It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

CNN Poll: Anti-incumbent fever at record high

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 16 2010 @ 06:58 PM
link   

CNN Poll: Anti-incumbent fever at record high

politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com

Washington (CNN) – Only a third of U.S. voters think that most members of Congress deserve to be re-elected this year, according to a new national poll. That's the lowest number ever recorded for that question in a CNN survey.

The CNN/Opinion Research Corp. poll, released Tuesday, indicates that only 34 percent feel that current federal lawmakers deserve re-election, with 63 percent saying no.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.associatedcontent.com
thebulletin.us

www.abovetopsecret.com...

[edit on 16-2-2010 by Jakes51]

posted on Feb, 16 2010 @ 06:58 PM
link   
So, I was watching CNN today, and I found these polling figures to be quite interesting. Apparently, it looks like November is going to be political Armageddon for seated members of both the House and Senate? This economy is not getting any better, people are still getting the axe in droves, we have a President showing signs of a disruption to his agenda and indecisiveness, two feuding parties who have brought the legislature to a stand still, and last but not least, a deficit that continues to rise into the stratosphere.

Perhaps, we are watching the end of the current political establishment of the Republican and Democrats being the only viable alternatives at election time? Maybe, the opportunity for viable a third party to make its way on the political landscape is before us?

That will be good enough change for me. Looking at these figures, I think both the incumbent Democrats and Republicans are about to scramble for any political miracle to save their cushy jobs in Washington. Then, you have Republicans and Democrats retiring and jumping ship to other parties. It seems an awakening maybe taking shape among the voters, and chaos has befallen the political establishment? Lets hope these numbers are the real thing, and not fluke when the rubber hits the road in November. Perhaps, the days are numbered for the career politician?

(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Feb, 16 2010 @ 08:59 PM
link   
So, I pulled up the full results of the poll, here i2.cdn.turner.com...

Although I am always cautious about polls, I did see some things that concern me, somewhat.

First, is that as of February 12th-15th, only 5% of the respondents indicated they would vote for a party other than Dem or Rep, if the elections were held "today".That is very disappointing, to me.

Second, using the same data, those voting for Dem and Rep, was even, at 46%. That, again, is disappointing, as it indicates there will be no changes to the balance of power, in Congress.

One segment is exceptionally discouraging, as it shows that the sheeple are unchanged in their view of Washington politics. Sad. Question 4 on page 4, of the .pdf, indicates voters are satisfied with their own Representative, but think the rest do not deserve to be re-elected. This is how career politicians are made. If it wasn't so depressing, it would be infuriating.

Lastly, 42% of respondents believe Barack Obama is "middle class". In 2005, Obama paid $1.65 million for a home. Middle class? Really? Amazingly, 12% think he is "working class" ???????? I thought Washington didn't have a clue. They don't have anything on the sheeple.

How much is a one way ticket to...anywhere but here?

posted on Feb, 16 2010 @ 09:30 PM
link   
reply to post by WTFover

You are right to be cautious about polls, because we really have no idea what demographics they are using. However, I saw that number 63% of people disagreeing with incumbency electorate in both the House and Senate, and that kind of made look at it twice. I know things appear to be 50/50 at least according to CNN's poll for President Obama's approval rating, the Dem and Rep among voters, and the sobering 5% stating they would vote for a party other than the Dems and the Reps.

However, a house is built brick by brick, and perhaps some light is creeping through the darkness at 63% percent stating they are in disagreement of incumbent candidates? That tells me people are upset with business in Washington. However, maybe the people finished the rest of the poll without putting much thought into the other aspects, such as, the other points you mentioned? They knew one thing, and that is how ticked off they are at obstruction going on in the legislature. Secondly, the almost half and half approval ratings of the President, that tells me those that were questioned are still on the fence about what he is doing. So, in light of that, he is going to be more cautious now.

That is a good thing, because hopefully, it will put the brakes on his radical agenda. Hopefully, what will frost the people about the Republican and Democrat brand, is when the Republicans take office and things remain the same. If that doesn't turn on the light bulb in their heads, then we know for certain that they are professional sports, tabloid, and reality TV zombies. That is when I will know, that there is nowhere left to go but down. You bring up some good points, and thanks for the reply.

posted on Feb, 16 2010 @ 10:21 PM
link   
Those are decent numbers. I personally would like to vote out every incumbent, except for a few (Ron Paul for example).

However, I wonder if polls like that even matter. Will the winner be the one that spends the most money on the campaign as usual? It always seems like people can't be bothered with actually doing some research so they just vote for their preferred party or they vote for whoever advertises the most.

posted on Feb, 17 2010 @ 12:32 PM
link   
To quote another post of mine in another thread, ...

Few Americans Want Members of Congress Re-Elected, Poll Finds
My Post in This Thread

What really needs to be done is to get rid of the "career" politicians in Congress. These guys get into "bed" with these lobbyists and "special interest" groups and ignore what the people who elected them want and are crying out for.

Limit them to 2 or 3 terms then they are OUT!

Incumbents (or career politicians) "learn" how to "play the game" all to well when they have been in office for too long and totally lose touch with what the average American person is going through.

These people live in their own little "elite" world and after years in power as one of our elected officials lose touch with what serving "the people" really means.

[edit on 2/17/2010 by Keyhole]

posted on Feb, 17 2010 @ 12:48 PM
link   
I am also angry at Congress. Not just at the opposing party, but also my own, for being such wimps and letting their opponents roll over them.

Electing a bunch of Republicans again will give us back the same government we had under Bush. Tax cuts for corporations and the rich and nothing for the middle class. Rising health care costs and insurance premiums. Neocon foreign policy.

Re-electing our present representatives will give us the same gridlock.

I don't necessarily believe a bunch of naive greenhorns can revolutionize our messed-up legislative process either.

But -- and this is rare for me -- I'm willing to consider a third, fourth or fifth party's candidate (or more).

[edit on 17-2-2010 by Sestias]

top topics

join