It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Lincoln hit it on the head with this quote

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 18 2010 @ 04:26 PM
link   
"I see in the near future a crisis approaching that unnerves me and causes me to
tremble for the safety of my country; corporations have been enthroned, an era of
corruption in High Places will follow, and the Money Power of the Country will
endeavor to prolong its reign by working upon the prejudices of the People, until
the wealth is aggregated in a few hands, and the Republic is destroyed."
Abraham Lincoln

posted on Feb, 18 2010 @ 05:02 PM
link   
The bankers probably read that quote over a hundred years ago and said "hey, that doesnt sound too hard, Johnson, get right on it". Mission accomplished.

posted on Feb, 20 2010 @ 05:49 AM
link   
ROfl Lincoln is a nutjob!!!! hes saying what ron paul says and the tea partiers.

See how stupid the folks are who call you a conspiracy nut? The greatest leaders knew what was going and still today it falls on deaf ears.

That is why we need to keep bailing out folks. Bankrupt it then lets repair it.

Burn the money for all i care.

posted on Feb, 20 2010 @ 12:19 PM
link   
Lincoln was a fascist pig that destroyed the nations currency, destroyed state sovereignty, and completely ignored the constitution on all levels, and instigated a war that killed more American's than any other war in US history.

Lincoln talking about enthroned corporations is a joke, much like Obama talking about ending war or upholding civil liberties.

I got campaign speeches from Obama that make him look like a Ron Paul conservative, total hype, all lies.

The left screams bloody murder any time anyone derides the great God King Lincoln, declaring they must a racist that supports slavery, which is patently ridiculous.

In case you missed it, America is the only nation in the world the had to go through a civil war to end slavery. The northern industrialists were using slavery as an economic weapon against the south.

As Rockwell says:

We emphasize economics and politics as major factors leading to war. The Republicans who came to power in 1860 supported a mercantilist economic agenda of protectionism, inflation, public works, and big government. High tariffs would have been a boon to manufacturing and mining in the north, but would have been paid largely by those in the export-oriented agriculture economy.

Southern economic interests understood the effects of these policies and decided to leave the union. The war was clearly related to slavery, but mainly in the sense that Republican tariffs would have squeezed the profitability out of the slave-based cotton plantation economy to the benefit of Northern industry (especially Yankee textiles and iron manufacturing). Southerners would also have lost out in terms of public works projects, government land giveaways, and inflation.

[edit on 20-2-2010 by mnemeth1]

posted on Feb, 20 2010 @ 12:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by mnemeth1
Lincoln was a fascist pig that destroyed the nations currency, destroyed state sovereignty, and completely ignored the constitution on all levels, and instigated a war that killed more American's than any other war in US history...

Lincoln is, without a doubt, the greatest US president to my mind. By creating the greenback and the using the Treasury Department in the correct way, he completely de-fanged a nacient banking clique that threatened the integrity of the nation. There is some credible evidence that Chase and Seward were planning a possibile coup d'etat against Lincoln in the midst of the Civil War, and he deftly rode out that internal struggle out.

I understand people from the South are going to feel differernly about the Civil War than us damn Yankees, and I admit the Northern moves on the South were not always fair. I think historians have deliberately glossed over some of the more economic aspects, like the relationship between Northern mill owners and Southern cotton producers, for example. IN addition, a number of war atrocities have been de-emphasized. The terrible cost of that war in lives -- at the time, it was the war in which more people had been killed than any other war in History (WWI and II managed to unseat it from this dubious honor). Sherman's slash-and-burn tactics in the South were among the most brutal known at the time. European nations were horrified at the way the civilian populaton of the South was devistated. So I understand that the issue of Lincoln will always be clouded for a lot of Americans and especially those who identify with the Southern states.

Anyway, I look at Lincoln's greatest success as the creation of the Greenback and the printing of Treasury gov't money instead of having the government borrow from a clique of bankers. Too bad the next half-dozen or so presidents were so weak and in the corporate back pockets you had the age of the robber barrons, where there was flagrant corruption and massive accumulation of wealth in a tiny number of hands. This in turn laid the groundwork for the creation of the Federal Reserve Bank in 1913, which is directly responsible for our current woes. So in a way, Lincoln was able to counter these forces and delay their "progress" to an amazing degree, which totally infuriated them of course. Nevertheless, he showed what a strong President could do and he upheld Andrew Jackson's stauch anti-central-banking philosophy.

For this reason in particular Lincoln deserves careful study in our own time because he showed how to reign in the very same forces that are the most out of control in the nation today.

[edit on 2/20/10 by silent thunder]

posted on Feb, 20 2010 @ 12:36 PM
link   
reply to post by silent thunder

Lincoln created the greenback to bypass the gold standard, real money, so he could fund his insane agenda.

Lincoln ended up destroying the currency in the process, and you want to thank him for this?

While the banks were terrible, what Lincoln did was a sick joke.

The northern industrialists were all for this, since they got the new money first.

[edit on 20-2-2010 by mnemeth1]

posted on Feb, 20 2010 @ 12:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by mnemeth1
reply to post by silent thunder

Lincoln created the greenback to bypass the gold standard, real money, so he could fund his insane agenda.

Lincoln ended up destroying the currency in the process, and you want to thank him for this?

While the banks were terrible, what Lincoln did was a sick joke.

The northern industrialists were all for this, since they got the new money first.

The greenback's role was later perverted. The Treasury department became cozy with the bankers after Lincoln and so the fundamental idea behind the currency was perverted. But if a Lincoln-type schema were to have prevailed, it could have strengthened freedom in the long-term throughout the nation and brought other benefits.

I agree the Northern industrialists were given preferential treatment as you wrote and it is unfair but from a realpolitk perspective its not really irrational.

top topics

join