Help ATS with a contribution via PayPal:
learn more

Are U.S. Coins inherently safer than Federal Reserve Notes?

page: 1

join

posted on Feb, 18 2010 @ 08:24 AM
link   
All my U.S. Dollar paper money has "Federal Reserve Note" printed on it.

None of my U.S. Dollar coins have that printed on them.

So.... is the coin inherently safer than the FRN in case of extreme banking troubles? Is it possible that the United States Government could dump the FRN and switch to U.S. Dollar Money as a way of shedding the global banking parasites? I think this could lead to a whole new series of paper money, U.S. coin usage in the interim, and gold becoming very valuable for international trade not to mention a solid valuation of U.S. standards of living.

posted on Feb, 18 2010 @ 09:10 AM
link   
just remember that all our coins are now made out of worthless metal, as in they are worth less than what tender they represent. The Fed is the number one holder of U.S. debt, I have a hard time thinking they would want anything to do with change in the first place. Although it would be funny if we could repay all the debt owed to them(and get a little payback for the stranglehold of our monetary system) collecting all the change in the nation to make installments on our debt. Then when they want to exchange the coins for cash, we can charge them a nominal exchange fee. Or helicopter loads full of pennies dropped from about 1000 feet right on the Federal Reserve headquarters.

posted on Mar, 12 2010 @ 06:54 AM
link   
It doesn't matter what the coins are made out of. None of them say ''Federal Reserve'' on them. Read Alan Greenspan's article. Gold still floats all on its own, valued in all currency and in all locations.

What if the U.S. Mint started making $5, $10, $20, $50 and $100 coins and selling and shipping them direct to the banks?

The Mint could sell the coins for physical Federal Reserve Notes only. Then the government could pay the FRNs back to the Federal Reserve and the coins could continue to circulate.

They could make $500, $1000 and $10,000 coins for larger ''cash'' transactions.

Most transactions nowadays are done digitally with cards and checks anyway. Why not just shed the Fed?

[edit on 12-3-2010 by Cabaret Voltaire]

posted on Mar, 12 2010 @ 06:59 AM
link   
Your coins aren't worth their value. They aren't made out of gold or silver anymore so they are as unsafe as your notes.

posted on Mar, 12 2010 @ 07:16 AM
link   
I'm talking about a coin made by the U.S. Mint that is denominated in U.S. Dollars. Bypass the Bureau of Engraving and Printing. Start replacing paper with coins until all the paper is gone. Eventually you could make a new series of paper notes, but to begin you would just use coins as an easy way of recognizing the goal of getting rid of the paper notes.

It doesn't matter what the coin is made of. Gold and silver still trade at free market values in all currency. You can buy gold and silver if you want. I'm saying that the U.S. Government could start to replace FRNs. Or does this always get the President shot like Lincoln and Kennedy?

[edit on 12-3-2010 by Cabaret Voltaire]

posted on Mar, 15 2010 @ 08:23 PM
link   
i'm going out tomorrow (tuesday 16 march '10) and purchasing
a fistfull of dollars {the Silver type of Silver-Eagles) minted by the US Treas.
they are intrinstically worth whatever One Ounce of .999% silver is worth

they are not made of the junk metals of 1964 and later coins,
the Canadian Maples are .9999% silver but are less expensive than the US Eagle Silver...

tonight, the coins were spot priced at $19.51 USD and the better grade Maple Leaves with QE on the front, selling for $19.03
If the Authorized Dealer has Canadian's that what i will buy more of.

in any case, i'm a small time accumulator = maybe 3-5 coins tommorrow
& stash 'em fo later

posted on Mar, 23 2013 @ 11:51 AM
link   
2/2 continued...

i am still periodically buying Silver...

i am inclined to buy the .9999 pure Maple Leaf of Canada and the only .999 Slver Eagle of the US mint on a 50-50 basis

i also am thinking the purity numbers ( 0.9999 Canadian) versus (0.999 American) is not an accident and might be a factor in the value and the veracity of the weight of Silver, (Troy ounce) between the two Mint Coins

i bet that pre 2013 silver (or gold) coins will be a preferred mintage in the future, as rumors might be that the (post 2013) USA coins are really inferior in the purity and weight of precious metal promised to be in the coins...i surely trust the Canadians more than i trust the American's recent administrations who might be already fudging the PM content of coins right now even as the gov't furloughs workers for the Sequester Budget cuts now underway

this ~ the reliable mint coin value~ will be important as the FRN collapses to 1/10 its present value in our 1-5 year future---- and trade...swaps...and a coin economy for main-street emerges while the banking system/wall street FRN world collapses all around us

so, it is a very flimsy kind of hedge, but i am insisting on collecting both American Eagles and Canadian Maples on a 50-50 basis

the current prices with mark-up over spot is around $31.60 for silver... a pretty good jump from the $19.00+ posted in the earlier post i made ...Huh a $10 buck gain already
edit on 23-3-2013 by St Udio because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 23 2013 @ 11:59 AM
link   
reply to post by St Udio

That 19 dollars was a pretty good mark up over the 9 dollar low it came to several years ago too.

Perhaps in a decade when silver is 400 dollars an ounce, 31 dollars will look like an absolute steal too

posted on Mar, 23 2013 @ 12:16 PM
link   
The metal in a new penny is only worth a quarter of a penny at the current prices of metals. At least four newer pennies are worth a penny though. If the dollar drops the metals go up a little so the newer penny should still remain the same. If it takes four times the amount of pennies to buy a can of food, at least you can buy the food. Paper money could be worthless but still could be used as toilet paper

new topics

top topics

join