It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hospital asks my sister to prepay for having her baby.

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 20 2010 @ 12:54 PM
link   
The whole idea of paying for health care is pretty alien to me but in some sense i understand where your coming from.

I don't know anything about health insurance but surely if she has health insurance it will pay for it??

Then again i am reading this thread quite ignorantly.

posted on Feb, 20 2010 @ 01:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by pumpkinorange

Originally posted by xynephadyn

Originally posted by pumpkinorange

Originally posted by xynephadyn
And to this day, I havent paid a cent.

How do you feel about receiving a service and paying nothing for it?

I AM ON MEDICARE BECAUSE I AM DISABLED BECAUSE I HAVE MULTIPLE SCLEROSIS- ASSHAT

So you havee resigned youself to being a non-producing citizen? Just a free rider for the rest of your life?

[edit on 20-2-2010 by pumpkinorange]

pumpkinorange,
I take exception to that statement, it is a dishonorable thing to call a person "a non-producing citizen" because that person happened to get disabled by some fault not their own. Take my case, for example. I was an over the road semi truck driver, hauling food products and medicinal products like Glucose in my tanker trailer. I got into a roll over crash that was caused by the weather, it rained a lot and water was across the road. My back was broken in three places, and my neck in two places. I can never work again, no matter what. I am a non producing citizen too, in your eyes. But I, like I dare say the person you are after here, does produce something, even though we are disabled. I myself repair computers for the poor in my area. Sometime the work is done for free, to help someone out. Does that make me a burden to you? Just because I cannot have a regular job and draw pay and pay taxes like you supposedly do, does that in itself give you the right to look down your nose a someone who is down, through no fault of their own? I think an apology is in order here, not to me, but to the person you called "non-productive."

posted on Feb, 20 2010 @ 01:38 PM
link   
reply to post by defcon5

Yes medicaid can be defined at socialized medicine but it is not designed to be socialized medicine. It is not meant to care for a population that pays into it. Medicaid and other welfare programs are programs of last resort. Despite what people think, no one is living off of it happily. IN order to socialize medicine, medicaid would have to be fully revamped and changed, and made into a full functioning system, that will also have a large working population putting into it, instead of being a being a tool of last resort.

posted on Feb, 20 2010 @ 01:47 PM
link   
reply to post by autowrench

They are just trolling. STop feeding the trolls.

posted on Feb, 20 2010 @ 01:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by autowrench
pumpkinorange,
I take exception to that statement, it is a dishonorable thing to call a person "a non-producing citizen" because that person happened to get disabled by some fault not their own. Take my case, for example. I was an over the road semi truck driver, hauling food products and medicinal products like Glucose in my tanker trailer. I got into a roll over crash that was caused by the weather, it rained a lot and water was across the road. My back was broken in three places, and my neck in two places. I can never work again, no matter what. I am a non producing citizen too, in your eyes. But I, like I dare say the person you are after here, does produce something, even though we are disabled. I myself repair computers for the poor in my area. Sometime the work is done for free, to help someone out. Does that make me a burden to you?

I am very sorry to hear your story. Absolutely, I do sincerely apologize to you and all who cannot work because of a disability. You are indeed working as you describe; you have not given up on having a productive life. I wrote my comments in frustration to persons who seem to have given up on having a productive life (fine, personal choice) and at the same time (not fine) actively seek public assistance (calling it "free") and even complaining about the quality or avail of it.

posted on Feb, 20 2010 @ 01:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by nixie_nox

They are just trolling. STop feeding the trolls.
\

Trolling?
You mean, thinking?
Indeed, you have offered no food for thought...indeed I would starve from your post.

posted on Feb, 20 2010 @ 02:11 PM
link   
A friend of mine had a similar bizarre situation while on medicaid. In Florida, medicaid doesn't cover the epidural. (who thought up that one must be unusually cruel) and my friend had to fork out 600 bucks ahead of time for the epi.
So she saved up 600 just in case. But it was her second child and by the time she got to hospital she was almost crowning and the lucky sob had her kid in a half hour and never needed it.

Congrats on the new delivery! Oh how I love babies.

I don't believe we should live in a society where health is something to be bought. it is a fundamental right.

I work in a welfare office. I see all walks of life. Not just single mothers like people think. I have seen former NASA engineers. I have seen beauticians, people who used to own their own companies.

Guess what, many people work. They don't get health insurance and can't afford it. Many people work 2-3 jobs and still don't make enough to get by. By all means they are not slackers. Many are in school trying to better their lives. One of my best friends had her kids and raised them on all welfare programs. She went to school, got a degree. Now she is getting ready to start her own company that will surely hire other pay, not to mention generate plenty of taxes. So to assume anyone is getting a free ride is downright unfair.

One person I have never seen walk into my office: a former doctor.

posted on Feb, 20 2010 @ 08:13 PM
link   
reply to post by pumpkinorange

Apology accepted, for me, I cannot talk for the other disabled people. This thing is, I, and people like me, did not ever ask to be this way. Normal healthy people cannot understand what it's like to be disabled. It is like being kicked in the gut. I remember well when I was told that I would never work again. I looked at that doctor like he came from outer space. When I had finished with my lawsuit, I went out and bought another semi truck! I leased it to a carrier, and hooked to a trailer, damn the doctors, I was still driving! I made the delivery OK, out in New Jersey. By the time I got back to Sandusky Ohio, my back hurt so fracking bad I could no longer sit behind the steering wheel. I laid there for two days, called the company to come get the trailer, and started slowly home. When I got home, I went to bed and told my then greedy wife to put a driver in the truck and put it back on the road. I had a lease and everything. No, she had to have money right now, so...she sold my 1978 international Harvester Long Nose 4300 that I paid over $17,000 for, then put another $10,000 in chrome and a new engine, for a measly $1700 to a grain hauler.

Before I was a driver I was an automobile mechanic, and that was the job I really loved. I spent 38 years of my life working on other people's cars and building cars for other people, and loved every second of it. I would chuck S.S. in an instant and go back if I only could. I iss my job, i miss those weekly paychecks too.

So, when you see a disabled person, someone with a blue playcard in the windsheild, don't think that this person is in it for the free ride, cause it most certainly is not a "free" ride by any means. In the doctor's office, or the hospital, we go last. why, No Blue Cross or other paid for insurance. Oh, I have insurance, but the doctor has to wait for several months before she can expect payment. And living on a "fixed income" isn't any fun either. I went from making over $1000 a week clear to making $720 a month. In the automotive trades, I easily made several million dollars, and never once thought I would be disabled.

posted on Feb, 20 2010 @ 08:16 PM
link   
reply to post by defcon5

None profit hospitals will give you care and follow ups, private hospitals will still give you care and can not deny service.

If you are to have a child they will have to deliver the child regardless no matter if they are private or none profit.

posted on Feb, 20 2010 @ 08:19 PM
link   
reply to post by nixie_nox

When is an entitlement program taken by the government from your tax money is to help those that are in need is actually socialize program.

Is just that you have not realized that yet.

We all that work are forced to pay for it even if we never get to used in our life time, but somebody else will and you are paying for it.

posted on Feb, 20 2010 @ 08:21 PM
link   
reply to post by cjcord

Thank you my friend, trust me is not rant when it comes to how much socialized care is done in this nation at the expenses of tax payers.

posted on Feb, 21 2010 @ 07:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by marg6043
reply to post by defcon5

None profit hospitals will give you care and follow ups, private hospitals will still give you care and can not deny service.

If you are to have a child they will have to deliver the child regardless no matter if they are private or none profit.

they are only required by law to provide necessary emergency services....break your arm, they'll slap a splint on it...
but, you will still want the arm set, won't you?

posted on Feb, 21 2010 @ 10:47 AM
link   
reply to post by defcon5

:-) He-he, no. We are far from bankrupt. We actually have a surplus. I believe we have close to 200 billion dollars in savings abroad. When you hold that up against us being less than 5 million people (less than Brooklyn) it's not so bad. The unemployment rate is around 3%, so I guess things are going ok over here...

BTW: I was reminded of an old saying the other day. It's what the old shoemaker said: "It's the easiest thing in the world to cut fat strips from someone else's leather..."

There you have it, I guess. The real problem that you have...is someone helping themselves to your leather.

posted on Feb, 24 2010 @ 07:56 PM
link   
reply to post by marg6043

Fine by me. We already pay more for healthcare then any other nation. Many Americans fail to realize we might actually save a bit of money by socializing it.

We have the most expensive healthcare system on the planet. We pay 50% more then any other nation. So I would rather my taxes go to people then corporations.

Our nuclear weapon arsenal alone, cost the US more then the next 15 countries total military budget combined.

People don't get their panties in a bunch about that. Yet they get their panties in a bunch about trying to keep their other citizens well.

[edit on 24-2-2010 by nixie_nox]

posted on Mar, 6 2010 @ 01:16 PM
link   
I have worked in the health insurance field for 7 years as a billing manager and patient advocate. I have worked for chiropractors, pharmacies, and hospitals...oh, the sickening stories I could tell you. Anyways, with the experience I have, I will tell you this: The hospital is wrong to charge her prior to billing the insurance company. See, the billing process is simple but fickle. First, your sister will be admitted, deliver her child, and spend a few days in the hospital for recovery. When each procedure is performed, the doctor makes note of it. Eventually it works it's way down to the medical billers and coders, who both provide appropriate diagnosis codes/procedure codes, and then bill the insurance. After anywhere from 15 to 30 days on average, the EOB or Explanation of Benefits is mailed to the hospital, along with a check or a bill. Every insurance company is different, but they all operate the same, be it private third party insurance, Medicare, Medicaid, etc.

Until the hospital receives the EOB from the insurance, the only information they have on your benefits is via the phone call they placed to verify your insurance when your sister became a patient there. CSR's for insurance companies generally fit into the 18-26 female demographic, as well as generally having incomplete education. Whatever they tell the hospital is all the hospital has to work with until they receive the EOB for services rendered.

Insurance companies love to change benefits on a monthly basis with no warning, so what is true this month is not necessarily true next month; as a result, even when an EOB is received, the hospital cannot guess as to what the next payment or bill might be. Everything is pure estimation.

They might be charging her $600.00 because they ASSUME that her portion of the bill will be about that much, but they cannot KNOW this. If she pays the $600.00 and the insurance company responds that she only owes $300.00, then the hospital has to hand out a refund, which is a long and arduous process...because honestly, who wants to give back money? Most patients won't even fight for it, and in the end the hospital writes off the excess and it disappears into the coffers of the management.

If you have any more questions, or if I seemed vague on anything, just let me know.

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join