It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Animals and Changing Behaviour

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 16 2010 @ 04:32 AM
link   
Recently, I’m sure most of you have heard about the aggressiveness of other species. Why has this been occurring only in the past few years? Have they become influenced by the behaviour of humans? Or are they just adapting?

This article: Attack of the Killer Dolphin was very recent. It also mentions other animals which have recently have showed aggressive behaviour to other species such as; seagulls attacking penguins for fish, a buffalo attacking lions.

Cannbials resort to this due to either being evolved and adapted to, in desperate moments or even for even, er, passionate times in their life.
Now bonobos have found to be cannibals (sighted in a zoo), from this Article .

"We've never seen anything like this," says Vanessa Woods at Duke University in Durham, North Carolina, who studies semi-captive bonobos at a reserve. "The last time I saw an infant die, the mother held onto it for days and the keepers had trouble taking the body away."

To a mother eating her daughter:

They also spent 7½ hours eating the body - longer than they take over a similar-sized monkey. Some even played with it. "If they just think of it as another piece of meat, why do they behave differently with it?" he asks

Apparently, the reason for this is that they haven’t been eating enough proteins.
Dian Fossey – 1970s, found 2 gorilla’s in the faeces of a mother gorilla and her daughter.

Obviously, we all know primitive humans used to eat one another. This still does occur today in tribes e.g. in Papua New Guinea
Chimpanzees are the ones who eat their own most often – normally it’s the males who eat a child from the same group. They’ll even do it to us.

Other Animals Resorting to Cannibalism:
- Rodents. This is a video of er rats eating another one at 0.39s. Video Link

- Sand tiger sharks. You could say this is the survival of the fittest being demonstrated here. In the womb, they develop fangs and then eat the other sibling.

- Australian redback spider (during copulation)

- Female Mantis – she eats her mate after he jumps on her back to mate.

- Rattlesnakes eat their newborn for strength after birth.

For more information on cannibalism and different types of animals which carry this out, click here

Why are bonobos, orang-utans and gorilla’s following after the chimpanzee’s footsteps just recently? Any views on what you think that may be causing this to occur? And could we expect eventually this animal’s aggressive behaviour to be used upon us?

[edit on 16/2/2010 by BlackPoison94]

posted on Feb, 16 2010 @ 06:15 AM
link   
Great find!

Coincidentally, I just read a long (and I do mean long) list of strange animal behaviors around the world.

Thing like the ones you mention are apparently happening all over the place, especially the cannibalism.

Cows eating chickens, and such. It went on and on. What you are noticing seems to be a growing strangeness in the world

posted on Feb, 16 2010 @ 06:15 AM
link   
Animals are HIGHLY intuitive and hear/sense our thoughts, emotions, etc.

They, much like myself, are probably fed up with where we are taking the planet.

They, much like myself, are probably longing for the change we can all sense.

They cannot communicate with us because most people are shut out to that possibility. They can only 'act out' through aggression and other odd behaviours to try and communicate their dis-ease towards our actions.

Also, many of the examples you listed, such as the red back spider and the praying mantis, have always exhibited this type of behaviour.

Perhaps our collective negativity (thanks MSM) really IS rubbing off on them tho. We are all a mirror for eachother, maybe animals are increasingly mirroring our behaviour.

posted on Feb, 16 2010 @ 07:20 AM
link   
I'm not sure that any of these behaviors actually fall outside of the bounds of what is "normal". Any abnormal actions I suspect are due to pollutants of some type - chemical, electro-magnetic, heavy metals.
We have no idea of what our industrial by-products do to the earth, it's creatures and even ourselves. Science needs to study itself harder before it tries to invent it's way out of every problem we encounter.

posted on Feb, 16 2010 @ 08:22 AM
link   
Calf eats chicken.
www.reuters.com...

"We think lack of vital minerals in the body is causing this behavior. We have taken a look and have asked doctors to look into the case immediately," Mihir Satpathy, a district veterinary officer, said by phone.

Science: Meat-Eating Cow
www.time.com...

Check out the date on this article. Monday, Jul. 06, 1931

Dairymen on the Didsbury Jersey farms at Didsbury, Alberta, last week argued that it was a meat diet which caused one of their cows, Waikiki Xenia's Fanny, to produce almost pure cream.

If you have ever watched any of the early 70’s to the early 80’s horror/scifi movies you will know they produced a great deal of the “animals acting strangely” movies. Generally this came about because of some sort of change that occurred due to chemicals or environment around them.

I suspect this might be the case. As with the article about the calf eating the chicken I think the calf might be suffering some sort of disease/disorder or it’s body is demanding something. Much like when we get cravings.

It is always interesting though to hear of stories like that. After all fact is often times stranger than fiction.

Raist

posted on Feb, 16 2010 @ 02:50 PM
link   
It's just occurred so recently in certain animals. I was wondering what could have caused the change in behaviour.

Yes, it probably is something about waste chemicals entering the food chains. Again, we just see another encounter how the evolution of mankind has impacted the planet another abominable way.

posted on Feb, 18 2010 @ 02:53 PM
link   
I just wanted to say that you should remove the praying mantis and red back pictures as cannibalism is not strange behavior for either of them. In fact it is common for most species of spider to eat their young or in some cases their young eat them. Almost all spiders are cannibalistic save for a few species which are still cannibalistic but will live in groups from the same egg sac and not eat each other.

Praying mantis females will almost always eat the male during mating. In fact, sometimes the female will grab the male's head during mating and the male will continue to mate headless. The male's survival rate after mating is very low.

Dolphins are not just recently guilty of attacking humans. In fact, it is pretty common to hear about a dolphin attacking their trainer. There are several cases of attacks at sea as well. Dolphin attacks are not reported as often as shark attacks because of their supposed cute and cuddly nature.

Dolphin attacks are difficult to quantify for this reason. Here are several cases.

Dolphin attacks:

Link to PDF
Link to Article
Link to Another Article
Dolphin Warning Article
Dolphin Sexual Assault 1
Dolphin Sexual Assault 2
General Dolphin attacks 1

Many other animals in every family have been guilty of cannibalism....

I don't think this thread has much of a leg to stand on really...

new topics

top topics

join