It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Peter Max's 36 Vintage Corvettes

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 16 2010 @ 07:50 AM
link   
I found this story weird & sad...

In 1989, VH1 gave away 36 vintage Corvettes in a contest. The winner sold those cars to artist Peter Max, who let them rot in a Brooklyn parking garage for twenty years. The cars recently disappeared. This is their story.

Enter Peter Max. Max, a Manhattan-dwelling American graphic artist responsible for a large part of the 1960s pyschedelic design movement, was, and is not, a car guy. He gained fame for his "Cosmic '60s" style and use of vibrant color, and while he has painted everything from a Boeing 777 to Dale Earnhardt's NASCAR Monte Carlo, he isn't the type of celebrity to have a Lenoesque garage full of automotive weirdness. Nevertheless, he bought the cars from Amadeo. As he tells it, he found out about the collection through a friend, fell asleep shortly after, and had a dream that included cheerleaders, the 36 'vettes, and a stadium full of people yelling "They're Peter Max's cars!"

It would not be an exaggeration to say that Max's cars were left to rot, nor that he essentially abandoned them. They remained largely hidden until May of 2005, when a New York magazine writer discovered them and wrote a column. A member of the enthusiast forum Digital Corvettes read the column, got interested, and went to take a look. When he posted pictures, the Internet went nuts.

Click This Link For The Story And Cool Pics!

posted on Feb, 16 2010 @ 08:17 AM
link   
What a waste of good American Muscle!
I would take just one and keep it for ever...

I think I spotted a '53 too! ARGH...all the dust!

posted on Feb, 23 2010 @ 06:58 PM
link   
I remember this contest and the fact that the winner couldn't afford the taxes on the cars and had to sell them. As an owner of a mid-year Sting Ray I am very saddened by their condition as I know how much work has to go into one of these cars, let alone 36.

posted on Mar, 25 2010 @ 05:49 AM
link   
I've never heard of this story but seeing that one picture with the glass saying "nobody loves these vettes" makes me really sad. Between me and my dad we have 4 and I've always loved corvettes. This collection shouldn't be hidden away from public... at the very least they should be on display and CLEAN. Taking the time to maintain a running condition for one car takes a lot of time and patience but at the very least they could be on display in a non-running condition.

top topics

join