It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Continuing Climate Meltdown

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 17 2010 @ 01:26 PM
link   

It has been a bad—make that dreadful—few weeks for what used to be called the "settled science" of global warming, and especially for the U.N. Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change that is supposed to be its gold standard.

First it turns out that the Himalayan glaciers are not going to melt anytime soon, notwithstanding dire U.N. predictions. Next came news that an IPCC claim that global warming could destroy 40% of the Amazon was based on a report by an environmental pressure group. Other IPCC sources of scholarly note have included a mountaineering magazine and a student paper.

Since the climategate email story broke in November, the standard defense is that while the scandal may have revealed some all-too-human behavior by a handful of leading climatologists, it made no difference to the underlying science. We think the science is still disputable. But there's no doubt that climategate has spurred at least some reporters to scrutinize the IPCC's headline-grabbing claims in a way they had rarely done previously.

Take the rain forest claim. In its 2007 report, the IPCC wrote that "up to 40% of the Amazonian forests could react drastically to even a slight reduction in precipitation; this means that the tropical vegetation, hydrology and climate system in South America could change very rapidly to another steady state."

But as Jonathan Leake of London's Sunday Times reported last month, those claims were based on a report from the World Wildlife Fund, which in turn had fundamentally misrepresented a study in the journal Nature. The Nature study, Mr. Leake writes, "did not assess rainfall but in fact looked at the impact on the forest of human activity such as logging and burning."

The IPCC has relied on World Wildlife Fund studies regarding the "transformation of natural coastal areas," the "destruction of more mangroves," "glacial lake outbursts causing mudflows and avalanches," changes in the ecosystem of the "Mesoamerican reef," and so on. The Wildlife Fund is a green lobby that believes in global warming, and its "research" reflects its advocacy, not the scientific method.
All of this matters because the IPCC has been advertised as the last and definitive word on climate science. Its reports are the basis on which Al Gore, President Obama and others have claimed that climate ruin is inevitable unless the world reorganizes its economies with huge new taxes on carbon. Now we are discovering the U.N. reports are sloppy political documents intended to drive the climate lobbys regulatory agenda.

The lesson of climategate and now the IPCC's shoddy sourcing is that the claims of the global warming lobby need far more rigorous scrutiny.

online.wsj.com...

The article shows some of the exagerations, lies, and deception that the IPCC/UN, and the WWF, among some other environmental groups who think that exagerating, and lying will help their cause...

To these people the end justifies the means, and they will continue to try to keep up their farce for as long as these groups exist. And of course there are politicians, and policy makers that love AGW, even when it is a scam because it gives them an excuse to tax us more, and control us more.

posted on Feb, 17 2010 @ 01:55 PM
link   
It seems hardly surprising to some of us that this would be the case.

Incidentally; I would recommend to all those clear thinkers in the community to understand why, apparently rational people were willing to argue against the general 'OMG the Climate!' frenzy.

The first thing the "scientifically"-advised community did with their media dollars was to villify and ridicule anyone who disagreed.....

It should have been your first clue that all was not as it seemed.

Of course we need to stop polluting

Of course we impact our local ecological systems, often to our own detriment

Of course wanton exploitation of natural resources has far reaching effects beyond the disappearance of little owls and fingerling smelt

But giving money to a new middleman-industry like 'the' Al Gore suggests is NO solution to the problem itself.

Sadly, they felt that PR and propaganda was the 'way to go' since that's how Madison Avenue has traditionally conditioned our 'political' behavior. But you know, the strange thing is, generally speaking, the more people you have to make lie, the more likely it is that the lie will be found out.

[edit on 17-2-2010 by Maxmars]

posted on Feb, 17 2010 @ 02:28 PM
link   
reply to post by Maxmars

The Global Warming hoax appears to be imploding quickly in Europe
and slowly in the USA. Can we stop brainwashing our children with
this garbage???

posted on Feb, 17 2010 @ 02:53 PM
link   
reply to post by Maxmars

excellent post.

Yes pollution and disregard for the environment is a problem. But when did we reach the point when simply doing the right thing was no longer a valid argument for why we should protect the environment? oh yeah, its when politicians decided they could make billions of dollars if pollution was an immediate threat of extinction!

For all of the "green" people out there, if you really want to make a difference you would be the ones scrutinizing false reports and information the most. these obvious fallacies and innapropriate scientific conduct do not help your cause, they just turn people away from your arguments.

additionally, we should abandon these carbon tax schemes that will only serve to put money into the hands of corrupt politicians and governments and just demand that businesses reduce their pollution and environmental degradation as consumers.

posted on Feb, 18 2010 @ 11:43 AM
link   
reply to post by Ozzy Mandias

I'm a member of greenpeace and have been for many years - yet my very first thread on these boards was that global warming was a load of rubbish.

Needless to say I got slaughtered for it - but some of those very same people have now reach the same conclusions that I did over 5 years ago, even before I joined here.

posted on Feb, 18 2010 @ 07:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by budski
Needless to say I got slaughtered for it - but some of those very same people have now reach the same conclusions that I did over 5 years ago, even before I joined here.

You are not the only one. I have been in these forums also for years and every time i would post peer-reviewed research that refuted AGW I would also get slaughtered by the AGW fans.

Even members who should have known better have claimed in the past that i was an "oil kook", or would make other idiotic claims. The same has happened to many other members who would post any information that refuted AGW...

Even though there are some members who have changed their opinion there are still many who continue to believe in AGW, even when the cream of the crop of the AGW scientists/scammers couldn't produce any REAL evidence and they had to post false data, rig research data, and deceive people...

We even have some of them claiming that the whole truth that has come out about the aGW scientists/scammers is just some "agenda against science"....

Of course, these sort of people don't seem to remember that several scientists, even from the IPCC have been telling us the truth about AGW, and the IPCC...it has been politicized and it has been used to further a political agenda which certain people, and groups wanted to make into a global agenda.

We have to be also aware to the fact that many people in power, and even the IPCC are still trying to make their agenda into a global law to "fight AGW".....

Even with all the facts, and information which has become public those in power want to have more control, and more power over people....

The rich elites who are in power have known from the beginning that AGW is a scam, and they don't care.

These people will try to find any, and every way to further their scam/agenda and to pass global laws, and global taxes which at the end is only going to fill the pockets of the rich and powerful even more. Not to mention that they will have more control over people...

All those who have been part of this scam, and who are atill trying to pass laws "to fight AGW" should be fired, and put in prison.

[edit on 18-2-2010 by ElectricUniverse]

posted on Feb, 18 2010 @ 07:50 PM
link   
Those that care about the environment should pick a cause other then global warming. It does not mean you don't advocate for less CO2 but you pick up other major causes like deforestation which might be contributing to the situation. It's as if the environmental movement has been taken over by corporate interests.

posted on Feb, 18 2010 @ 08:05 PM
link   
reply to post by ViperFoxBat

The thing is that there is even legislation that has been passed to "sequester atmospheric CO2", and Universities are recieving funds for any research to sequester atmospheric CO2"....

It might be too late. I have tried to change the mind of my Senator because he was one of the sponsors for this legislation.

I just hope that the fact that more, and more information is coming out to the fact that the policy makers of the IPCC have been using false information, and along with the main scientist proponents of the AGW lie they have been decieving the world and this has become public knowledge, that the damage these people have caused can be fixed.

The thing is that anyone with any brains should have known that sequestration of atmospheric CO2 will cause the worse environmental problem ever caused by mankind. Not to mention that there would be less harvests, which will mean less food....

I have been saying it for a while now, the AGW scam has been used not only to make more money for the rich, but also to redistribute wealth and make regular people in western nations poor; and not to mention the fact that AGW is the perfect excuse to implement programs that would reduce the world population by starving more people since less atmospheric CO2 means less harvests.

As it is the Earth is lacking atmospheric CO2. Much higher levels of atmospheric CO2 would benefit the Earth's environments, as well as benefitting animals, and mankind. But these..... people want to sequester atmospheric CO2?.....

[edit on 18-2-2010 by ElectricUniverse]

top topics

join