Elegance in Physics.

Steven Pinker: How the Mind Works (pt 1 of 39)

posted on Feb, 19 2010 @ 07:08 AM
link   
"If real is what you can feel, smell, taste and see, then 'real' is simply electrical signals interpreted by your brain" - from The Matrix

There is no denying that reality is a chemical phenomenon. How you feel, think, behave, how you exist, it all boils down to the neural-chemical mix of your brain. Reality as we perceive it is just a certain neural-chemical pattern or make-up. Every change that occurs in reality is coresponded by a change in neural-chemistry. What you see, feel, smell, what you experience, it all comes down to the electrical signals in your brain. Electric signals which means electrons, electrons which are produced by neural chemical reactions. In the final analysis reality all comes down to consciousness and how consciousness is conscious of reality. Consciousness is nothing more or less than a chemical state of the brain. Call it a chemical pattern. Everything we see, hear, taste, touch, smell, any thing we are aware of physically, mentally, whatever, everything is a distinct chemical pattern of our brains. You open your eyes and see something, it is because of the chemical pattern of your brain. See something else and the chemical pattern changes. I fyou become conscious of something else, presto neural-chemical change. Every situtation, every state of existance has it's own corespondding neural chemical pattern.

How can chemicals create art? You're asking the wrong question. You are assuming that art is something that is created. What happens when art is created is that a certain neural chemical pattern is created, and this neural chemical pattern is what tells us that there is a work of art. Any work of art, is nothing less than one's awareness of it.

posted on Feb, 19 2010 @ 09:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by Lasheic
No examination of the brain, on any level of resolution, indicate anything but physical and chemical processes at work.

If, by "physical and chemical processes" you are including quantum mechanics, I suppose you are correct here. If you are not including the quantum (and as yet not understood), then I suggest you read Evan Harris Walker's The Physics of Consciousness. He makes a very good case for consciousness being something that interfaces at the quantum level, but though it interfaces at that level, it is something beyond the matter and chemicals it interfaces with.

top topics

join