It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Tea Party Lights Fuse for Rebellion on Right

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 16 2010 @ 01:07 PM
link   

Tea Party Lights Fuse for Rebellion on Right

www.nytimes.com

Urged on by conservative commentators, waves of newly minted activists are turning to once-obscure books and Web sites and discovering a set of ideas long dismissed as the preserve of conspiracy theorists, interviews conducted across the country over several months show. In this view, Mr. Obama and many of his predecessors (including George W. Bush) have deliberately undermined the Constitution and free enterprise for the benefit of a shadowy international network of wealthy elites.

Mr. (Ron) Paul led Mrs. Southwell to Patriot ideology, which holds that governments and economies are controlled by networks of elites who wield power through exclusive entities like the Bilderberg Group, the Trilateral Commission and the Council on Foreign Relations.

This idea has a long history, with variations found at both ends of the political spectrum. But to Mrs. Southwell, the government’s culpability for the recession — the serial failures of regulation, the Federal Reserve’s epic blunders, the cozy bailouts for big banks — made it resonate all the more, especially as she witnessed the impact on family and friends.

“The more you know, the madder you are,” she said. “I mean when you finally learn what the Federal Reserve is!”
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 16-2-2010 by NightGypsy]

posted on Feb, 16 2010 @ 01:07 PM
link   
I was pretty surprised at this article in the New York Times. It doesn't seem to be the usual propaganda the media deploys to undermine any efforts like the ones of the Tea Party movement, who've given credibility to conspiracy theories and desire to move away from the reign of the elite.

Maybe this is the start of something good. Your thoughts/opinions?

www.nytimes.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Feb, 16 2010 @ 01:10 PM
link   
reply to post by NightGypsy

It could be good or bad. By acknowledging something like conspiracy theory they are poised to either belittle that segment of people or embrace it as a fact. Either assumption could be true.

posted on Feb, 16 2010 @ 01:14 PM
link   
I don't like the idea of grouping all these different groups under one banner...If there is a staged event at an assassination attempt on Obama and they can link it to the patriot movement then this article is bad news...IMO.

posted on Feb, 16 2010 @ 01:22 PM
link   
reply to post by peponastick

Maybe that is the point, I have said it many times, You can’t conquer America were too well Armed, you don’t want to nuke America, there is an abundance of wealth here, and you can’t have your world government with America in the way.... So you take it out from the inside, you collapse it, and being that Americans can be so resilient to finish it off, you take out the first black president and then blame it on some Crazy Cracker or maybe the Tea Party Movement.... Then you have Americas Second Civil War, Millions dead, and people begging for the UN to come in and take over to secure are Nuclear Arsenal, and the remaining food supplies and Population....

Just my theory god forbid it happens.

posted on Feb, 16 2010 @ 01:23 PM
link   
reply to post by ExPostFacto

True, but this article didn't have any undertones that were negative, which is a good sign because usually the media doesn't hesitate to try to discredit the theories. Perhaps the percentage of people with these viewpoints has become too numerous to the point they feel they are losing credibility in their propaganda efforts. I think the media is going to have to make a decision in the very near future. Either they are going to break away from TPTB and show their support for Americans or they are going to succumb to ruin. People are wising up to their propaganda campaigns. We have the power to financially ruin the media. That is one thing that we do still have in our control.

posted on Feb, 16 2010 @ 01:28 PM
link   
reply to post by peponastick

I don't like the idea of grouping all these different groups under one banner...If there is a staged event at an assassination attempt on Obama and they can link it to the patriot movement then this article is bad news...IMO.

I know, I have the same concern. I am hoping people will move away from this tendency to identify with groups so much. A united effort is best. The problem is, you can't control the actions of others and there are some extremist groups out there that are ready to rumble. Most Americans don't prefer that route, but the actions of a few could effect the rest negatively, I agree.

posted on Feb, 16 2010 @ 01:31 PM
link   
I am surprised that the reporter included this little line:
They have a larger goal — a political reordering that would drastically shrink the federal government and sweep away not just Mr. Obama, but much of the Republican establishment, starting with Senator John McCain.

It actually sounds like he did some research rather than extrapolating from protest signs. Still the RNC is trying to co-opt the TPM for thier own endds but they just don't get it. WE DON'T LIKE EITHER PARTY. I hope after thier meeting with Steele we go and meet with his Democratic counterpart. Both of these elitist parties need to understand you are not going to enfold the TPM under the wing of one of the 2 parties. It IS time for a third party. They claim if that happens it will hand the keys to the gov't to the liberal left. And that hasn't happened? Maybe if members from both parties start to see that there is a viable third party candidate maybe that will provoke some thought to voters in both parties. Some want a revolution, total overthrow. I want an overthrow of the 2 party system. The elitist gasbaggery. We need to remove the monetary restrictions from candidacy. It was instituted to say that these people are already wealthy, rich and successful so they will be less likely to be succeptable to bribes. The same thing happens when the Fed Gov't hires you. They look at your credit rating and finances. Thinking only the poor or in debt will do dirty things for money. WRONG! Most people scraping by don't turn to illegal activities to support themselves. Greed is only applicable when you get used to building wealth. Alot of decent people in this country make a decent honest living without becoming greedy. Time to break out the firehoses and clear out the nations capitol.

posted on Feb, 16 2010 @ 01:34 PM
link   
reply to post by poedxsoldiervet

Maybe that is the point, I have said it many times, You can’t conquer America were too well Armed, you don’t want to nuke America, there is an abundance of wealth here, and you can’t have your world government with America in the way.... So you take it out from the inside, you collapse it

You could be right, but if we live in fear of that happening, how will we ever see change? How can we take back the government if we don't have a movement to unite Americans toward that goal?

posted on Feb, 16 2010 @ 01:38 PM
link   
reply to post by djvexd

I am surprised that the reporter included this little line: They have a larger goal — a political reordering that would drastically shrink the federal government and sweep away not just Mr. Obama, but much of the Republican establishment, starting with Senator John McCain.

That caught my eye, too. And I completely agree with the remainder of your commentary. It turns out George Washington was right all along in his protest of a two-party system. It has ruined this country.

posted on Feb, 16 2010 @ 01:51 PM
link   
reply to post by NightGypsy

I dont live in fear, but to be honest with you, the nation is to polarized, I love the Constition but it left in weakness, and those weakness have been exploited for the past 100 years.... We are the Last empire to stand in the way of a global goverance... We did not want the League of Nations look what happen it was weak and failed to prevent WWII. The UN is stronger but is seen as An American Puppet. The 3rd World Goverment will be stronger and all nations will kneel before it.

I do not like the idea but I feel it is coming.

posted on Feb, 16 2010 @ 02:00 PM
link   
The riight wing has infiltrated and taken over the tea party movement. Originally a libertarian movement but whith the veil of light starting to lift, the repubs have decided to capitalize on the conspiracy slant. And capitalization is what they do best. True patriots and liberatarians need to start rebellion within the rebellion to oust the repubs. NO MORE CAREER POLITICIANS should be the mantra. And certainly no idealogically reversed white heads that claim to be with the movement.

While not a white head. Palin is certainly Not, what the tea party needs. I like how beck has learned to give a little truth so as to spark the dumbed down masses to join his ship of cointelpro fools. Can you say mockingbird boys and girls? bet ya can.

[edit on 16-2-2010 by Barkster]

posted on Feb, 16 2010 @ 02:06 PM
link   
If they sic the tea party aka Palin on such theories as the US government being controlled by 'shadowy international network of wealthy elites' , it is the death knell of any credence being given to it . It will go from conspiracy theory to the realms of the preposterous and the ludicrous. Maybe that's why they are doing it , why it got in the new york times.

[edit on 16-2-2010 by Gun Totin Gerbil]

posted on Feb, 16 2010 @ 02:22 PM
link   
reply to post by Barkster

The riight wing has infiltrated and taken over the tea party movement.

I know that's what has been reported in the media recently, particularly the Sarah Palin thing. However, this article doesn't promote any politician as being the leader of the Tea Party movement. In fact, it mentions that these groups have identified and resisted efforts by the Republican Party to do this. This is another interesting thing about the article.

Maybe the Republicans have NOT taken over just yet. Maybe people are not gonna want to be LED by any politicians this time. However, if they do, I will become concerned if they choose anyone other than Ron Paul since his work has been in line with what the Tea Party movement is about.

posted on Feb, 16 2010 @ 02:39 PM
link   
A rebellion on the right?

Not much of a rebellion if they are just going to vote for the same Republicans. Since, the only difference between the two major parties is whom benefits from the unlimited spending. Both parties are more than happy to take away our rights despite what you hear from the talking heads.

posted on Feb, 16 2010 @ 03:01 PM
link   
I'm not sure if this is a good thing.

Now that the powerful have successfully marketed the "rebellion" (Glen/Rush/Bill) to the same masses that were marketed "change" only last year; We are looking at a prize boxing scenario where the promoter owns both the fighters.

Once they manage to scrape away the final bits of the true tea party movement (Ron Paul/Alex/Truthers), they will finally be able to market this clash as the main event to the public.

If only we can get lucky with history once again.

The last time America revolted, the British were overseas busy with multiple wars and ultimately gave up. (Well, according to lore at least). What are the chances of that kind of thing happening again?

Here's to wishing.

top topics

join