It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Embattled Afghan Taliban rely on human shields

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 17 2010 @ 04:17 PM
link   
news.yahoo.com...

Hmmm.....I was wondering if this would get any coverage here on ATS.

No big surprise. The Taliban have used these sort of tactics in the past.

posted on Feb, 17 2010 @ 06:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by jerico65
news.yahoo.com...

Indeed no big surprise that the legions of leftist anti-American posters on this don't care about this story.

posted on Feb, 17 2010 @ 06:42 PM
link   
Most wars involve the use of human shields.

Do you scream about israel and palestine doing the same?

No, these stories just make it easier to shrug off when a school or hospital is blown up.

posted on Feb, 17 2010 @ 06:46 PM
link   
When one declares war upon an enemy, it would be wise to know their tactics before putting your own soldiers in harms way.

Where is it you expect these enemy to hide in their country?
behind the one lone bush in the middle of the desert?

behind the big rock just outside of town perhaps?

where do the drone pilots hide?

posted on Feb, 17 2010 @ 06:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by captaintyinknots

Really? They do? Hmmm....don't recall being trained to use a human shield when I joined the military.

posted on Feb, 17 2010 @ 06:52 PM
link   

Really? They do? Hmmm....don't recall being trained to use a human shield when I joined the military.

hmmm, you apparently dont know history either.

posted on Feb, 17 2010 @ 06:53 PM
link   
reply to post by munkey66

So, what you're trying to say is that it's OK for the Taliban to hide amongst civilians and allow them to be killed in a firefight? To try to have US and NATO forces kill civilians while trying to engage with them?

How come this doesn't make a lot of sense, and goes against the Laws of Armed Conflict? You know, what everyone always brings up when US forces mistakenly kill civilians?

posted on Feb, 17 2010 @ 06:53 PM
link   

really?
where was your general in time of battle?
he was far behind using you and your buddies as human shields.

where was your President?
He was using your generals as human shields as they in turn used you.

posted on Feb, 17 2010 @ 06:54 PM
link   

reply to post by munkey66

So, what you're trying to say is that it's OK for the Taliban to hide amongst civilians and allow them to be killed in a firefight? To try to have US and NATO forces kill civilians while trying to engage with them?

How come this doesn't make a lot of sense, and goes against the Laws of Armed Conflict? You know, what everyone always brings up when US forces mistakenly kill civilians?

Are you saying that it is okay for an invading force to carry on a firefight in a civilian populated area?

posted on Feb, 17 2010 @ 06:55 PM
link   

You apparently don't have a clue.

How about coming up with a regulation used by the US military stating that when in combat, grab the nearest child and use them for cover? Where it's OK to use a school, mosque, hospital as a fighting position?

posted on Feb, 17 2010 @ 06:56 PM
link   

How about coming up with a regulation used by the US military stating that when in combat, grab the nearest child and use them for cover? Where it's OK to use a school, mosque, hospital as a fighting position?

The U.S. military is the only military to ever be in a war? Really?

Go read a little rudimentary history. Then check out Munkey's previous post, because he pointed out for you exactly how it is done in the US.

open your eyes.

posted on Feb, 17 2010 @ 06:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by munkey66
really?

Really? When was the last time a US president was an active participant in a war? You know, where he was leading the troops from the front?

You know why? Because it ain't his job.

posted on Feb, 17 2010 @ 06:58 PM
link   

Then we'll talk about why hospitals, schools, etc are used as tactical targets.

Then you can explain to me why you are okay with an invading force carrying on a firefight in a civilian populated area, but not okay when those on the defensive use those civilians as protection.

Ahhh yes, that wonderful bottom 5% of our graduating class.....

posted on Feb, 17 2010 @ 06:59 PM
link   

Go read a little rudimentary history. Then check out Munkey's previous post, because he pointed out for you exactly how it is done in the US.

You said, "most wars". I said the US military doesn't use human shields. Both you and Munkey are not understanding what you're trying to talk about.

posted on Feb, 17 2010 @ 07:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by munkey66
really?

Really? When was the last time a US president was an active participant in a war? You know, where he was leading the troops from the front?

You know why? Because it ain't his job.

Ummm, every war ever particip[ated in by the US.. HE IS THE COMMANDER IN CHEIF. That means, he is an active participant in every single war that US is involved in.

The point(which you missed) is that he is hiding so far behind the troops that he doesnt even NEED to step onto a battlefield.

Wow.....

posted on Feb, 17 2010 @ 07:01 PM
link   

You said, "most wars". I said the US military doesn't use human shields. Both you and Munkey are not understanding what you're trying to talk about.

Umm, we do. And they are used in most wars. And have been throughout history.

Please, get an education.

posted on Feb, 17 2010 @ 07:03 PM
link   

Amazing how that keeps coming up...

Out of curiosity... while I don't condone the actions ascribed above, when an invading military has taken roads, airports, etc, where do the soldiers for the invaded country make their last stand?

Do they stand in the middle of the desert to be destroyed by a single bomb? Do they gather en masse in front of a US tank and say "look here, Yankee! We are here to fight you away from schools, mosques and hospitals, as we don't want your state-run media back home to portray us as having any military common sense!"

??

Really?

Where are these soldiers supposed to fight back? If you were there commander where would you place them?

You do not represent the US soldiers that I know, and trust me I know many. Thank you for your time in service, but do it in your own name, not theirs.

posted on Feb, 17 2010 @ 07:07 PM
link   
Please cite an example of a war where soldiers used human shields. In Europe, wars were usually fought by professional soldiers. Perhaps there is an alternate history we need to be made aware of?

posted on Feb, 17 2010 @ 07:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by DJW001
Please cite an example of a war where soldiers used human shields. In Europe, wars were usually fought by professional soldiers. Perhaps there is an alternate history we need to be made aware of?

Again, nearly every war ever fought. A few nations/groups that have done:
Israel (using palestinians no less, but hey, they are our friends so we dont bother looking into that one)
Palestine
Germany
Serbia
Iraq
Yugoslavia
Lebanon
Pakistan
Tamil Tigers

posted on Feb, 17 2010 @ 07:21 PM
link   
here is a quote from the artice

MARJAH, Afghanistan – Taliban fighters holding out in Marjah are increasingly using civilians as human shields, firing from compounds where U.S. and Afghan forces can clearly see women and children on rooftops or in windows, Afghan and U.S. troops said Wednesday.

these people are firing from compounds

here is a picture of a compound from the air

and another

So are the women and children meant to wait on the outside of these compounds during the fighting?
I would feel that most women and children don't really trust any military after having Russian soldiers kill family members and now Coalition forces killing family members.

could you imagine for a second what it would be like to be a 10 year old Afghan child seeing soldiers.

these people are not human shields, they are trying to live in a home and cope the best way they can while fools keep shooting at them, blowing up their homes or kill their livestock.

The coalition doest need human shields, they have fox news, cnn, msm.
they have the propoganda and it doesn't matter how many of your buddies die, because it makes great TV

<<   2 >>

join