It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obama-Dalai Lama Meet Shows U.s, China Stay Rivals

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 18 2010 @ 09:21 AM
link   
Obama-Dalai Meet Shows U.S, China Stays Rivals

Feb. 18 (Bloomberg) -- President Barack Obama goes into today’s meeting with the Dalai Lama on notice that it will anger China’s leadership and add tension to an already strained relationship.

So it seems that Obama does what he wants on many levels. After all, it seems the U.S leadership has a natural ability to anger the Chinese in many other related stories. Why not do exactly what China asked vehemently not to do?

Relations have suffered recently as the U.S. announced a planned $6.4 billion arms sale to Taiwan, Google Inc. threatened to exit China on the grounds that user e-mail accounts were being hacked and China taxed American chicken imports after the U.S. imposed tariffs on Chinese tires. The two countries also have differed on steps to halt global warming and nuclear programs in North Korea and Iran.

U.S/China Relations Could Get Worse

(I hate Fox News, but it adds thoughts to the discussion)
Fox Discussion Regarding China

Why Is China So Steamed About The U.S Meeting The Dalai Lama?

The Chinese are extremely upset and have even hinted they will try to injure the American economy if the meeting occurs. -AP

[edit on 18-2-2010 by EagleTalonZ]

posted on Feb, 18 2010 @ 09:35 AM
link   
reply to post by EagleTalonZ

So we see all these news stories coming out about how upset China is with the U.S about arms sales to Taiwan, all the bickering back and forth, China threatening us, we threaten them and now Obama decides, "Hey.. I'm gonna do what I want!" - and decides to meet the Dalai Lama anyway. Nice plan.

Now China is threatening to hurt our economy. We barely have a leg to stand on as it is. I can think of several ways they can hurt us. Walmart is completely filled with 'Made In China' products. Plus if China dumps the bonds, we're screwed.

Am I the only one who doesn't think it's wise to mess with China? Obama is completely ignoring everything and serving his own agenda. This is pure ignorance on the Administration's part.

posted on Feb, 18 2010 @ 10:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by EagleTalonZ
Am I the only one who doesn't think it's wise to mess with China?

I sure hope so.

China does *not* dictate to America whom they may and may not talk to. Why would you want anyone to tell America whom they can speak to?

This is a philosophical stance. I fully support Obama talking to the Dalai Lama. If China wants to talk to the Castro brothers, be our guest, we will grumble a bit I am sure...but wont deny them their right to talk to whomever the F they want.

incidently, did you know Fidel came to the US several times, along with Irans president...America didn't like it, but we accept people talking to those we have disagreements with...even in our own country.

So...your argument is that America should simply let China be our parent? Your mindset is that of a slave.

posted on Feb, 18 2010 @ 10:55 AM
link   
reply to post by SaturnFX

Agreed, and I would further add that most, if not all recent presidents have had at least one visit with the Dalai Lama over Chinese objections. I'm not an Obama fan in the least, but I can't criticize him for any of this.

And what are the Chinese going to do? Dump their debt holdings? That's an excellent plan...if they want to get a fraction of the total value and lose their largest export market. There's an old saying that applies here: if you owe someone a little money, its your problem. If you owe someone a lot of money, its their problem, too.

posted on Feb, 18 2010 @ 01:11 PM
link   
Go Obama!!!

As the leader of the world's only superpower, you must support democracy, freedom and human rights!

posted on Feb, 18 2010 @ 01:23 PM
link   
Every time the Dalai Lama is going to meet with a President it gets moved to a different location or room in the White House. China doesn't want the United States to have an Official meeting with the Dalai Lama in the White House as say the leader of Germany would have. This in China's view is the Untied States recognizing Tibet's government in Exile in India.

I'm looking forward to seeing the Dalai Lama this spring. Finally.

posted on Feb, 18 2010 @ 02:00 PM
link   
So then the popular opinion is: Ignore China. Do what you want. Even if it costs us something major, such as our economy? Well... to be honest, I am ready for the tinder box to explode so it might as well be due to this.

I'm just saying I'm pretty sick of Obama ignoring everything everyone says and pushing forward with his own agendas. China and the U.S need each other. It seems like it could have been wiser to have made some sort of diplomatic effort to stop angering China lately.

Oh well...

But trust me, Saturn, I am no slave. Nor is my mentality. You could read a few of my other posts to confirm as much. But thanks for your thoughts.

posted on Feb, 18 2010 @ 02:48 PM
link   
China always loses it when it comes to the Dalai Lama.
One reason why the Chinese authorities can't handle the Dalai
Lama is because most of their grandparents were Buddhist and
this intimate ancestral proximity not only pushes their buttons
but leaves them guilt-ridden and insecure to the core.
As it should.

The uncouth Chinese misleaders treat the Tibetans like medieval serfs.
This lack of virtue on China's part leaves them joyless and to
live meaningless lives in ill humour.

China's misleaders imprison Tibetans for merely possessing a photo
of the Dalai Lama. I have never heard of a deeper level of insecurity
in history. The Dalai Lama has always tried to keep the Tibetans on
a path of non-violence. For this unwavering virtue he was awarded
the Nobel Peace Prize. Chinese misleaders do not get a peace prize
they do get the middle finger from freedom-loving Americans.

America is free to do whatever the F**k we want.
Non-violent heroes like Martin Luther King get a holiday.
Chinese misleaders who hurt Tibetans get the middle finger.
Non-violent heroes like the Dalai Lama get respect from our
Presidents.
Chinese misleaders who imprison Tibetans for a photo of DL get
an over-the-ocean psychic kick in the ass.

Chinese misleaders are evil ghouls who will be reborn as dung beetles.
(like American misleaders AKA - Dick Cheney- Rumsfeld, etc.)

A person who only does something for economic reasons is a prostitute.
Thank god not everyone in our country is a greedy whore.

I honor Obama for not allowing America's freedom to be subjugated
to Chinese misleaders. Obama just gained a few more points in my
book.

top topics

join