posted on Feb, 21 2010 @ 09:08 AM
Originally posted by SilentShadow
Originally posted by duff_lyricist
i cant see how the internet can ever be restricted...its too big...how could governments restrict lets say access to a website?
The way they are doing it is this:
1. They have what is called an internet blacklist. This is made up of sites the government already knows about and doesn't like + sites that any
Australian thinks fit the criteria of a banned site and reports.
2. The pass the law that makes EVERY ISP in Australia block access to these sites.
3. Australian ISPs simply disallow any access to these sites. This is the easy bit, you can do it on your computer right now. You can make it so that
your computer has no access to certain sites.
I starred you for this one SilentShadow - but I think you're missing a lot.
1. The REAL impetus for censorship is coming from the media mega-corporations - they want:
- the ability to charge fees for access outside the censoring filters, [Profit motive]
- a secure hold on advertising revenue, which means 3rd party advertising will be illegal and sites like ATS will go bankrupt. [Profit motive]
2. Media mega-corporations are way more motivated to censor than government is - they're also protecting other business interests: notably Big
Pharma, Big Oil, etc. ...They have more to lose if truth gets out. [Profit motive]
3. Mega-corporations negotiate directly with government - and manipulate the public to support their agenda. It's the media that's scare-mongering
and pushing issues like "national security" and "online personal privacy" to justify censorship - all
- problems that can be solved
without censorship. But won't be without public demand.
4. Site blacklists probably won't be the main mode of censorship. It's labor-intensive and costly to update site blacklists - and much cheaper to
censor by "key phrases" and "terms." Also, laws are written to cover general terms, not specifically identified individual lawbreakers.
...When the censorship comes in, it will be according to key words and phrases - filtering programs will be written to censor out any site where any
of those words, terms or phrases might appear even once. So a lot of good and "decent" sites will be caught by the filter, and unjustly censored off
All in all a nasty business.