It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Recycling plastic? Oh, You Can Do Better Than That. How About a Green Burial?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 18 2010 @ 01:14 AM
link   
Forget recycling plastic, a REAL environmentalist recycles Grandma.

I want to buried like this. I wonder if the funeral industry is going to hop on the Green Machine and begin promoting these.

www.npr.org...

How in the world did I come up with this story to share, you ask?

I'll tell you.

I began with the thought, what if caskets are robbing our earth of minerals and nutrients it needs to survive? Thus, leading to our earth to become out of balance in some way.

I had no idea I was not the first to consider this!

When did we begin burying our people in metal indestructible boxes?

Even a wooden casket will eventually return something to the earth, if nothing more than your leaking fluids and flesh. (natural not embalming fluids).

"Joe Sehee points out that before 1860, people were buried, well, green for thousands of years.

Mr. SEHEE: It was really with the advent of embalming used during the Civil War to transport soldiers that really changed things in this country and really brought about the death care industry. "

Because we are depriving the earth of our bodies nutrients in death, could that lead to food not being AS nutritious as it used to be? Could the earth herself be depleted?

Look at all the weird autoimmune disease we have today. All the allergies.

Is there any merit to this theory?

Should the funeral industry offer and push biodegradable shrouds to be laid to rest in? Every one else is jumping on the green machine, but this is a Green idea I actually like.

Do we know how much harm to our environment embalming fluid causes? Today's caskets are supposed to be leak proof, but I have heard plenty of stories that say other wise.

www.thesoko.com...

"Funerals: Enemy of the Earth

The damage to the environment from a typical funeral begins with the embalming of the body. Embalming is a process of injecting the body with various chemicals combined to make embalming fluid, including formaldehyde (a Class 1 Carcinogen), glutaraldehyde, phenol, methanol, antibiotics, dyes, preservatives, additives, disinfectants and sanitizing agents. The purpose is to temporarily prevent decomposition of the body so that it may be displayed at a funeral. An embalmed body also looks more natural. Even a body that has been ravaged by disease or trauma can look more pleasing after embalming.

When the embalming chemicals leak into the soil as the body decays, they may have negative effects on the surrounding environment. 827,060 gallons of embalming fluid is buried in the United States each year. The main danger of embalming fluid is to the embalmer and those that manufacture the fluid since it had been known to cause cancer.

Contrary to popular belief, there is no law that states that a body must be embalmed. In most places in North America, the only reason you must embalm a body is if you are transporting it by plane. Traditional Jewish funerals do not involve embalming. "

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Or is this just another industry jumping on the green machine?

I think this should be encouraged and considered by everyone as a way to give the ultimate donation to our mother earth....ourselves.

Thoughts?

posted on Apr, 11 2011 @ 10:44 PM
link   
I wasn't the only one interested in the concept, here is another article, which contains many links on the subject, about green funerals.

Green Funerals

Creative Coffins

This option is a win-win for the environment and for those looking for a personalized coffin (seen above). Creative Coffins will print anything you like on your final resting place, including sports teams, favorite foods, scenes from nature, all on their non-toxic cardboard, with 60% recycled pulp being used in this eco box.

Wool Coffin

Time featured this option that's gaining popularity in the UK. In addition to helping out the textile industry, the biodegradable wool coffin is less expensive than a steel model and somewhat comforting.

Recycled Paper

The Natural Death Centre in the UK offers many eco-burial options. This recycled paper coffin serves two purposes -- recycling paper and biodegradable coffins. Scroll through this slideshow for even more interesting eco-friendly options, including bamboo, willow, and recycled paper.

Bio-Cremation

I've already decided on cremation, which is in itself a way to take up less space after you've died. But another (illegal in the U.S. right now) method of cremation that's a more eco-friendly way to contain contaminants, unlike the current method of burning, is the liquid cremation called bio-cremation.

I hope this trend continues, I believe this should be the wave of the future. Our remains need to be reabsorbed into the earth, we are part of the cycle of life and our bodies are meant in death to nourish Mother Earth.

posted on Apr, 11 2011 @ 10:58 PM
link   
What could be greener! than just being wrapped up in a burlap sack like a new tre is, also for burial!

posted on Apr, 11 2011 @ 11:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by ziggy1706
What could be greener! than just being wrapped up in a burlap sack like a new tre is, also for burial!
I know, right? I wonder where the idea of having to be embalmed and buried in air tight water proof metal caskets came from? Why did we as society veer from the natural way of burials?

new topics

top topics

join