It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Our world may be a giant hologram

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:
+2 more 
posted on Feb, 17 2010 @ 10:02 AM
link   

Our world may be a giant hologram

www.newscientist.com

For the past seven years, this German set-up has been looking for gravitational waves - ripples in space-time thrown off by super-dense astronomical objects such as neutron stars and black holes. GEO600 has not detected any gravitational waves so far, but it might inadvertently have made the most important discovery in physics for half a century.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:

[edit on 17/2/10 by Quantum_Squirrel]

posted on Feb, 17 2010 @ 10:02 AM
link   
Are We living in a simulated universe?

This was my first ever thread on ATS.

'Are We Living In A Simulated Universe?'

The above counted on a multiverse based existence, where an infinite number of possibility's exist.

Because in an infinite amount of possibility's the chance of a civilization arising to the technological state that allows them to simulate an artificial Universe drops to 1 in 1.

once an artificial Universe is created, that universe will then give rise to another civilization who does the same thing and so on and so forth.. thus creating many many more nested Fake universe than the universe that is on tier 1 of the pile...

Well according to this article we very well may be living in a simulated hologram.

According to Craig Hogan, a physicist at the Fermilab particle physics lab in Batavia, Illinois, GEO600 has stumbled upon the fundamental limit of space-time - the point where space-time stops behaving like the smooth continuum Einstein described and instead dissolves into "grains", just as a newspaper photograph dissolves into dots as you zoom in. "It looks like GEO600 is being buffeted by the microscopic quantum convulsions of space-time," says Hogan.

The holograms you find on credit cards and banknotes are etched on two-dimensional plastic films. When light bounces off them, it recreates the appearance of a 3D image. In the 1990s physicists Leonard Susskind and Nobel prizewinner Gerard 't Hooft suggested that the same principle might apply to the universe as a whole. Our everyday experience might itself be a holographic projection of physical processes that take place on a distant, 2D surface.

The "holographic principle" challenges our sensibilities. It seems hard to believe that you woke up, brushed your teeth and are reading this article because of something happening on the boundary of the universe. No one knows what it would mean for us if we really do live in a hologram, yet theorists have good reasons to believe that many aspects of the holographic principle are true.

What's more, work by several string theorists, most notably Juan Maldacena at the Institute for Advanced Study in Princeton, has confirmed that the idea is on the right track. He showed that the physics inside a hypothetical universe with five dimensions and shaped like a Pringle is the same as the physics taking place on the four-dimensional boundary

the above theorist have proven that it would be possable to encode 3d information on a 2d surface and that we are all living on the edge of a blackhole.....

Nassim haramein springs to mind .. everything is a black hole from the smallest to the biggest objects seen .. including maybe our universe itself.

So would they be able to detect a holographic projection of grainy space-time? Of the five gravitational wave detectors around the world, Hogan realised that the Anglo-German GEO600 experiment ought to be the most sensitive to what he had in mind. He predicted that if the experiment's beam splitter is buffeted by the quantum convulsions of space-time, this will show up in its measurements (Physical Review D, vol 77, p 104031). "This random jitter would cause noise in the laser light signal," says Hogan.

This noise has been constantly detected by the experiment as Hogan predicted IF we happen to be living in a holographic universe.

So what force on the edge of the largest blackhole caused me to post this .....

it will be interesting to find out .. if true ...

www.newscientist.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 17/2/10 by Quantum_Squirrel]

posted on Feb, 17 2010 @ 10:21 AM
link   
Just read the entire article, it's pretty interesting!
I do admit there was some skimming though, i'll re-read the entire thing once I get home.
But it's not true, we don't live in a hologram.
If we lived in a hologram we would be living in a 2D world, holograms are 2D it's only our perception that thinks it's 3D once light hits the hologram.

Us however we are able to interact with all dimensions so how could we be living in a hologram?

Here's something i'm just throwing, if the universe is expanding couldn't that cause the planet earth to produce blueshift? If so could that create noise?

I think us living in a matrix is way more defendable than us living in a hologram, and that from both a technical and philosophical perspective. How could life and billions of different "natural" processes be so intelligent all while being inside a hologram?

I know I may be thinking of the word 'hologram' in too much of a literal sense though, maybe I need to re-read the article more thoroughly.

posted on Feb, 17 2010 @ 10:30 AM
link   
That article was fascinating and actually relatively easy to understand to the point that I felt uneasy.

The question thus forms that if we are living in a holographic universe then does this mean the hologram was created by intelligent means or did it come into existence via some as yet unknown natural process?

Do you think it might be possible at some point to be able to find out at some point in the future via the use of technology we have today? As an atheist/agnostic/whatever I am not happy to say it but is this a sign of a creator inteligence or just an as yet unknown natural law - or I am misinterpreting the implications of the data presented?

I realise that from reading the article that the Planck scale is outside our range of detection with our current state of technological development but that is not to say that will be the case in the future.

I am off to read the comments now; I am pretty much blown away by the implications of the metaphorical “pixels in space time.”

[edit on 17-2-2010 by SmokeJaguar67]

posted on Feb, 17 2010 @ 10:47 AM
link   
reply to post by Quantum_Squirrel
[more i found this topic quiet interesting it is very plauseble that we are living in a product of someone or something elses reality sort of a matrix quantum physics is a topic i appreciate and i am going to do some digging on this one because sometimes i feel like we are not really living in this reality

posted on Feb, 17 2010 @ 11:01 AM
link   
reply to post by ModernAcademia

2-D

meet 3-D at its most basic

posted on Feb, 17 2010 @ 11:05 AM
link   
I've always thought the holographic universe theory to be the most accurate theory of (almost) everything.

The big point about the universe being holographic comes in the nature of the hologram itself;

You shine a light through a holographic film to make the hologram. No matter how many times and different ways you slice up or change the film, the holographic picture remains unchanged (it might get a bit blurrier, but the image is still evident).

Anyone interested in this idea should read "The Holographic Universe" by Michael Talbot.

Still near the top of my list of best books ever.

posted on Feb, 17 2010 @ 11:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by SmokeJaguar67
The question thus forms that if we are living in a holographic universe then does this mean the hologram was created by intelligent means or did it come into existence via some as yet unknown natural process?

Indeed.
Surely, as some have suggested, it would mean a "creator" is influencing the events within the holographic universe.

For those, btw, who are struggling to understand this; here is a video that explains it very simple and easy to understand

We are living in Holographic Universe

[edit on 17-2-2010 by infinite]

posted on Feb, 17 2010 @ 11:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by ModernAcademia
Just read the entire article, it's pretty interesting!
I do admit there was some skimming though, i'll re-read the entire thing once I get home.
But it's not true, we don't live in a hologram.
If we lived in a hologram we would be living in a 2D world, holograms are 2D it's only our perception that thinks it's 3D once light hits the hologram.

A hologram can be a representation of any dimensional object, regardless of how many dimensions the object is holograms as you know them are only 2D because they are created from 3 dimensional objects. if you make a hologram from an 11D object, the hologram itself will be 10D, You basically take the information created by light refracting off of the object and put it in a smaller object that gives the illusion of being extra-dimensional.

We don't exist in 3D though, we exist in 4D - 3 spatial dimensions and time. Quantum_Squirrel already mentioned the research of Juan Maldacena showing that, essentially, the physics of a 5 dimensional universe shaped like a pringle(i.e. a curved flat plane) mimic the physics of the world you and I perceive. Making this 4 dimensional universe a holographic projection of the higher 5 dimensional.

Us however we are able to interact with all dimensions so how could we be living in a hologram?

extra spatial dimensions aren't anything new in physics, some models have over 10, Juan Maldacena's has 5, just because the extra dimensions are there doesn't mean we can interact with them. we're pretty much confined to 4 dimensions, we don't have the sensory organs to perceive the extra dimensions, forget about interacting with them. in a physical sense. We may be able to build machines that will be able to observe the other dimensions by observing how they interact with the dimensions we can observe though.

Here's something i'm just throwing, if the universe is expanding couldn't that cause the planet earth to produce blueshift? If so could that create noise?

I think us living in a matrix is way more defendable than us living in a hologram, and that from both a technical and philosophical perspective. How could life and billions of different "natural" processes be so intelligent all while being inside a hologram?

I know I may be thinking of the word 'hologram' in too much of a literal sense though, maybe I need to re-read the article more thoroughly.

The whole blueshift thing sounds like a mediocre Star Trek episode, not trying to sound like a d-bag here or anything, but blueshift and the doppler effect have absolutely nothing to do with this.

A "matrix?" as in the movies? You're going to trust a work of fiction more than actual physicists? you're blowin' my mind here, man.

[edit on 17-2-2010 by buttking]

posted on Feb, 17 2010 @ 11:36 AM
link   
If this was true then where would the energy source be located?
2nd

posted on Feb, 17 2010 @ 11:41 AM
link   
Great find!
I have an interesting thought for this matter:
Once i was travelling through the world i met a german globetrotter in spain.
I was hitchhiking and one evening, the guy who gave me the lift, told me he met an old german who told him about physics and he didn´t understand anything.
As we where invited to stay the evening with him, i was really interested about what my friend told me, he was able to understand. This german ment to have found the ever searched, but never discovered error inside Einsteins special theory of relativity.
It was mind-stumbling. I listened to this, maybe 65 year old, the whole evening and my friend just got confused after maybe ten minutes.
He told me, i (at this time i was 20) was the first since six years who did understand what he found out.
So here it is:
He (forgot his name) was one-eyed since birth. As widely known, the 3d image is first build inside your head, so he had an 2d - sight. He can´t see the dimension of deepness, but what he did was to do some math (pythargo) to find out the distance between him and things in front of him.

Can´remember the whole conversation, but his conclusion was, that he found out,the dimension called deepness IS an illusion!
Now everybody who is smart enough, would say WTF(!), but he had an easy explanation:
He displaced the dimension three - "deepness" with dimension four - "TIME"!
And not any time. He took the time of what the LIGHT needs from the object to his eye! Imaginable? He showed me some calculations and it made sense.
The second failure, was the definition of infinity. In physics, the infinity is a never ending straight line. He said this is bull... and saw it as an eight.
As some will know, in symbology or gnosis (and much more), the eight just means infinity.
The most holy temple in buddism is the "stupa of wiseness". Just do a google pic search and you will see the whole structure of the universe in it.
And if you´re just googlin´ have a look for the "moebius band"!
This is a stripe of paper, the ends so put together, that ther is only one side!
It is a simple trick to show the illusions of this universe!

Peace and
welcome to the biggest deception in progress!

posted on Feb, 17 2010 @ 11:42 AM
link   
If we are just a hologram, then somebody...anybody, please hit the reset button...we seem to have glitches.

posted on Feb, 17 2010 @ 11:50 AM
link   
In regards to the above video link:

The very first thing that happens after they invent this technology is appalling. They want to put advertisements in the air?

This is the FIRST thing you think of?

The internet hurts my soul. Insert frownie face here.

[edit on 17-2-2010 by patmac]

posted on Feb, 17 2010 @ 12:03 PM
link   
Will someone please copy and paste me the artical? I cant read anymore articals on newscientsts website cause it says i need to pay money and register -___-"

posted on Feb, 17 2010 @ 12:13 PM
link   
this article is just over 1 year old, and was discussed back then

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Feb, 17 2010 @ 12:14 PM
link   
reply to post by patmac

Yeah I agree! There are a 1000 other things you could use this for. I'm thinking scifi mid air touch display for computers?

posted on Feb, 17 2010 @ 12:30 PM
link   
Great post.

Yes, this entire universe is just a "hologram" and it even gets more "bizarre" than that. Contradictions are all tied to one another and "soup" that holds everything together is simply endless possibility.

Quantum physicists are only catching up to Eastern mysticism that is thousands of years old. Science may have been born to squash the erroneous claims of the Christian Church, but in only a few hundred years we're already coming full circle and realizing the esoteric hearts of all these traditions of our ancestors were right-on all along.

For example, though the Greeks postulated that everything was made of extremely tiny particles ("atoms") that could be broke down no further, and all of these atoms are simply resting in a big empty space, and our science has followed naturally from that premise, it was originally the Hindus who said all matter is really created through energetic vibration and that space, time, matter, are all ultimately illusory compared to how we interpret them.

And they left it all behind in writing for us to discovery and experience for ourselves, even without all the fancy lab equipment, if we are just introspective enough to seek what they themselves found.

[edit on 17-2-2010 by bsbray11]

posted on Feb, 17 2010 @ 01:46 PM
link   
reply to post by bsbray11

Yes but if the "outside" of the universe is Planck's Length and the "inside" is FUZZY because it's "bigger" than the Planck's length -- this is a discovery about the smallest unit of TIME, actually.

Quantum physics is still limited by the "time-frequency uncertainty principle" discovered by holograph inventor Dennis Gabor.

So when Craig Hogan proposes a limit of measuring quantum gravity based on the holograph he still has to base that limit on quantum uncertainty of time and frequency since in Western science time is measured as a spatial phase-shift.

This is, of course, the original teaching of Pythagoras as well -- what the Chinese call the "infinite spiral of fifths" -- time is not a spatial measurement as per the Pythagorean Tetrad.

[edit on 17-2-2010 by drew hempel]

posted on Feb, 17 2010 @ 02:04 PM
link   
I think hologram was used allegorically. A hologram as I understand it is a photograph of the interferance pattern of more than one light source. This article is speaking about more than light. So hologram is perhaps not the best term to use.

Perhaps we should say "construct". What I got out of the article is that there is an implication that our universe may be a construct that sits on top of the true universe (or omniverse, or whatever). This would be similar to the way that an operating system on a computer is a construct that sits on top of the underlying processor. We obviously don't interact with the processor directly, instead we interact by way of the operating system using hardware and software. In fact, even our interactions with the software are constructs since we don't actually move the window, we give commands to the OS to move the window.. a sort of remote control.

To expand this further, if the theory is even moderately on target, it implies that whatever the nature of the universe really is, we cannot directly experience it, as our very natures are extensions of this construct. It also implies that the things we all occasionally experience that seem wierd or abnormal in the face of our understanding of physics are actually areas where the construct breaks down or has a hole (like digital static in a TV signal).

As I recall, "M" Theory was talking about something very similar to this in a round about way. Perhaps the bubble universes discussed in M theory are real and the static they see in their experiments is the physical boundary of this particular bubble universe?

posted on Feb, 17 2010 @ 03:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by Quantum_Squirrel
Are We living in a simulated universe?

Because in an infinite amount of possibility's the chance of a civilization arising to the technological state that allows them to simulate an artificial Universe drops to 1 in 1.

once an artificial Universe is created, that universe will then give rise to another civilization who does the same thing and so on and so forth.. thus creating many many more nested Fake universe than the universe that is on tier 1 of the pile...

Well according to this article we very well may be living in a simulated hologram.

There is the possibility that the hologram is not simulated - it could be self-generating; or a "creatrix" could be simultaneous with it. I am not saying it is just that that is still a possibility. The nested universe model still has an infinite regress problem as far as explanations go.

According to Craig Hogan, a physicist at the Fermilab particle physics lab in Batavia, Illinois, GEO600 has stumbled upon the fundamental limit of space-time - the point where space-time stops behaving like the smooth continuum Einstein described and instead dissolves into "grains", just as a newspaper photograph dissolves into dots as you zoom in. "It looks like GEO600 is being buffeted by the microscopic quantum convulsions of space-time," says Hogan.

the above theorist have proven that it would be possable to encode 3d information on a 2d surface and that we are all living on the edge of a blackhole.....

the article suggests that the boundary for the holographic universe is cosmic light which has not reached us yet. Is that a reference to this black hole theory?

[edit on 17-2-2010 by liquidself]

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join