It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hospital asks my sister to prepay for having her baby.

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 20 2010 @ 12:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by pumpkinorange

Originally posted by xynephadyn
And to this day, I havent paid a cent.

How do you feel about receiving a service and paying nothing for it?

I AM ON MEDICARE BECAUSE I AM DISABLED BECAUSE I HAVE MULTIPLE SCLEROSIS- ASSHAT

posted on Feb, 20 2010 @ 07:44 AM
link   
reply to post by Greenize

We are indenture servants from the time we are born to the federal government is just that people doesn't get it after all this years.

posted on Feb, 20 2010 @ 07:46 AM
link   
reply to post by defcon5

Public schools have more private interest invested on them that you may realize.

[edit on 20-2-2010 by marg6043]

posted on Feb, 20 2010 @ 08:17 AM
link   
There's something wrong here.

if in the US, with insurance that has a co-pay- you are not required to pay it up front if it is a medical necessity. If they are insisting you are- they are lying to you.

The only way they would require you to pay the co-pay up front in a delivery situation is if it is a voluntary procedure.

If a C-section is medically necessary, and the ob knows this, all your sister has to do is wait until labor begins, and show up at the hospital she planned to.

if this is a preplanned C-section for conveniences sake- she will need to pay up front.

Most, if not all hospitals in the US are covered by charity care, called different things in different areas, but all the same program. Those without insurance are covered for medically necessary procedures, the rest is sorted out after by sliding scale or income requirements.

The statement that all pregnant women are eligible for medicaid is not quite true. Most are, but there are some who may have an income well above any limitations of the medicaid system, or have pre-existing insurance, which makes them uneligible.

In may states there is a safety-net plans, for those who are not eligible for full medicaid, but still need financial assistance for insurance. They get a plan that pays a sliding percentage of fees, while still being covered for all emergencies.

Your sister should check with the state medicaid board, and see where she is eligible for supplemental state insurance, based on financial need. Of course, this is if the procedure is a medical necessity, and not just a convenience.

Hope that helps!

posted on Feb, 20 2010 @ 08:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by Unity_99

Health Care should be one of the main reasons you pay taxes and provided for free. I wouldnt be paying for their middle men business associates to take so much money that you'd be devastated all the time, or pay for black op projects or for useless government salaries or their wars.

A civilized advanced country looks after its own and taxes should be proportional to income, primarily wealthy people, loopholes for corporations closed so they pay as well, bascially you shouldnt pay anything until you're middle classed, and....boomerang back into your community in services.

Health care should be FREE. And the banking system, corporate slave system is hijacking liberty and sovereignity and is HIGHWAY ROBBERY OF CITIZENS.

Yip-yippee...that fun word "FREE"!!!!
Dont tax you, don't tax me, tax that man behind the tree!!
Do you think it's "civilized" to expect other people to pay for things you want and use?

posted on Feb, 20 2010 @ 08:46 AM
link   

I AM ON MEDICARE BECAUSE I AM DISABLED BECAUSE I HAVE MULTIPLE SCLEROSIS- ASSHAT

So you havee resigned youself to being a non-producing citizen? Just a free rider for the rest of your life?

[edit on 20-2-2010 by pumpkinorange]

posted on Feb, 20 2010 @ 08:48 AM
link   
reply to post by defcon5

umm you are at work and on a forum??? What is wrong with this picture??? No wonder people at hospitals are such uncaring jerks!! They are all forums, you should have never said you were at work, if I was in charge of you and I found you on a forum, you would be fired!

posted on Feb, 20 2010 @ 08:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by Koyaanisqatsi
Norway (where I live) is a prime example of socialized government (for good and bad). In addition to free healthcare (financed through taxes), we also get one year paid (80% of salary, or 8 month full salary) leave from work to be home with the newborn baby. 6 weeks are reserved for the father. If he doesn't take the leave, the 6 weeks are cancelled. That insures that almost every father i Norway spends at least 6 weeks at home caring for the newborn.

If your child doesn't attend kindergarten you get 500 us dollars each month until the child is three years old. That is in addition to 161 dollars that every mother gets for each child every month until the child turns 18.
If you are a single parent you get an extra 110 dollars per child.

Perhaps this is why the birthrate in Norway is still close to normal?

This is not an attempt to "show off" how great Norway is. It's just an attempt to show that there is more to meet the eye when it comes to what you term a "socialized government". It's not all bad.

That's it. I'm moving to Norway.

My husband asked for 3 weeks leave under FMLA here in Mass, and was told that HE wasn't the one giving birth, so he was not eligible. He had to take his vacation week instead.

posted on Feb, 20 2010 @ 09:00 AM
link   

So you havee resigned youself to being a non-producing citizen? Just a free rider for the rest of your life?

posts like this sicken me, god help you nothing ever happens to you or your family in your life.

I was diagnosed with brain tumor at 22, not been back to work since, being what you would call a free rider, but dont you think everyday i wake up wishing i never had this disease so i could enjoy life like normal people my age, not having to live with my parents and face scans every few months. a brain tumor and a life on wealthare is not a life style choice. Neither for those suffering MS or any other chronic illness.

Your lack of sympathy is what is wrong in the world. Just remember no ones invincible and at some time in your life you or one of your nearest and dearest may have to free ride at some point.

I am thankfull I live in a society that provides a safety net for it's citizens.

posted on Feb, 20 2010 @ 09:05 AM
link   

How silly of us. Perhaps to be fair to all, we should euthanize those who cannot work! I'm sure that would be the best solution...

Oh...wait...

posted on Feb, 20 2010 @ 09:09 AM
link   
You need to understand something. A hospital is a system of profit, no different from Wal-Mart, McDonald's, Shell. If they cannot guarantee payment from a client (not a patient anymore) they have no incentive to perform the service. This is the world we live in. It angers me but this is the reality of the situation.

posted on Feb, 20 2010 @ 09:18 AM
link   
reply to post by Immortal_Reiku2010

Actually, hospitals can not deny services to anyone, if you are having a baby and are already do, driving to the emergency room will ensure service regardless of insurance or not.

Then after the service the hospital will go after the payments.

This is how illegals get treatment and then run away leaving the tap to the tax payer.

Why no tax payer citizens doing the same? because they can track you more easily for payments.

Still is non profit hospitals that will work with the patient if money is not available at the moment.

In my neck of the woods we have a great hospital that is non profit but through donations they are able to give back to the community and save money to people that can not afford services.

posted on Feb, 20 2010 @ 09:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by woodwardjnr

posts like this sicken me, god help you nothing ever happens to you or your family in your life.

I was diagnosed with brain tumor at 22, not been back to work since, being what you would call a free rider, but dont you think everyday i wake up wishing i never had this disease so i could enjoy life like normal people my age, not having to live with my parents and face scans every few months. a brain tumor and a life on wealthare is not a life style choice. Neither for those suffering MS or any other chronic illness.

Your lack of sympathy is what is wrong in the world. Just remember no ones invincible and at some time in your life you or one of your nearest and dearest may have to free ride at some point.

I am thankfull I live in a society that provides a safety net for it's citizens.

Safety net, yes. Permanent, no. You are using the exception to override the rule. I won't question your situation. But frankly sympathy runs both ways. Poeple who work hard to pay the taxes to support people who want and seek things from the govt for "free", should at least consider there are others, yes many with "diabilities", working every day to subsidize those who drain the system. There is NO free lunch folks.
I have a good friend who has MS and she has a good job. While she qualifies for disability, she has chosen to not withdraw from thwe wrok world, which is part of life.
The very fact that folks can think and post and hang around on ATS indicates they have something productive they can contribute to the society and from which they can take pride in themselves.

posted on Feb, 20 2010 @ 09:24 AM
link   
reply to post by pumpkinorange

Sad thing is that we the tax payer, paid for those that can not afford to have insurance and lack of job and has done for a long time.

That is what Medicare and Medicaid is, we get gouged by the government every payday with the Medicare entitlement program just like taxes and SS, is taken out of our checks regardless.

Still when it comes to state level and local hospitals we get also taxed to pay for those that can not, double time and triple time over and over again.

posted on Feb, 20 2010 @ 09:28 AM
link   
reply to post by pumpkinorange

so because you know someone who is technically disabled but can still work, anyone who cannot work due to a disability is...lying? Lazy?

Oh, I see. Generalizations are fun, I know.

And because they can post on a message board means they can work a set schedule and maintain productivity?

I wasn't aware we had tasks set to us on ATS. perhaps we would be better set to not consider ANYONE disabled unless they are blind, mute and deaf...oh and paralyzed.

Do you not see how ridiculous you sound?

posted on Feb, 20 2010 @ 09:35 AM
link   
reply to post by cjcord

On, that I strongly disagree, the only thing that bothers me the most is how much of our tax payer money goes to people that are illegal in the US, I have not problem with people in real need of help.

Is people in need and those that ride the system and tax payer money by choice.

Look at my parents, hard working people all their lives now elderly and on Medicare, most of their life savings has gone to pay for the big pharma profits on medications.

Because thanks to Bush and his nice closed doors meetings with the big pharma they are now gouging their SS checks to pay for medications 200 dollars a month each and still the funny thing is that the medications are still expensive to them, even with my mother having a secondary private insurance paid by my sister because her hart conditions and diabetes, while my father had not choice but rely for the first time in his life on a veteran hospital that he is entitle as a Korean war veteran.

Life for hard working tax payers in their senior years is looking very sad and ugly.

posted on Feb, 20 2010 @ 09:58 AM
link   
reply to post by marg6043

This is why I added you to my friend list. I agree with you on every point. I too am a bit tired of being asked to support those who come here simply because it's easy to.

meanwhile, my family cannot get any assistance needed because we don't fit into a quota. Yes, I am angry that I have had to do the research to be able to know what rights I have as a citizen and had to fight for it, while many people waltz in and out without even having to speak the language or comply with any legalities.

But that has nothing to do with the topic. So i will stop ranting.

posted on Feb, 20 2010 @ 10:25 AM
link   
reply to post by cjcord

that's not to mention,
are the employers really willing to adapt a job for the disabled.
I can't lift much weight and expect to be able to walk all week. that's a fact. but well, even a job at your local 7/11 is gonna expect you to stock the cases of beer and sodas into the freezer. so well, I can forget about those jobs! I very rarely see a job that I am qualified for, that I would also be willing to do because I hold my ability to walk so sacred!!

those who are truly disabled (unfortuately, there are quite a few that aren't really!!), and the elderly deserve some of our taxmoney....
and, how do you know that the disabled aren't being productive? grandmas watch grandchildren, so single moms can go to work, they might be helping neighbors and friends, there are plenty of things to do that doesn't pay a paycheck, and yet, our world is a better place for it! even posting on forums!

posted on Feb, 20 2010 @ 11:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by mysticalzoe
umm you are at work and on a forum??? What is wrong with this picture?

Nothing, I monitor equipment and have to keep myself entertained while doing so. I can read online, watch TV, or read a book, as long as I stay awake and keep an eye on the screens. There is nothing wrong with entertaining myself while working in this position, but I have a somewhat unique job. There would be something wrong with it if I were in a position that involved working the floors giving patient treatment, but that is not what I do.

posted on Feb, 20 2010 @ 11:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by marg6043
Actually, hospitals can not deny services to anyone, if you are having a baby and are already do, driving to the emergency room will ensure service regardless of insurance or not.

Actually they can, and do. The ER is only required to stabilize you, they would certainly not admit you to the hospital proper.

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join