It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Washington state Governor proposes 1 cent per OUNCE tax on BOTTLED WATER

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 17 2010 @ 10:17 PM
link   
reply to post by Seattleparanormal

Just because things can add revenue, it's all of a sudden a good idea??

Hey, we can raise 500 billion a year in revenue a year a year by taxing TAMPONS.. GREAT IDEA. People survived without them. They are a luxury. Use a rag.

Hey, we can raise 500 billion a year in revenue taxing CONDOMS. Great idea. "Sensory deprivation tubes" are a luxury.

How bout taxing disposable diapers? BRILLIANT!!!! They just pollute the earth anyway. Use cloth diapers. Big brother said its better, and diapies are just a luxury from the 20th century. You don't need them!

TAX TAX TAX, WE NEED MORE TAXES

How bout if 1/3 of ALL jobs in the US weren't government jobs, we wouldn't need to raise taxes?

How bout if most of the money wasn't going to interest on governmental loans, we wouldn't need to raise taxes??

No, the sollution is just to tax normal people just for LIVING.

Like I said, people like you are the reason our country is dying. YOU. You let it happen. More than that, you encourage this.

[edit on 17-2-2010 by seattletruth]

posted on Feb, 17 2010 @ 10:18 PM
link   
reply to post by seattletruth

I'm sure that you will be able to by cases of it on the reservation without the tax. Should this pass, I'll be buying 10 cases at a time

posted on Feb, 17 2010 @ 10:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by iamsupermanv2

It seems to me that you are complaining about a tax that will effect your daily life.

That's all and good, but come on....

This is not saying WATER is a luxury. It is saying BOTTLED water is a luxury.

You can boil tap water, filter it through a brita, just to suggestions.

It'd be much better to focus energy on another, more meaningful cause.

Yes, we should always be on watch for pointless taxing...but this is not one of them. Many states need to pull money from different parts of the economy to keep themselves afloat. That's why we have sin tax...people will buy them regardless.

People will buy bottled water regardless. I know when I am at the gas station on a road trip and need something to quench my pallet, I will go with a nice cold bottle of Ozarka. I'm sure you would too.

My suggestion...if this is really that big of a deal to you, write your congressman. Write your favorite bottled water dispenser.

Or boycott bottled water.

And the attempt to use soCKS is poor. I also see socks as a luxury quite honestly.

Look, you aren't complaining that poor people in poor countries don't get clean water...maybe that should be your cause. This is petty. Very petty.

Personally, I don't even drink bottled water. I am poor and drink the poison.

But you know what?? It's not about ME, or what effects me. It's about the PRINCIPLE OF THE THING. I don't only care about things that only effect me.

It's a slippery slope and we have to draw the line.

Pretty soon they will come for your CO2. They will tax you on breathing.

Focus my energy on something better??? Like I said, people like you are the reason this country is dying. You buy the governmental propaganda and lies, and support their expansion at every turn. Why would I listen to any of your suggestions?

posted on Feb, 17 2010 @ 10:31 PM
link   

I sir, do not support any government propaganda, I deny the propaganda from people who have an interest in getting me to buy a certain product.

You are going in circles. It's a tax on the poor blah blah blah. We have taxes on soda...why not bitch about that?

Why not complain about sin taxes?

Wanna know where we would be without taxes? A bigger mess then we already are.

Please, do not equate me with the propaganda supporters.

Like I said, the only way to fight this is not here on ATS, it's through your local lawmakers. You actually live there! (judging by your screen name) Go make some phone calls tomorrow, head down to Kinkos and make some fliers.

I personally think its retarded, but if you feel this strongly about it, preach to those that live there, not to a bunch of people who are scattered about the globe.

There is being proactive, and there's bitching.

Cutting out the bottled water industry would save us a lot of petroleum and a lot of crap from going into our ecosystems. That is undeniable. It is also undeniable that our ancestors still lived. Maybe not for as long, but it's survival of the fittest.

posted on Feb, 17 2010 @ 10:39 PM
link   
reply to post by iamsupermanv2

Yes, let's raise taxes at every opportunity because we need them.
I'm not even going to debate you.

Yes, raising public awareness is unproductive. "Be a good citizen and shut your mouth."... YESSIR!

Tomorrow is another day, and I will be making calls. These things are not mutually exclusive, you do realize? Raising public awareness is a big step to a solution.

You're bitching about my "bitching"? How ironic.

posted on Feb, 17 2010 @ 10:43 PM
link   

Big #ing deal. So you spend .20 cents extra per bottle. Who gives a damn? If you're that strapped for cash that .20 cents is going to make or break your financial security until your next paycheck then maybe you don't need to be buying bottled water.

Oh, and don't bother using your belittling tactics on me. I've noticed that's pretty much all you've done in this thread. Perhaps that is just how you are? Or perhaps you realized too late that you are making a big deal out of nothing? Either way, take it somewhere else.

posted on Feb, 17 2010 @ 10:46 PM
link   
reply to post by NovusOrdoMundi

I pretty much second each and every part of your post.

This looks like clown shoes to me.

Taxing bottled water is an absolutely fabulous idea.

Like I said, be vigilant, but come on...

Sometimes we all need to take a step away from conspiracy theories and the like and go check out this new thing they invented. It's called the outdoors and its freaking awesome.

But seriously OP, I did not intend to ruffle your feathers this much. Like I said, I'm not going to stand in your way of making a change, but this just seems so sophomoric. No need in getting all upset at me for having an opinion.

posted on Feb, 17 2010 @ 10:55 PM
link   

Yes, you're right. Let's go outdoors. But say you live in the city, so you go walking around town.. So when you're outdoors, walking around... and get thirsty.. You have 4 options:

1.Risk getting facial herpes because the water pressure in the drinking fountain is too low.

2. Buy a bottle of carbonated, hydrogenated high fructose corn syrup with some riboflavin for extra value.

3. Pay even MORE in taxes than the pop for for a bottle of WATER to drink.

4. Walk around all day with a water bottle like it's a colostomy bag.

Yes, let's all go outside. Lets tax everything more. Taxes are great.

posted on Feb, 17 2010 @ 11:02 PM
link   

Now you are at the point of being ridiculous, but I'll play your games, got nothing better to do.

First, if I planned on walking around town all day, I'd bring water in a hard plastic bottle.

If I was not predicting to walk around all day, and a public fountain was close by, I'd hit that up. Been using them for almost 23 years and they haven't failed me yet, yea sometimes they taste rusty, but that's the risk you take. And I have never known of someone who got "mouth herpes" from a water fountain.

If neither of these were available, I would hit up the cheapest, closest place to buy me a bottle of water and say "damn bottled water tax" and still throw down the 2 bucks. Want to know why? because IT ISN'T THAT BIG OF A GOSH DARN DEAL!

Again I will echo, I know that it's a slippery slope. You do not need to point that out to me.

What would you suggest we do in order to make money for our country? What would you tax?

Let's be proactive and propose solutions, not the same back and forth, as that hurts both sides.

posted on Feb, 17 2010 @ 11:03 PM
link   

You missed two options:

5. Learn how to survive in a CITY without your own personal, convenient water source for maybe an hour tops.

Or if it's hot outside...

6. Stay home and quit bitching.

If anything, you should have a complaint that a damn bottle of water costs $1.49. I'm more concerned about that scam of a price than some $0.20 cent tax.

Hmm, lets see...

$1.49 going in some fat CEO's pocket
$0.20 going in to developing and maintaining public services

Yeah, tough choice on which one we should actually be pissed about, isn't it?

posted on Feb, 17 2010 @ 11:06 PM
link   
where does this end water the basic need of all our lives
a. should be purified and free
b. not taxed
greed should never come b4 common sense and decency they want to make there precious money there are other ways than to tax water
1. legalize weed
2. tax the $#@% out of it - people would still pay
3. start a lottery
4. legalize prostitution again tax the $%#@ out of it
well i guess decency and common sense just left the building when it comes to making money
next will be air they will find away to tax that aswell

[edit on 17-2-2010 by gaurdian2012]

posted on Feb, 17 2010 @ 11:08 PM
link   
Consider it a tax on the mentally retarded. Because that's what you'd have to be to buy bottled water

posted on Feb, 17 2010 @ 11:11 PM
link   
Sounds like just another "luxury tax" aimed at us common folk....

I propose the following:

10% tax on all cosmetic reconstruction surgeries when deemed not medically necessary
5% tax on all breast implants (except in the case of cancer-related reconstruction)
15% tax on liposuction procedures
15% tax on botox injection procedures

posted on Feb, 17 2010 @ 11:14 PM
link   
reply to post by TXRabbit

I propose a 50% tax on Starbucks and celebrity magazines. It increases to 200% if purchased at the same time.

This is to weed out the idiots and bankrupt the companies. This world needs more 'killing two birds with one stone' ideas.

posted on Feb, 17 2010 @ 11:31 PM
link   
My fav bottled water is evian water, i know ron paul drinks some other water bottled but his rare to find, plus pricey.

I feel sorry for the people in the Washington area, this what happens if you vote for both same house parties, they are all the same, doesnt matter if there names of the part is the same, they are still the same.

posted on Feb, 18 2010 @ 12:21 AM
link   

What's insane is that people pay for bottled water anyways.

My sentiments exactly.

1. Most importantly... Not my state; Not my problem. Never ceases to amaze me how some event in a single township or county or state will invoke outrage and demands for action from casual readers whom the law doesn't effect. For as much as the picture is painted of some slippery slope to an Orwellian surveillance state... people sure seem eager enough to stick their noses in other people's business.

2. Were a similar tax instituted in my state, I wouldn't oppose it. If you're going to go out of your way to waste money buying water, then you deserve to pay. I would consider that meager tax to be credited towards the cleanup of plastic water bottles (among other things) from landfills at some unforeseen future point. Or a minor punishment to the person who bought the bottle which inevitably end up at the side of the road within a week or so anyhow. Never more than eight feet from a greasy McDonalds bag either.

3. I learned how to fold simple origami cups in like 3rd grade during the two week we learned about Chinese & Japanese culture. If public fountains bother you that much, then make a cup and fill it since you can't get a drink without french kissing the spicket. Or, you could suck it up and deal with reusing perfectly good water bottles you refill. If it means that much to you that you need A FRESH NEW WATER BOTTLE ON DEMAND instead of reusing what you've already paid for... then obviously spending money frivolously doesn't bother you, and you can well afford the new tax.

You just don't want to pay on the principal of having to pay an extra tax because it's a tax and by initiating it, they've given you a platform by which you can play knight crusader of the teabag templars for some internet attention and preserving "principals" of petty wastefulness. What I find hilarious is that were the tax transparent and differentiable from a mere retail price increase - you'd likely never notice, nor care.

I'm just left trying to figure out if you're trolling tea party ranters, or if you're just "trollin without a cause". What is obvious is that you care far more for the attention and soapbox generic faux outrage than you do for preserving principals. Least, any principals worth defending.

Side note... my town actually did have a "tampon tax" of sorts in the form of a few cents extra on our monthly utility bill. Apparently, rather than disposing of Tampons (and other waste) properly, people got lazy and just flushed whatever fit through the goose neck. The extra cost in maintenance was justified, especially since it costs far more to run DNA tests on every sloppy pink tampon that clogs/bursts a pipe so as to establish fault and billing details.

posted on Feb, 18 2010 @ 03:37 AM
link   
This is one tax i would support(i would actually go higher) bottled water is a huge rip-off and terrible for the environment. My tap water is pretty good but if it wasn't i would simply filter it. Can't remember the last time i bought a bottle of water...i usually just fill up bottles from the tap if need be. I know a few folks that are always buying the stuff. I'd really like to calculate how much money they are wasting in a month.

[edit on 18-2-2010 by Solomons]

posted on Feb, 18 2010 @ 05:55 PM
link   
Would it not be easier if water companies delivered
safe drinkable water and just charged a little more?

I would not mind paying more for good water.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join