It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How do you deal with the tyranny of the group?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 16 2010 @ 06:43 PM
link   
What I'm talking about is peer-pressure and the forcefulness that groups have on you to conform to them. I was just writing about this in my journal like just now. I feel that too often times I'm forced to reconcile with groups so that I don't let my individual self get known. I don't act how I really act... or tell them all the things about me that I would like to tell them because I'm in a group.

I think that sometimes groups can be so tyrannical they almost may force you to be deceitful about yourself. Sometimes it's all a game of perception. And I've always considered myself to be a rebel and I hate conformity, and, I was just hoping people here would have a way of dealing with it. I just can't stand forced conformity and peer pressure. You sometimes just have to go along with whatever the group does just because. So who cares what the rest of the group might be doing? I want to be different. I want to be myself, an individual. I don't want to look like an outcast doing it.

But does anyone here know what I'm talking about? How do you deal with the tyranny of the group? I really hate it so much sometimes.

posted on Feb, 16 2010 @ 08:13 PM
link   
The only way I could deal with it was to let go and that meant even distancing myself from my own brother, I just got pushed into things that I would never have done otherwise and it was not healthy for me! and I was so sick of running with the crowd, so I let go and i'm much happier for it now! i'm me, the person I should be.

I suggest just little by little standing your ground and making yourself heard! they will either accept it or they wont! you can't bow down to the pressure forever, and you never know, others maybe feel the same way you do?

posted on Feb, 16 2010 @ 09:03 PM
link   
Be yourself always, but be open to other things too.

Be yourself first.
Don't march to the tune of a different drummer, BE the different drummer.
Ask yourself what you hope to get from the majority and can you get it elsewhere.

posted on Feb, 16 2010 @ 09:14 PM
link   
I'm what you would call a weirdo, so I don't feel peer pressure as much as most people. Of course I have experienced it before, but the need to be an individual inside me is just as strong if not stonger than the need to fit in. Maybe it's best that way.

posted on Feb, 16 2010 @ 09:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by HarvestMoon
I'm what you would call a weirdo, so I don't feel peer pressure as much as most people.

Bless your weird little heart. Stay yourself.

[from another weirdo]

posted on Feb, 16 2010 @ 09:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by HarvestMoon
the need to be an individual inside me is just as strong if not stonger than the need to fit in. Maybe it's best that way.

That's great Harvest! say's a lot about you
and if a weirdo is what you are, then the definition needs changing!

posted on Feb, 17 2010 @ 03:43 AM
link   
reply to post by Frankidealist35

I think that the best advice that my Dad ever gave me was "don't be a sheep ." In my teen years I was able to ignore peer pressure more then most maybe I am a bit weird as well .

Cheers xpert11 .

posted on Feb, 17 2010 @ 07:48 AM
link   
I think that your mere recognition of the true nature of the group dynamics is something in your favour (even if you have to force yourself to conform on occasion). Imagine participating sheep-like in group activities and not even being aware of it.

I would guess that your awareness of your need for individual expression makes you a more tolerant person. That is something to be celebrated.

new topics

top topics

join