It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mars in 3D...amazing!!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 16 2010 @ 05:59 AM
link   
Did you save those glasses when you visited Avatar?? Now you can put them to good use.....

1194 high resolution 3D images of Mars....

HiRISE Mars 3D

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/files/9b4fce7f09cecfe0.jpg[/atsimg]

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/files/3d95fc5f789051c5.jpg[/atsimg]

I have been looking at these picture through my son's 3D glasses, that he got with his Lego Magazine subscription. And i must say it's pretty weird...

Peace

edit: it seems those Avatar glasses don't work, sorry folks!! Just plain old 80's style 3D glasses..

[edit on 16-2-2010 by operation mindcrime]

posted on Feb, 16 2010 @ 06:18 AM
link   
Will my weekend be filled with much entertainment!!!

Guess I'd best download them all and put them on DVD. Wonder what this will look like on a 46" widescreen...

Peace

posted on Feb, 16 2010 @ 06:23 AM
link   
This one "comes out" of my monitor

posted on Feb, 16 2010 @ 06:26 AM
link   
funnily enough i did keep my avatar glasses and they didnt work.
Great pic though

posted on Feb, 16 2010 @ 06:32 AM
link   
reply to post by davodinkum

I didn't realize that those Avatar 3D glasses might not work. As i said i am using some cheap cardboard 3D glasses that came with a magazine. You know the ones with one glass red and the other green...

I never really saw those Avatar glasses but i guess they work differently.

Peace

posted on Feb, 16 2010 @ 06:34 AM
link   
reply to post by cushycrux

Cool, huh?

If you give your eyes some time to adapt those mountains really come out of your monitor. It gives a whole new perspective on those HiRISE images...

Peace

posted on Feb, 16 2010 @ 06:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by operation mindcrime
reply to post by davodinkum

I didn't realize that those Avatar 3D glasses might not work. As i said i am using some cheap cardboard 3D glasses that came with a magazine. You know the ones with one glass red and the other green...

I never really saw those Avatar glasses but i guess they work differently.

Peace

Wrong, sorry. There are red/green 3D pictures, but this is Cyan/Red
You need this colors:

About the Technique:
en.wikipedia.org...

You can make them by your self....very funny.

posted on Feb, 16 2010 @ 06:38 AM
link   
reply to post by operation mindcrime

Thank you so much for posting this! These pictures are fantastic.

Also, I would like to add that the plastic glasses they pass out at the theater do not work with these pictures but if you have the old paper style with the blue and red lenses they work great. Thanks again

posted on Feb, 16 2010 @ 07:56 AM
link   
reply to post by silverking

Yeah, aren't they?

How about a few video's of the sun in 3D?

Here you go....

NASA - STEREO Mission

Also very cool.

Peace

posted on Feb, 16 2010 @ 08:45 AM
link   
Well this is a no-brainer but i thought i would add it anyway...

enjoy..

Peace

posted on Feb, 16 2010 @ 11:48 AM
link   
They should hook us up with those cross-eye 3d images that you can view without the aid of glasses. That would be sweeeeeet.

posted on Feb, 16 2010 @ 02:36 PM
link   
reply to post by The_Modulus

Ohhh...you mean an autostereoscopic display, where the image is doubled up so each eye perceives a slightly different one, and you get an illusion of depth perception...............

Source.

Peace

posted on Feb, 16 2010 @ 03:28 PM
link   
Most of these are amazing when you download the higher res PNG and zoom in and around. Even with crappy glasses from my Coralline blu ray. However some of them look to be inverted in my opinion. If you download the PNG and then open with Windows Photo Gallery or Picture Viewer, then hit one of the rotate arrows twice it flips up and down and now anything like a crater looks like a mountain and vice versa. And on this one:

mountain or crater?

It doesn't look right the way they have it, it looks like it should be crater not a mountain when you flip it. Anyone agree?

I am using red/green instead of red/blue maybe that's why?

[edit on 16-2-2010 by salsaking]

posted on Feb, 16 2010 @ 07:14 PM
link   
The 3D in Avatar and the 3D above work in different ways. Above uses the red and green colours of the image, aswell as the glasses to make the 3D. Where as in the film it is multiple images from different angles and a very bright light that make the 3D. The glasses from the Avatar film allow you to see the light without it causing a blur.

Feel free to edit that as i'm not a 3D expert, but remember reading about this somewhere...

posted on Feb, 16 2010 @ 08:44 PM
link   
One of my National Geo magazines from around the late 90's early 2000 has 3d images of mars from the ground, those are also amazing images, I am not sure if I would get into problems if I scanned them and posted them though?

I took my Family to Jodrel Bank last year, we watched a movie while we where there about the moon which was in 3d, my Daughter who was 6 then, kept jumping up trying to grab the Planets as they flew around the theater, that was an amazing experience I promise you, everything was right in front of your face, one of only a few times I have enjoyed 3d without the headache.

Does anyone know if I could scan them and post them? or would it create a problem?

posted on Feb, 17 2010 @ 12:02 AM
link   
I'm really enjoying these images. I came across one of the face on mars that I thought some of you would like to see if you haven't already. The 3D view really gives you an idea of what you are actually looking at. It's a huge difference compared to the 1976 image or even the 2001.

source: nasa images

posted on Feb, 17 2010 @ 09:53 AM
link   
Actually there's something coming out into Imax cinema's if anyone lives close to 1. Something along the lines of Hubble 3D which looks rather amazing!

posted on Feb, 17 2010 @ 10:20 AM
link   
reply to post by Lee_K

Thanks for the reply Lee_K.

Yeah, i ran across that bit of info as well. Am i glad we have an IMAX theater in the neighborhood!!

Here's the first trailer that came out.

It's called: "IMAX Hubble 3D" and is the story of the Hubble repair, and the visuals are stunning.

I believe the repair mission they are talking about is STS125.

Peace

PS: It will be in cinema's across America somewhere in March 2010 so i guess we in Europe will have to wait a little longer....

[edit on 17-2-2010 by operation mindcrime]

top topics

join