It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Death ! Why do we NOT want to be given the pleassure to experience it ?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 19 2010 @ 08:57 AM
link   
reply to post by ATSdelurker

You are never alone.

Imagine waking up from a long dream..

posted on Feb, 19 2010 @ 11:18 AM
link   
reply to post by the way

Well... I believe we are both misunderstanding each other then.

Your reply was full of assumptions and questions that never were intended as a response or crossed my mind. My reply on you, was in the most sincere believe, you were attacking me. As Your post still isn't anywhere near what I was asking for.

The examples I gave are not my own oppinions about elderly people.
Used for the only reason for my question nothing more.

With this said. I apologize . My perspective on your post caused my reaction I still does when I read it.

If your interested, I'd like to start over. and learn where it went wrong.
Will you ?

posted on Feb, 19 2010 @ 11:31 AM
link   
Look, I'm happy to debate this-but the statement you said in your op is pretty clear?

On the subject of death, You said-
"But why not at sixty ? We have done what is needed for survival and don't have IMO any useful contribtion left to the world."

I have given my opinion which refutes this.

If this is not part of what you wish to discuss, why say it?

If you wish to also discuss-why do we not look forward to death?
I think I did mention that in my last post.

Perhaps you could clarify exactly what you are willing to discuss?

As far as i'm concerned, I have answered the fairly inflammatory examples you gave in your post. But I'm still off topic, right?

posted on Feb, 19 2010 @ 11:56 AM
link   
reply to post by the way

What I want to discus was why most people do not want to die young.

Why not sixty ? I intended to be a sentence on it's own. Not to be read related to the next. And why I used world was from natural perspective. As life has been fulfilled after reproducing and raising offspring. Not at all on what we contribute to our community.

I personally think there is much to learn from the elderly.
But I see know it could be interpreted different.

This is why a say of topic.
The arguments you gave I even agree with, yet I was blinded by the idea that you were bashing my thread.

To be precise.
What is it ? What makes us not want to die.

I Asked for.
My questions for you all. What is your oppinion on it and why do you think so ? Any theory is also welcome!

[edit on 19/2/10 by Sinter Klaas]

posted on Feb, 19 2010 @ 12:10 PM
link   
reply to post by Psychonaughty

Thanks.
I know that, which is why I'm not afraid of death itself.

The moments before dying though, where you have no control, instinctively fighting for one more breath and not being able to catch it, is a whole other story.

It doesn't help that I seem to have past life memories of being drowned by someone, and for some strange reason, I'm terrified of the idea that a volcano will blow any moment and getting buried alive in ash.

The other answer I can come up with for the OP's question of why don't we want to die young ... maybe procrastination? We seem to do that with practically everything else, why not death. lol!

posted on Feb, 19 2010 @ 12:32 PM
link   
reply to post by ATSdelurker

procrastination? I don't know this word

Could you explain it to me ?

Never mind !
It's actual quite funny

[edit on 19/2/10 by Sinter Klaas]

posted on Feb, 19 2010 @ 05:37 PM
link   
People don't want to die because they have no idea what death entails.

For many people, death is the great unknown. And while we usually like to explore the unknown, we're more likely to explore it when we know we can return. Excluding incidences of NDE's, death is an unknown where we cannot return.
We can die... find out everything about death... but we have no way of communicating our discoveries to those who are living.

Those who have had near death experiences (NDE) almost always lose their fear of death - because they realize that death is not an absolute nothingness.

I think that is why people are frightened of dying: they think death is the ceasing of everything.
As if when we die, we just completely cease to exist. People have seen corpses;and we know the gruesome things that happen to bodies when they die, so when confronting death most people can only think of the fact that when they die they will end up as nothing but a rotting pile of inanimate matter: filled with blood, sh*t, and worms.
It's not a very pleasing picture, so no wonder people want to extend their lives.

Those who believe that there is something after life, are not afraid of death. Maybe a little anxious - but not afraid.

And it makes no sense to me that people don't want to learn more about death. After all, if you're afraid of something that you know is inevitable: shouldn't you want to learn as much as you can about it so you can alleviate your fear and approach it with as much knowledge as possible?

posted on Feb, 19 2010 @ 06:04 PM
link   
I don't mind dying, or even dying painfully.

I don't want to die at the price of giving someone else pleasure/pain. My death is my own.

posted on Feb, 19 2010 @ 06:15 PM
link   
reply to post by xFloggingMaryx

Those who believe that there is something after life, are not afraid of death. Maybe a little anxious - but not afraid.

An exact point I do not understand.

Many people believe in an afterlife and a good one even.There are those who think life is about suffering.
What's holding them back ?

I think that is why people are frightened of dying: they think death is the ceasing of everything.
this would for a lot of people mean, no more fear of hell etc.

An easy way out even ?

Thanks for sharing !

posted on Feb, 19 2010 @ 08:14 PM
link   
For the use of seeing it a little More in perspective I found some info on the human life expectancy.

Life Expectancy by Age, 1850–2004
The expectation of life at a specified age is the average number of years that members of a hypothetical group of people of the same age would continue to live if they were subject throughout the remainder of their lives to the same mortality rate.

Visit the link for an oversight of our life expactancy.

When I saw this.
My ideas suddenly sounded less weird.

As you all can see not so long ago, people were expacted to get about 40 years old.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join