It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Fox News (conservatives) declare WAR against Higher Education

page: 13
<< 10  11  12   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 18 2010 @ 10:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by rusethorcain
reply to post by EvolvedMinistry

It is in one political parties best interest to keep all it's constituents sickly and stupid. Everywhere you turn you can see them moving in that direction in almost every area when it comes to health or education. How can you continue to sell all the cigarettes you make to your constituents unless you stop educating them so well....a duh?

Unfortunately the democratic party cannot get away with any such sick and stupid agenda since they have a multi-colored variety, a disagreeable base of individuals who think for themselves (for better or worse) and they just will not go along with or follow any great social plan such as this.

But the other party, these lock step "talking points robots" can be fooled into thinking just about any old thing their representatives want them to think. All they do is bad mouth the other candidate, threaten, bribe or purchase and there are your votes! Like candy from a baby.

I'm pretty much in agreement. This world should be breeding thinkers, not yes men.

posted on Feb, 18 2010 @ 09:22 PM
link   

Maybe you misunderstood me. In order to get even a middle-class job in today's world, you HAVE to have a degree to even have a chance.

But I am saying in principle you do not need a degree in order to be qualified for most of these jobs. Advertising, carpentry, entertainment, journalism, and so on and so on really do not require college courses to be qualified, but rather a few years on the job or self-education.

posted on Feb, 19 2010 @ 04:17 AM
link   

CPAC Conservative Party Action Committee had their Obama bashing session tonite. Cheney was there flicking his tongue. Dick teased the audience, saying it was almost enough to make him think of running in 2012. He got a huge applause which he savored for a good long time before admitting it was just a joke.
There's typical Dick- inhaling hopes and dreams of his loyal fans for an instant then expelling them all in a hearty belch. Ho ho ho I was just joshing, that was just for the applause folks.
And this man has followers.
Some people love to be punished.

I just heard Erick Erickson from redstate.com (or magazine or beer) I don't exactly know what Republican entity he stands for but speaking for CPAC and the Republicans tonight on Campbell Brown (CNN) regarding the upcoming elections. Showing clips from this years convention and discussing how CPAC culls future republican candidates and chooses those who'll run for election. Erick Erickson said "we want to make sure he is the right kind of republican"

Now can you picture any significant Democratic spokesperson telling a news anchor "WE WANT TO MAKE SURE HE'S THE RIGHT KIND OF DEMOCRAT"????"

NFW

posted on Feb, 19 2010 @ 05:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by centurion1211

Originally posted by Angus123
Anti-intellectualism is all the rage in right wing circles.

Actually, it's anti-elitism that is the rage in "right-wing circles".

The elitism that goes with liberal "intellectuals" being so sure they are more intelligent than the "common people" - like the ones that watch Fox News and vote against "progressive" candidates.

"Elites" must put up with such regular people on a daily basis and it confounds them to no end.

I guess we may have differing opinions but I would prefer to have elite and educated individuals doing the important jobs.

If you are ready to have Joe the Plumber and Sarah Palin running the country, great but stupid people make stupid decisions and that is exactly what you will get if you elect people like this into office. When Bush was elected all sorts of people made comments how, Bush was the kind of guy they would like to have a beer with. Why should that be a prerequisite to highly important jobs. Would you require the same of your doctor, airline pilot, etc.

I would prefer to have people who are educated in the doctrines of logic and critical thinking along with all the other "elite" fields of study do the jobs that require an actual education. Being smart doesnt mean that you do not care or admire or relate to the work of the "common man". Many of the so called elites, came from poor families and thanks to grants and loans, they were able to get an education.

I'm just a little confused as to what definition of "elite" you are using.

posted on Feb, 19 2010 @ 07:16 AM
link   
Colleges do have a liberal slant. I honestly don't even think that's debatable. I live in Texas and my school definitely pushed liberal politics.

posted on Feb, 19 2010 @ 06:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by dietsamcola
Colleges do have a liberal slant. I honestly don't even think that's debatable. I live in Texas and my school definitely pushed liberal politics.

Most college professors identify themselves as liberal but that doesnt mean that college has a liberal slant. A good professor is a good professor and good professors leave politics out of teaching. This is my experience and I have been in college for a decade.

There are certainly professors that have a liberal or conservative slant and bring it into the classroom but this will happen in every area of life.

I could do a study to show that most business managers are conservative but not all will bring their politics to work each day. Its just the nature of that field.

If conservatives are mad because there are more liberals than conservatives teaching at universities, then maybe they should get themselves an education and start teaching at the college level. Instead of whining and complaining about how unfair it is or that "damage" this does to society.

posted on Feb, 19 2010 @ 10:11 PM
link   
The other day Obama was walking down the street and met up with a girl carrying a basket. He asked her what she had in the basket and the girl stated she had some kittens.

Obama asked what kind of kittens they were and the girl replied that they were Democrat kittens. Obama was ecstatic.

Several weeks later Rahm and Obama were travelling down the same road and came across the same girl. Obama squealed and told Rahm the girl had some special kittens in the basket she was carrying.

So Rahm asked the girl what kind of kitten she had, the girl said she had conservative kittens. Obama got a little miffed and stated that just 3 weeks earlier that you said they were Democrats. Yes the girl said, THEY were Democrats, then they opened their eyes and saw reality.

But Rahm being smarter than most, stated that excuse me, you said they were conservative.

Yes the girl said, they first saw the folly of the Dems and then saw that the Repubs were the same, then seeing the folly of both parties, the kittens signed up for the TEA PARTY MOVEMENT!

posted on Feb, 19 2010 @ 10:25 PM
link   
reply to post by endisnighe

Not sure that I get your little story. But can you explain to me what the Tea Party stands for? What is there stance on healthcare? Medicare? What is their policy on international relations? Who is running for the Tea Party? Are they for zero taxes? Are they opposed to all social programs and services? Police? Fire?

I'm not really sure what the Tea Party stands for except, being angry and misinformed about the issues that they attempt to disagree with.

If you are a Tea Party supporter you should have no problem answering all of these questions, and explaining the logistics behind implementing any of these policies.

posted on Feb, 19 2010 @ 10:36 PM
link   
reply to post by iamcamouflage

Cool, you actually asked me my opinion.

You did not misrepresent my position, and did not try to include me in your agenda, STAR FOR THAT RESPONSE!

Government is the problem.

First, let us reduce the size of gov. That will free up money. Next, let us remember that we are a sovereign country and other countries are also.

That should free up about 1 Trillion-1.5. Now, let us reduce the pay to ALL gov officials to about 50% of what they are now. Next, let us look at fraud in all SS and Medicare. Now, gov is involved in all of that, CORRECT? Let us eliminate ALL officials in the administration of that and let the private sector handle it.

That just eliminated another 1 Trillion.

With everything I just did, it also eliminated another 10 Trillion off future retirement agreements that have been implemented.

I will take a bow now.

Oh, and if you want to whine about the people that lost work, KMA. You DO NOT MAINTAIN A MANAGEMENT SYSTEM THAT IS WORTHLESS.

If the losers in gov cannot find a job in the private sector, maybe they can join the unemployment lines!

posted on Feb, 20 2010 @ 12:24 AM
link   
reply to post by endisnighe

Sorry but I am still confused as to what you would do or what they stand for. Smaller govt. I get that but by what account? You say: "First, let us reduce the size of gov. That will free up money." In what respect? Its easy to say reduce the size of govt but does that mean doing away with all govt funded programs? No more research grants? Will we still have a national military?

You say look for fraud in SS and Medicare, but if you continue to fund them how is that smaller govt.? Would we pay any income tax under the TP agenda? How are we going to maintain, the highway system? Are the police still going to be taxpayer funded or are we now going to be required to provide our own protections? What about fire depts? Are we getting rid of the public school system?

Now, let us reduce the pay to ALL gov officials to about 50% of what they are now.

This I can absolutely agree with. Politicians are supposed to be public servants. They should not be paid well, the incentive is to do good not make a fortune. We have too many career politicians.

Next, let us look at fraud in all SS and Medicare. Now, gov is involved in all of that, CORRECT? Let us eliminate ALL officials in the administration of that and let the private sector handle it.

Let the private sector handle all healtcare? What about the people who cannot afford healthcare? Do we let them die and suffer?

You said a lot but I'm not sure that you really provided any substance as to what would be solved or how any of this would be implemented.

Is this your stance or the stance and mission of the TP movement?

You state that Govt. is the problem.

posted on Feb, 20 2010 @ 12:36 AM
link   

The TPM's basic tenant is that government is the problem.

Corruption, out of control spending, out of control taxation, out of CONTROL!

If you want my views on this thread on how I would solve problems, you had better want about 5 pages of solutions. Better, go to my home page to see my solutions.

Health Care is not a problem. Pay is a problem. Gov involvement in health care has caused the problem of out of control prices. Look at cosmetic surgery, prices have decreased and quality has increased, guess what, no gov involvement!

Government is the problem, not the solution. Insurance is another layer to the management/government control of health care. Should we expand insurance?

Like I said, look at my home page for my views on solutions.

posted on Feb, 21 2010 @ 12:54 AM
link   
If Fox News (conservatives) declare WAR against Higher Education they should begin the war at home and inside FOX corporate headquarters highest office.

Whomever was that first group or person at FOX to hire a so called highly educated media expert individual from the "Circus of Imbeciles" is the exact person to blame for FOX becoming just another controlled media giant selling what makes them money and what assists agendas and agreements not known to the public. They do not serve the public pretending to be real news or real anything.

The media has become nothing but a group of different corporate clowns but for some reason all from the Circus of Imbeciles.

I'll just bet Al Gore went there too!

posted on Feb, 21 2010 @ 01:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by MaxBlack
If Fox News (conservatives) declare WAR against Higher Education they should begin the war at home and inside FOX corporate headquarters highest office.

Whomever was that first group or person at FOX to hire a so called highly educated media expert individual from the "Circus of Imbeciles" is the exact person to blame for FOX becoming just another controlled media giant selling what makes them money and what assists agendas and agreements not known to the public. They do not serve the public pretending to be real news or real anything.

The media has become nothing but a group of different corporate clowns but for some reason all from the Circus of Imbeciles.

I'll just bet Al Gore went there too!

I am in complete agreement. We've reached the age of tabloid media being sold off to us as viable information.

posted on Feb, 21 2010 @ 01:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by endisnighe

The TPM's basic tenant is that government is the problem.

Corruption, out of control spending, out of control taxation, out of CONTROL!

If you want my views on this thread on how I would solve problems, you had better want about 5 pages of solutions. Better, go to my home page to see my solutions.

Health Care is not a problem. Pay is a problem. Gov involvement in health care has caused the problem of out of control prices. Look at cosmetic surgery, prices have decreased and quality has increased, guess what, no gov involvement!

Government is the problem, not the solution. Insurance is another layer to the management/government control of health care. Should we expand insurance?

Like I said, look at my home page for my views on solutions.

I agree that government is the problem for sure. And as long as the government as well as corporations have control over media outlets, this will be the brand of news that we can expect for some time to come.

posted on Feb, 21 2010 @ 01:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by iamcamouflage

Most college professors identify themselves as liberal but that doesnt mean that college has a liberal slant. A good professor is a good professor and good professors leave politics out of teaching. This is my experience and I have been in college for a decade.

There are certainly professors that have a liberal or conservative slant and bring it into the classroom but this will happen in every area of life.

I could do a study to show that most business managers are conservative but not all will bring their politics to work each day. Its just the nature of that field.

If conservatives are mad because there are more liberals than conservatives teaching at universities, then maybe they should get themselves an education and start teaching at the college level. Instead of whining and complaining about how unfair it is or that "damage" this does to society.

Actually, it is all dependent on which school that you go to. Liberal arts=liberal. Business school=conservative. However, the big thing here is that we get beyond the two party system because that is what is sinking us into the ground in the first place.

posted on Feb, 21 2010 @ 01:45 PM
link   

It is quite debatable. As I said before, if you go to the school of liberal arts, then, you're going to get a liberal slant.

If you go to the business school, then you'll get a conservative one. However, again...we need to rise beyond these ideologies in order to see the big picture. These names and labels are how the American people are separated and different. We need to find out what unites us.

posted on Feb, 21 2010 @ 01:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by Viral

Maybe you misunderstood me. In order to get even a middle-class job in today's world, you HAVE to have a degree to even have a chance.

But I am saying in principle you do not need a degree in order to be qualified for most of these jobs. Advertising, carpentry, entertainment, journalism, and so on and so on really do not require college courses to be qualified, but rather a few years on the job or self-education.

You're correct. But, in this day in age, most employers will consider someone with a degree over those who do not. If I walk in side by side with a guy who doesn't have a degree for a carpentry position, chances are, I will get the job over the that guy for a number of reasons, and education would be the primary one.

posted on Mar, 7 2010 @ 10:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by antonia

Originally posted by K J Gunderson

Wow. I have some advice for you. Calm down.

I had no idea you could ascertain someone's emotional state over the internet.

You did not respond to it at all.

I did, I told you no matter of improvement in general education would ensure all people went to college or could get through it.

Why are you not out doing something useful if you cannot be intelligent?

It was a reasoned response. You just wanted me to agree with you. I don't, sorry for your luck. The previous poster was correct in that the more people receive degrees, the less valuable degrees become. You will have a compounding problem, one in which a person will have to attain more degrees or higher ones (such as masters, doctorates) to make-up for that lack of value. There is an eventual cap to this. So in my mind, the best solution is not to ensure that everyone is smart enough to be able to get a degree. The better solution is to identify what talents people have and encourage them to move into those directions. Everyone should come to a certain standard in basic education of course, but what is the need of a person learning calculus if they have no use for it. Understand?

edit to add:College is not to turn out chiefs, only better indians. Really good indians usually become chief.

The point here is there are better and cheaper ways to churn out Indians.

[edit on 17-2-2010 by antonia]

You are looking at education from an individual, production-oriented(money) point of view and not a humanist one. You say that not everyone is meant for college, while it may be true, it does not dispute the fact a better educated populace will inherently lead to a more enlightened populace in which new ideas spring about more readily, citizens are more aware of their rights and freedoms, equality is demanded, laws become less barbarous, and on and on and on.

You also brought up the point about someone "needing" prior education in order to succeed in university and that is a completely idiotic point of view that has no basis in fact. Courses ending in 101 are by definition introductory and do provide so a starting foundation for future coursework. You are naive to assume that introductory college courses are limiting to people with the will and intelligence to succeed. That some do not is entirely a subjective occurrence and should not merit wide scale application of assumption on your part about what people should or should not be doing with their lives. After all, it's THEIR decision what they ultimately become. That you would prescribe funneling people into various fields uneducated because you deem their ability insufficient for academic endeavors is missing the point of education.

You are a music major. Enough said. I mean, seriously, what are you going to provide me? Yet, you don't see me telling you what you should or should not be pursuing. Music itself is such a subjective artistry that there's a good chance your exploits will benefit very few people. So, a little pot calling the kettle black.

[edit on 7-3-2010 by Pontius]

posted on Mar, 7 2010 @ 11:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by antonia
reply to post by concernedcitizan

Orwell eh? I probably would have told Orwell the Low would much rather take the place of the High as well.

Is that why the Low tend to give to charity at far greater proportions of their income than the High?

Your implicit understanding of socioeconomic class ideology is haphazard at best. But being that you are a stay at home feminist, I can see how your logic works.

new topics

top topics

<< 10  11  12   >>

join