It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Conspiracy theories about smoking tobacco?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 17 2010 @ 06:50 AM
link   
Hi ATS,

I’ll be quitting smoking tobacco next Monday. I quit for four months but took the habit back up around Christmas.

Has anyone heard of conspiracy theories relating to smoking? I’ve aware of the corrupt lobbying in terms of tobacco and alcohol vs. hemp. I’d be interested in hearing about theories relating to depopulation or the medicinal ‘dumbing down’ of the masses e.g. does smoking have a similar effect on the mind as fluoridated water?

We all know of the nasty compounds in tobacco such as formaldehyde, cyanide, lead, arsenic and benzene. We all know it’s lethal and leads to serious ramifications for our personal health. My question is as follows:

Is this a simple case of elevating greed and profit over health or is it tantamount to theories concerning dangerous vaccines and fluoridated water? Is there an agenda at hand other than profit?

As interested as I am in your answers, it’ll also be a great additional incentive to quit
. I’m not a fan of creating theories in the absence of a conspiracy. I’d just like to know what already exists. Then again, feel free to hypothesize.

Here’s an interesting statistical overview from infographic (the spelling and calculations leave a little to be desired however):

[edit on 17-2-2010 by rexusdiablos]

[edit on 17-2-2010 by rexusdiablos]

posted on Feb, 17 2010 @ 08:09 AM
link   
reply to post by rexusdiablos

I just smoked a NAS (original blend) in a 70mm stick, no filter, Zig Zag white paper. It's easy to quit premades, bleh!

Have personally smoked 150,000+ hand rolled 70mm smokes. Earlier I smoked Pall Mall, Winston, Marlboro, and God forgive me, Kools.

I hope St. Peter has a good supply of baccy when I get there, or I will complain.

posted on Feb, 17 2010 @ 08:33 AM
link   
Hi rexusdiablos, I've been smoking for about 25 years now, I decided to give up about two years ago, I had seen electronic cigarettes advertised on the net and decided to try them out, now there are no medical studies done on these so they could possibly be bad for you but man do they work! I gave up for six months straight without touching a cigarette, I then started again when I lost my Mother to cancer, no excuse I know but I was so low at her wake I just excepted one and didn't look back, I'm toying with the idea of quitting again and will go back on the electronic cigarette to do this, there are draw backs to this method of quitting, like your replacing one bad habit for another and your still addicted to nicotine but it worked for me, and when you consider the 1000's of damaging chemicals found in cigarettes they can't be as bad!

As for a conspiracy involved in cigarettes, well... I'd say the amount of taxation involved in them amounts to the governments (especially here in the UK) depending on the millions they get from the sales of them, I bet if every human gave up tomorrow the governments would be crying, so whether they secretly encourage smoking I really don't know, they certainly try to make themselves look like their anti-smoking but who knows what's going on behind the scenes?

Electronic Cigarettes

posted on Feb, 17 2010 @ 08:43 AM
link   
No conspiracy except commerical Tobacco growers use an artificial fertilizer that when burnt converts to Polonium.
Polonium is a radioactive elements that gives off Alpha particles which cause lung disease when inhaled via a ciggy.

Comercial groweers know that a switch to a different fertiliser would reduce "radioactivity" of the smoke inhaled but wont do it because it will reduce their yields.

I smoke and this has got me thinking about growing my own or finding organic tobacco( althoug tar and niccoteine arent good for you they arent anywhere near as carcinogenic as Polonium..)

[edit on 17-2-2010 by Jukiodone]

posted on Feb, 17 2010 @ 08:50 AM
link   
reply to post by Majestic RNA

E-cigs are safe, you don't need a study to tell you that considering there have been numerous studies on nicotine and Propylene glycol. Nicotine has alot of benefits. Anyway there is most definitely a conspiracy with cigs...i don't think it's some depopulation plan as everyone can choose whether or not to smoke. But the additives they add make the nicotine more bio-available hence more addictive. Ammonia being one of them. I'd just like to add that unless you grown your own tobacco you are always going to get alot of nasty chemicals etc added to it. I have heard from alot of people who grown their own that they cut down significantly.

[edit on 17-2-2010 by Solomons]

posted on Feb, 17 2010 @ 08:53 AM
link   
The only conspiracy I know is Tobbaco companys Do not have to list the ingredients in the products.

posted on Feb, 17 2010 @ 09:08 AM
link   
reply to post by Solomons

Well all I can say is they didn't do me any harm, I think Propylene glycol is very similar to the liquid used in smoke machines you get in nightclubs to enhance the lights, I haven't seen a case of anyone dead through exposure to them so I guess your right, they are safe..

posted on Feb, 17 2010 @ 09:13 AM
link   
Let's see. I posted a conspiracy theory relating to cigarettes awhile ago. Here is the link:

* Largest Medical Malpractice Cover-up of All Time

posted on Feb, 17 2010 @ 10:30 AM
link   
Smoking was practiced in many ancient cultures. Tobacco was smoked by native Americans. Settlers picked up this custom and made it popular. Knowledge about the detrimental effects of smoking on your health is much younger. Sadly knowledge is usually not enough to overcome established customs and traditions. This is especially true, if a huge industry tries to keep it's profit and employs numerous lobbyists.

So I guess, this a simple case of elevating greed and profit over health.

Like TLomon mentioned the tobacco industry is part of a well known conspiracy of the past. The tobacco industry was behind a PR campaign that counteracted scientific evidence which linked cigarette smoking to lung cancer. Paid scientists provided bogus research and a misinformation campaign is indirectly responsible for countless unnecessary deaths.

The campaign started in 1954 with the Frank Statement (link to document):

A Frank Statement to Cigarette Smokers was a historic advertisement run by major American tobacco companies on January 4, 1954 in response to a study showing that cigarette tar caused cancerous tumours on mouse skin.[1] The ad ran in more than 400 newspapers throughout the U.S. aimed at an estimated 43 million people. [2] The ad was the first in a campaign to dispute reports that smoking cigarettes could cause lung cancer and had other dangerous health effects.[1]

en.wikipedia.org...

The strategy for this campaign came not from tobacco insiders. It was developed by the PR company Hill and Knowlton.

PR people are liars. They bend the truth for their clients. But in my opinion H&K is by far the worst PR company. Not only were they responsible for the deaths of many smokers, their lies have caused deaths in other areas as well. One especially blatant example was the fake “nurse” Nayirah, whose touching story helped to get public support for the first Gulf War.

More lies by Hill & Knowlton, which lead to countless deaths

Also H&K helped to spin the 2004 Florida voting fraud allegations. They have worked for the African diamond mining company Debswana, the IMF and recently even for the Copenhagen Climate Council. I find it quite interesting, that the MMGW supporters have hired this ruthless PR company, which has a history of lies, deception and paid bogus “tobacco science”.

posted on Feb, 17 2010 @ 06:07 PM
link   
Definitely tobacco raises the metabolism while seemingly constricting the capilary system and providing smoke the liver has to detox. But here, perhaps is more, this link indicates that perhaps tobacco is a direct carrier of microbes facilitating disease.

www.sciencenews.org...

posted on Mar, 8 2010 @ 12:10 PM
link   
My son quit smoking a few months ago. He had tried before but each time got too depressed.. There is fluoride in the tobacco to make it harder to quit. Coming off of fluoride leaves a person feeling suicidal. It is also possible the the cancer causing properties in cigarettes are a result of the fluoride poisoning because fluoride has radioactive polonium waste in it. It also has lead. Considering that our medical industry was dominated by Nazis. at least the pre-Nazis, the ones who told the Nazis what to do, it is quite possible this was a plot to kill Americans by the medical industry also to make money from giving people cancer.

[edit on 8-3-2010 by m khan]

posted on Mar, 8 2010 @ 07:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by Sparkey76
The only conspiracy I know is Tobbaco companys Do not have to list the ingredients in the products.

Here is my conspiracy theory on tobacco:

Tobacco companies use toxic waste provided by the government that has no other use in their cigarettes, in exchange for legislative protection and the privilege to not list the ingredients used. The government wants toxic waste to be put into cigarettes so 1) the government has a way to dispose of toxic waste and 2) to keep the population dumbed down so the people don't question the methods of the government, because when people are addicted to something, say tobacco, they care a lot more about getting more tobacco than questioning a government that doesn't seem to be interfering with his quest to get more tobacco.

posted on Apr, 15 2010 @ 09:19 AM
link   
Thanks for sharing!!!

[
link removed]

[edit on 15-4-2010 by 12m8keall2c]

top topics

join