It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Iridium flares or UFO?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 18 2010 @ 01:42 PM
link   
After I took the trash to the curb this morning I kept an eye on the large amount of snow and ice hanging over the edge of our roof. (don't want to get clocked by it) I saw out of the corner of my eye a white light. I watched it for 10-15 seconds, then remembered I had my cell phone in my pocket, so I took it out and switched to camera mode. I snapped a picture hoping to get a good shot. I think I succeeded.

I sent a report to mufon. I got a quick reply from an investigator here in the Twin Cities. She said it was iridium flare 81. It very well could be, as I'm no expert, but to me and my 20-15 vision, the object didn't seem nearly high enough to be a satellite. It was high enough to be a reflection on a craft because the sun was to be rising soon.

The object didn't make noise, and had no wings.

Here's my question guys. At what altitude are those satellites flying? This object seemed to be about a mile up, as it was about half the size of a pencil held at arms length.

If it was a satellite, it has to be enormous to appear that big. I've seen satellites fly over while away from light pollution while camping. The object didn't seem to move as fast as those I seen many many times.

The sighting lasted perhaps 45 seconds.

Here is a link to my original email to mufon

Hope these links work as this is my first time trying in this forum

Here is a link to the picture I sent to mufon

Any help will be appreciated.

posted on Feb, 18 2010 @ 01:55 PM
link   
I didn't see anything,or is it the little dot in the middle?

If thats the case its impossible to find out what it is.

posted on Feb, 18 2010 @ 02:08 PM
link   
reply to post by saturnsrings

I'm leaning towards venus, as it's the last "star" out before dawn "morning star". Could easily be anything really, mylar balloon, anything shiny to reflect the rising sun

posted on Feb, 18 2010 @ 02:08 PM
link   
reply to post by saturnsrings

I'm leaning towards venus, as it's the last "star" out before dawn "morning star". Could easily be anything really, mylar balloon, anything shiny to reflect the rising sun

posted on Feb, 18 2010 @ 02:17 PM
link   
Why not go to the Heavens Above Website and check all the Iridium Flares visible from your location? Just guessing whether it might or might not be a flare will get you nowhere. This way will tell you, one way or the other.

WG3

posted on Feb, 18 2010 @ 02:28 PM
link   
reply to post by dashen

Venus is not visible at this time of year. It's too close to the Sun, rising and setting at about the same time.

posted on Feb, 18 2010 @ 03:09 PM
link   
Thanks for the reply guys.

The object was seen at about 6:45 this morning, so I think that eliminates iridium 81, but who am I to question. As Phage said, Venus isn't visible and I know venus when I see it, and it doesn't move quite that fast.

To sunspot0, yes it's the white dot in the middle (gives himself a pat on the back for getting it centered) but isn't as bright in the picture as it was to the naked eye. The object looked nearly perfectly round to me this morning.

Thanks waveguide3, I stopped by that site, but It reads like Greek to me.

If the times for iridium 81 are correct and in the central timezone (I'm in the western suburbs of Minneapolis) I don't think it could have been iridium 81 as I didn't go out side til a short time after it would have passed.

Thanks for the answers, I'm just looking for opinions as to what it could have been.

posted on Feb, 18 2010 @ 05:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by saturnsrings
Thanks waveguide3, I stopped by that site, but It reads like Greek to me.

If the times for iridium 81 are correct and in the central timezone (I'm in the western suburbs of Minneapolis) I don't think it could have been iridium 81 as I didn't go out side til a short time after it would have passed.

I guess you read Greek good! Iridium 81 flared over your area 3/4 hour earlier than your sighting, so it wasn't that clearly. Other satellites do also flare and most aren't covered by Heavens-Above. You would have to get much deaper into satellite tracking to find if there was a flare at the relevant time, but my bets are on a satellite flare of some kind. The progressive brightening and fade off are very typical.

It's impossible for you to estimate the height of a point light source. It maybe seemed at low altitude, but the brightness of some satellite flares belies their distance (typically 300-500 miles up). Iridiums can flare to magnitude -8, which is brighter than anything in the sky, bar the sun and moon. They also flare in broad daylight, which adds another interesting dimension to the issues.

WG3

[edit on 18-2-2010 by waveguide3]

[edit on 18-2-2010 by waveguide3]

new topics

top topics

join