It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Athens, Greece: Bombing at JP Morgan Bank

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 16 2010 @ 07:59 PM
link   
There was a bombing today at a JP Morgan bank building in Athens, Greece. As the Greek Nation struggles with it's debt woes and economic instability, political backlash has taken root in the form of violence. And it seems these attacks are carefully aimed at banking and government institutions.

Bomb Explodes Outside JPMorgan Athens Office, No Injuries

When the Global Debt bomb finally explodes and the US economy tanks with it I think we should expect a similar backlash in our own back yards. It is only a matter of time before the guns come out.

[edit on 16-2-2010 by projectvxn]

posted on Feb, 16 2010 @ 08:05 PM
link   
I am glad no one was hurt. I hope people here will have better sense than to resort to violence as an answer. In Argentina they took to the streets beating their empty pots and pans. They took their noise to the capital. The president resigned and took off in a helicopter.

Hopefully, we will have something in place to counter any back lash of monetary collapse. After all, they have known this was coming for a long, long time. I am sure something must be in the works to reshape our country. Whatever it is, it's got to be better than what we have had.

[edit on 16-2-2010 by Alethea]

posted on Feb, 16 2010 @ 08:08 PM
link   
reply to post by Alethea

I would rather not rely on the government or any other institution to have contingency plans in place that would benefit the country as a whole. Profound changes are necessary. I too hope to not see a rise of violence in this country. But if you take everything away from a people what more do they have left to lose? This may very well get out of hand, and as a precaution I recommend you arm yourself, stock food, and pray for the best.

posted on Feb, 16 2010 @ 08:10 PM
link   
Good. I say blow more up! These people don't know anything other than violence!!!!!!!!!!! It's the only thing they will fear. Banging pots and pans? Yeah and if that didn't work?

posted on Feb, 16 2010 @ 08:16 PM
link   
Unfortunate that it has to come to this, but the Greek people are at the end of their rope.

Some people you can reason with, and some you have to smash right in the teeth to get their attention.

These corporate scoundrels may not give a rats tail about humanity and the suffering of the common man, but they will start paying attention when getting out of their cars each morning becomes a life and death struggle.

As the old saying goes.... "It aint no fun when the rabbit's got the gun"

posted on Feb, 16 2010 @ 08:35 PM
link   
I seem to remember a thread not to long ago about how the bankers where starting to carry guns. I think now we can see why. I think it is only a matter of time before you see this more widespread the Greek people are very strong and will not take any sh*t. It will only get worse over there and it may spill over into other counties if they are not careful.

I hope this world wide economy turns around but I think the fix is in. And I also think it is set up to make way for the world wide progressive oligarchy. The stage is set the actors are rehearsing and the audience is making there way to the seats. It is just about show time. Thank GOD we still have guns in America!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

posted on Feb, 16 2010 @ 09:17 PM
link   
Shades of September 16, 1920, anyone?

At noon, a wagon passed by lunchtime crowds on Wall Street in New York City and stopped across the street from the headquarters of the J.P. Morgan bank at 23 Wall Street, on the Financial District's busiest corner. Inside, 100 pounds (45 kg) of dynamite with 500 pounds (230 kg) of heavy, cast-iron sash weights exploded in a timer-set detonation,[2] sending the slugs tearing through the air. The horse and wagon were blasted into small fragments.

The 38 victims, most of whom died within moments of the blast, were mostly young and worked as messengers, stenographers, clerks and brokers.[3] It caused over $2 million in property damage and wrecked most of the interior spaces of the Morgan building.[4]

posted on Feb, 16 2010 @ 09:37 PM
link   
(UPDATE)

Bomber Warned News Paper of attack in Advance

A medium sized-bomb exploded Tuesday at a building housing offices of J.P. Morgan, the financial services firm, Greek police said.

A warning was phoned to a Greek newspaper 30 minutes before the explosion, and police evacuated the building, police spokesman Takis Papapetropoulos told CNN.

No one was hurt. The callers did not identify themselves, he said.

The warning call "means they don't want to have victims," he said. "They never say who it is when they call. They claim it after."

The call came about 7:15 p.m. (12:15 p.m. ET), he said.

There were at least two bombings in Athens last year, one targeting a politician's office and the other at a real estate office. There was also an attack on a television station by masked gunmen on motorcycles who threw a homemade explosive, authorities said at the time.

This is getting interesting I'd say.

posted on Feb, 16 2010 @ 09:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by projectvxn
This may very well get out of hand, and as a precaution I recommend you arm yourself, stock food, and pray for the best.

I think you advice stinks.
I will never own a weapon, I will share whatever I have, and I do not pray to some invisible SkyDaddy.

posted on Feb, 16 2010 @ 09:59 PM
link   
reply to post by Alethea

You can't take care of others if you don't take care of yourself. Nor is it possible to help everyone. It was only a recommendation. No need for hostility.

posted on Feb, 16 2010 @ 10:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by Subjective Truth
I seem to remember a thread not to long ago about how the bankers where starting to carry guns. I think now we can see why. I think it is only a matter of time before you see this more widespread the Greek people are very strong and will not take any sh*t. It will only get worse over there and it may spill over into other counties if they are not careful.

I hope this world wide economy turns around but I think the fix is in. And I also think it is set up to make way for the world wide progressive oligarchy. The stage is set the actors are rehearsing and the audience is making there way to the seats. It is just about show time. Thank GOD we still have guns in America!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hello,
I think I heard it was the executives of Goldman/Sachs after having been bailed-out. Something to do with "protocol." I could be wrong.
I was raised by an NRA member.

posted on Feb, 16 2010 @ 10:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by Someone336
Shades of September 16, 1920, anyone?

At noon, a wagon passed by lunchtime crowds on Wall Street in New York City and stopped across the street from the headquarters of the J.P. Morgan bank at 23 Wall Street, on the Financial District's busiest corner. Inside, 100 pounds (45 kg) of dynamite with 500 pounds (230 kg) of heavy, cast-iron sash weights exploded in a timer-set detonation,[2] sending the slugs tearing through the air. The horse and wagon were blasted into small fragments.

The 38 victims, most of whom died within moments of the blast, were mostly young and worked as messengers, stenographers, clerks and brokers.[3] It caused over $2 million in property damage and wrecked most of the interior spaces of the Morgan building.[4]

I wonder if believers in timewave can make these incidents line up?

[edit on 16-2-2010 by jacksmoke]

posted on Feb, 16 2010 @ 10:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by Alethea

Originally posted by projectvxn
This may very well get out of hand, and as a precaution I recommend you arm yourself, stock food, and pray for the best.

I think you advice stinks.
I will never own a weapon, I will share whatever I have, and I do not pray to some invisible SkyDaddy.

Hello,
When I was younger, there was a dog running in my neighborhood. I brought her in my house to feed her because she had nursers hanging from her belly. It was too late for me to save my sisters kitten though. Pitbulls don't let-go in time, and I learned a hard lesson about lending a helping hand to those in need. I was feeding her dog food, but she wanted my sister's kitten instead.
So you think when or if TSHTF you're going to be helping beggars? You might be easy prey, and since you have no faith, why would you want to survive the tribulation anyway? Yeah, I'm a fatalist minded individual too, but I ain't going belly-up without a fight, and a prayer for survival. In any case, I'd like to see you on the other side, beloved sister.

posted on Feb, 16 2010 @ 10:24 PM
link   
As a former soldier, I can say it's sometimes necessary to spill blood.

"Occasionally the tree of Liberty must be watered with the blood of Patriots and Tyrants." — Thomas Jefferson

Those who don't have a god don't have human rights, alienable rights, they're nothing more than evolved animals. Those who don't practice the right to keep or bear arms, curse their communities to the fate suffered by the Kurds, the Cambodians in the killing fields, the millions killed by Stalin, Hitler, Idi Amin, Mao Tse-Tung, and other monsters.

Planting a bomb that doesn't hurt anyone is a warning shot. It's a message, they didn't execute the sentence.

posted on Feb, 16 2010 @ 10:41 PM
link   
Thats awsome that they phoned in a warning so everyone could get to safety :p I think most of the people working at the bank who could have been injured are innocents. No need to hurt them.

posted on Feb, 16 2010 @ 10:55 PM
link   
reply to post by projectvxn

While all of this sounds great to folks who want the system to come crashing down, it is moronic and hurts the Greeks.

The only thing this does is further underscore the fact that Greece is not a good place to invest capital, not that it ever was. JP Morgan does not care a bit about this given that nobody was hurt. They'll just pack up and go home. For those who say "good", it is not good when viable businesses can not get financing to expand. What Greece needs is a viable public sector.

The Greeks have nobody to blame but themselves. I've lived in Greece. The Greeks don't work. Now you can go out into the country and see folks working the land, but in towns and cities, folks don't work. They're in the taverna in the morning sipping on coffee and shooting the breeze, they are back at the taverna at 4 for a few cocktails and more shooting the breeze. Dinner at 9 or 10, naps in the afternoon and huge public dole.

What you have now are people who have sat by and watched their parents live this lifestyle and now the government comes in and says no can do any longer. The folks come back with "why are we broke?". They're broke because they have done very little but sit about eating great food and sipping ouzo for the past 50 years and paying for that nonsense with debt.

posted on Feb, 16 2010 @ 11:18 PM
link   
reply to post by dolphinfan

It's no different anywhere in the EU (or the US). The days of instant gratification paid by debt are over-For Greece today, and tomorrow?

posted on Feb, 16 2010 @ 11:40 PM
link   

No doubt, but at least most of Europe and the US have an actual industrial base that they can return to. The Greeks have no industrial economy, nor service economy for that matter. They rely on tourism and olive oil. When the economies of the world take a hit, vacations stop and when times are tough, folks don't buy the $12/bottle of kalamata olive oil.

Greece is screwed. They will get bailed out by the EU which will further hit the Euro. There is nothing they can do. If they don't bail them out, the refugee problem to the north will be massive and it will cascade from there.

Having lived there, I can tell you that on places like Crete, where I lived, the Greeks could care less. They don't go to the mainland, everything grows there and they lead a very simple and high quality life. Go to the mainland Greece is a different story. Mainland Greece has been on the edge for about a decade and now I fear there is no going back. No clue about what they are going to do to fix this problem. It is clear that the Germans don't want to simply give them cash and believe me, it is not in the Greek gene to take orders or live up to the expectations of others. They still point up at the Acropolis and think they rule the world or that the world owes them for Plato.

posted on Feb, 16 2010 @ 11:59 PM
link   
The growing debt bomb: Facing a one- to three-year countdown

This should help people understand why the crisis in Greece is so analogous to our circumstances in the US. Iceland collapsed in the early stages of the global financial crisis. For many, this was a serious wake up call, especially when the political fallout between Iceland and Great Britain was brought to the surface.

If a default of that magnitude happens here in the US(and it is looking more likely every day) the ramifications could be disastrous. God only know what it will do to the rest of the world. War or rebellion are certainly guaranteed.

[edit on 17-2-2010 by projectvxn]

posted on Jun, 1 2010 @ 01:06 AM
link   

Yeah dude for sure, people are already extremely angry with the banks here in the US, and then documentaries like Zeitgeist Addendum will only add fuel to the fire.

new topics

top topics

join