It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Argentina to blockade Falkland waters in dispute over oil rights

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 17 2010 @ 12:35 PM
link   

Argentina to blockade Falkland waters in dispute over oil rights

www.timesonline.co.uk

Argentina has declared that it is taking control over all shipping between its coast and the Falklands, in effect awarding itself the power to blockade the disputed islands.

According to a decree issued by President Kirchner last night, all ships sailing through the waters claimed by Argentina must hold a permit. The measure seems likely to deepen a row over conflicting claims to oil beds lying inside the Falkland Islands’ territorial waters.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.timesonline.co.uk

posted on Feb, 17 2010 @ 12:35 PM
link   
well, i posted in here the other day about the war of words between britain and argentina over the falklands, and the drilling of oil by britain.
www.abovetopsecret.com...

but now we have this, with the argentinian president claiming a permit needed to operate within waters claimed by argentina.
is this a game of bluff? can the argentinians enforce this act?
a further quote from the times says this:
"The impending arrival of the Ocean Guardian rig has increased tensions, amid reports from waiting crew members on the islands that it had been shadowed by Argentine jets during the final stage of its journey from the Scottish Highlands"
hmm, maybe gordon brown will send a few destroyers down to the falklands, but this situation whether it is all bluff and bluster is definetely escalating.

www.timesonline.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Feb, 17 2010 @ 12:39 PM
link   
reply to post by hans kammler

Falklands is classified as a part of the European Union, so I'd doubt Argentina would wish to engage in economic warfare the European Union.

posted on Feb, 17 2010 @ 12:45 PM
link   
Good for Argentina for standing up against world powers like Britain!

Seems more and more countries are doing so and its nice to see.

posted on Feb, 17 2010 @ 12:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by disfugured

Seems more and more countries are doing so and its nice to see

What do you mean by this?? more and more countries are standing up against Britain??

If you think Britain will stand by and let Argentina put permit's on the area, think again...

+4 more 
posted on Feb, 17 2010 @ 12:55 PM
link   

The inhabitants of the Falklands wish to remain British and do NOT want to be Argentinian.

Perhaps the Argentinians should respect THOSE wishes, instead of behaving like idiots!

posted on Feb, 17 2010 @ 12:58 PM
link   
God the Argentine president is so stupid! I'm Argentine and I, along with almost all of the country, want her gone before she finishes destroying all of the country. She's going to start a war for nothing.

link   
Although our future queen is [was
] Argentinian, i am fully behind the UK's efforts to hold this strategic location, if only for the lost British soldiers died in '82...

besides as Dagar puts it, the local people want to remain in the British Kingdom, just as Antilian people want to remain in the Dutch Kingdom

[edit on 17-2-2010 by Foppezao]

link   

What's not good to see though is that most of the world powers will definitly use military force that would 90% of the time crush any war against a smaller nation. If there was another war Britain would win, and when it comes to oil that is a big problem.

posted on Feb, 17 2010 @ 12:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by infinite

Falklands is classified as a part of the European Union, so I'd doubt Argentina would wish to engage in economic warfare the European Union.

Are you sure ? , since when ?

posted on Feb, 17 2010 @ 01:02 PM
link   

Why not? Everyone else is. They're even doing it to themselves now.

Greece loses EU voting power in blow to sovereignty

posted on Feb, 17 2010 @ 01:07 PM
link   
reply to post by belial259

As far as the Faklands being a member of the Eurozone, thats just a not true, research it yourself.

As for Greece, well it will take something more than a Euro law or similar to take down a nation that has several thousands of years in dealing and at war.

"Beware of greeks who bear gifts"

posted on Feb, 17 2010 @ 01:09 PM
link   

The Falklands Islands are a British Protectorate, just as Gibraltar is, and as such is, by merit of Britain's membership of the EU, a part of Europe, despite the distances involved.

posted on Feb, 17 2010 @ 01:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by royspeed

The Falklands Islands are a British Protectorate, just as Gibraltar is, and as such is, by merit of Britain's membership of the EU, a part of Europe, despite the distances involved.

In theory, but that national currency is ?

posted on Feb, 17 2010 @ 01:10 PM
link   
reply to post by infinite

im worried about actual warfare rather than economic, if argentinian jets are shadowing the oil rig we are sending down there within a day of this announcement we can expect more.
the eurofighter typhoons we have stationed at falklands may be worked pretty hard down there soon.
i dont know much about argentine naval forces, but i would expect their navy to be invovled in upholding this decree by their president.

And i read this:

God the Argentine president is so stupid! I'm Argentine and I, along with almost all of the country, want her gone before she finishes destroying all of the country. She's going to start a war for nothing.

do you think the argentine president could pull a "maggie" and send use a military clash to shore up support for her waning power? thatcher won an election because of the falklands.

this couldbe worth watching if the royal navy has to move down there to counter the argies actions

posted on Feb, 17 2010 @ 01:13 PM
link   

A yes i remembered being awakened to this...what a day it was...

posted on Feb, 17 2010 @ 01:16 PM
link   
reply to post by NightFlyer96

oil is nothing? argentina is crap, they need everything they find

posted on Feb, 17 2010 @ 01:17 PM
link   

Nobodys gonna vote for her again, we learned our lesson from these last 2 presidents.

posted on Feb, 17 2010 @ 01:22 PM
link   
reply to post by NightFlyer96

nobody is going to vote for her? then she has nothing to lose then yes?

posted on Feb, 17 2010 @ 01:22 PM
link   
We have enough oil fields within the country. What I'm saying is that were starting a war that well (probably) lose. Almost all of the country is opposed to another war - sure we want the islands to be ours but we don't want bloodshed over them.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join