It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Scientology, religion liable for injury when opposing medical treatment?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 29 2004 @ 10:50 PM
link   
In the latest round of the debate over Scientology as a religion, or a cult (whatever term you prefer for these special people) they have agreed to pay for the wrongful death of Lisa McPherson. McPherson was involved in a traffic accident, and then requested psychiatric intervention. The woman took off all her cloaths in the middle of the street and asked to talk to someone.

Scientologists showed up at the hospital and convinced McPherson to sign herself out AMA. This is where the real stupidity started, as she should have been committed for observation for at least the 72 hours allowd without a hearing to prevent this cult influence. She obviously was a danger to herself and others, as she had been involved in a traffic accident.

Now the real fun starts, Scientolgists took the woman to one of their compounds where she was treated with Chloral Hydrate and Mg+ injections. Real top notch care we have going on here, by a doctor who wasn't allowed to practice in FL anyway. Long story short, the woman stopped eating and died. The family sued, and Sceintology finally settled the suit for a undisclosed amount.

www.sptimes.com...

When a religion opposes medical treatment, espically if they take an active role in care, such as here, are they liable for the outcome if they do not use all available resources to help the patient? When a religion opposes psychiatric treatment, should we assume that it is a cult conspiring to further mind control over their membership? Do they assume liability because they took an active role, because they opposed psychiatric treatment, or they advised against an accepted medical treatment?

If they assume liability because of opposing a medical treatment, what about Christian Scientists or Johovah's Witnesses?

And in a very specific sense, was this an attemt by Scientology to assert cult like control over a member and prevent someone from leaving the church? What's up with these guys?

posted on May, 29 2004 @ 10:58 PM
link   
Clearwater Florida is thier meccha, it is a cult. Famous actors, Tom Cruise, John Travolta and Kelly Preston to name a few are Scientology.

Here is a link to the Lisa Mcpherson memorial page:

www.lisamcpherson.org...

Although I agree with the rulings in Pinellas County in Clearwater Florida on this case as well as the appeals court, they happen to be the same exact judges in another case I am following, where judicial tyranny is taking place.

But what the Church of Scientology did to this woman should be considered criminal, I believe the criminal charges were dropped however.

[Edited on 29-5-2004 by Narnia]

posted on May, 30 2004 @ 09:52 PM
link   
This is really nothing new. Many religions have theological problems with modern medicine and it can have very tragic results

Aside from Scientologists the Christian Scientists are horribly anti-medicine to the point where members do not vaccinate their children at all, and some members do not even set broken bones, believing that their faith in God will heal them. Interestingly they do believe that dentistry is not medicine
and they can have all modern dental procedures done.

As I study more religions I find myself more and more at odds with those that shun medicine. I believe that there are times when the American freedom of religion is used as a smokescreen to infirnge upon the rights of others to saftey and well being. I think that while this is a delicate issue the US government should follow the lead of the Europeans and force parents to do what is proven to be in the best interests of their children.

Now as for people like the woman in Florida, she willingly went with the cultists, the choice was her own, this will probably protect the cult from any leagal action in criminal courts but a good deal of money could be won by the woman's family in a civil action.

I will also say that this just adds more proof to the Chinese Government's controverical statement that religion can be one of the most dangerous things on the planet, and tragic results can come of the misuse of faith.

posted on Jun, 1 2004 @ 04:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by The Astral City
This is really nothing new. Many religions have theological problems with modern medicine and it can have very tragic results

Aside from Scientologists the Christian Scientists are horribly anti-medicine to the point where members do not vaccinate their children at all, and some members do not even set broken bones, believing that their faith in God will heal them. Interestingly they do believe that dentistry is not medicine
and they can have all modern dental procedures done.

Uh huh... Are you talking about the Church of Science? I hope you are not talking about Christians in general because that just retarded.

As I study more religions I find myself more and more at odds with those that shun medicine. I believe that there are times when the American freedom of religion is used as a smokescreen to infirnge upon the rights of others to saftey and well being. I think that while this is a delicate issue the US government should follow the lead of the Europeans and force parents to do what is proven to be in the best interests of their children.

How the hell can they "infirnge" on others rights. Do you know plenty of non religious people don't like the vacinations? Do you know why? Bet not, allow me to inform, one, people do generaly die from them, granted it is not a lot, but a percentage of people do end up dead. Flu shots kill a lot of older people. Because the are prone to slightly bring on the flue. A older man or women getting even a slight case of the flu, can be deadly. The same goes for a young child.

Now as for people like the woman in Florida, she willingly went with the cultists, the choice was her own, this will probably protect the cult from any leagal action in criminal courts but a good deal of money could be won by the woman's family in a civil action.

I will also say that this just adds more proof to the Chinese Government's controverical statement that religion can be one of the most dangerous things on the planet, and tragic results can come of the misuse of faith.

(post by JollyAll removed for a serious terms and conditions violation)

top topics

join