It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Oxytocin may help alleviate autism symptoms

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 16 2010 @ 09:47 PM
link   

Oxytocin, a hormone often referred to as the "cuddle chemical" for its role in helping to foster intimate relationships—particularly between mothers and their newborns—may help people with autism to read and react to social cues, according to the preliminary results of a small study published in the Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences. Individuals with autism spectrum disorders often have trouble engaging and interacting in social situations, frequently avoiding eye contact, for example, and previous research has also shown that people who are autistic often have lower levels of the hormone oxytocin. In this recent study, researchers from France's Center of Cognitive Neuroscience used nasal inhalers to give oxytocin to 13 individuals with high-functioning autism or Asperger's syndrome. Afterwards, the researchers examined the study participants' reactions to social stimuli. They found that, after the oxytocin, the subjects showed significant improvement on social tasks—including making more eye contact when shown pictures of faces, and responding to other players in a ball tossing game.

Source

About autism.

This is very interesting news. Autism spectrum disorders are thought to effect as many as 1 in 110 American children today, and its rate of diagnosis is on the rise. Very little progress has been made in its treatment, which makes this recent development a very positive one. I hope that this new information can be translated into an effective treatment, and that we hear more about it in the near future.

I know that enough people have autism for there to undoubtably be some members of ATS effected either directly or indirectly. I would like to hear your thoughts, and anyone else who cares to comment.

new topics

join