It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

OP/ED: Iraq: One Year On

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 29 2004 @ 07:24 PM
link   
President Bush mentions regularly that Operation Iraqi Freedom was justified because Saddam Hussein was in material breach of UN Security Council Resolution 1441. But even if Iraq was in violation of this UN resolution, he seems to have forgotten a key fact: the U.S. military does not exist to enforce UN mandates. It exists to defend the United States: its territory and sovereignty, the populace,the freedoms and the treasured liberties that support the American citizens way of life. So whether Iraq was in violation of Resolution 1441 is null and void. The real question is whether Iraq represented a direct and imminent threat to the United States. If that was the case and they did pose an imminent threat, then preemptive self-defense, like Israel's military action in the 1967 Six Day War, would have been justifiable. And if Iraq was not a threat --which in hindsight we have realised that it was not-- especially in terms of aiding and abetting Al Qaeda, then the United States fought a needless war based on economics and self interest.

There is little doubt that this war against Iraq was the wrong war. Not because the United States used preemptive military force. Not because the United States acted without the consent of the United Nations. And not because Iraq had weapons of mass destruction as we now know they do not exist. There is no threat. There never was. So do you still support the war?

When addressing the United Nations General Assembly, One year and one day after Sept 11 he said "No government should ignore the threat of terror, because to look the other way gives terrorists the chance to regroup and recruit and prepare." But that is exactly what the United States did by going to war against Iraq. It hunted down a nation when it should have been actively hunting the terrorists. To make matters worse, the taxpayer is stuck with the bill for the war. Almost $100 Billion. Do you still support the war?

Just think, that amount of money could've given every american child college education. It could also have provided free healthcare. Do you still feel like you support the war now?

But what do I know? I'm just a person. The Government is smarter than me, right? I guess i just have to ask myself if i support the war.

posted on May, 29 2004 @ 08:32 PM
link   
Supporting the war is a simple choise for many. Understanding the war is a far greater task.

We can all spend time forming opinions about the war in Iraq and the over all war on terrorism. The simple fact is we are there and that is the cause of division among so many of us.

I think any rational person could now look back at the begining of the military activity in Iraq and say that we went in on false infromation and there is a great deal of truth to that. I can say for one that I believe going into Iraq when we did this time was a mistake.. and not finishing this job when it would have been all to easy in the first Gulf War was even a greater mistake.

What this shows to me is how we as a nation and a people were so shocked and awe struck by the events of September 11, 2001 we ALL at the time were willing to accept the line fed us by the administration and perhaps too willing to go to war without really undertsanding the enemy.

We have slammed the shining blade of war into our current world and made the divide with massive military action against an enemy who for the most part laughs at us. and for what?

We reacted as we seen the threat we seen over 3,000 humans killed and were sure it was an act of war. But was it really.. looking back it really was nothing more than a few radical muslims who were able to exploit the weaknesses of our own security... who were able to learn how to fly a jet plane in our own schools, later buy some box cutters and plane tickets and then we have all seen the result.

I think we all at first were duped collectivly into thinking that this enemy was much more than just a terrorist group and that it required massive military retaliation. We did, have and continue to show this massive military force. But I wonder if we have really gone after the true enemy.

I believe that this war would have been better fought on a smaller scale. One of covert activity, infiltration of the enemy and ultimate destruction of their terrorist groups.

But again looking back it is all too easy to be critical of this war.

The fact is we are in it and walking away is not an option now... We must continue the fight but it must be more focused and with a clearer objective.

We have over-estimated this enemy and over-reacted in my view and lost focus on those who brough us that terror on September 11, 2001.

But pulling out of Iraq now would only add a victory to their cause and create a new breeding ground for an even more dangerous future enemy.

The choise is now clear we must stand on one side or the other the middle is a very dangerous place.

Gazz

[Edited on 29-5-2004 by UM_Gazz]

join