It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

'Bubbles' of Broken Symmetry in Quark Soup at RHIC

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 15 2010 @ 08:30 PM
link   

Scientists at the Relativistic Heavy Ion Collider (RHIC), a 2.4-mile-circumference particle accelerator at the U.S. DOE's Brookhaven National Laboratory, report the first hints of profound symmetry transformations in the hot soup of quarks, antiquarks, and gluons produced in RHIC's most energetic collisions. In particular, the new results, reported in the journal Physical Review Letters, suggest that "bubbles" formed within this hot soup may internally disobey the so-called "mirror symmetry" that normally characterizes the interactions of quarks and gluons.

"RHIC's collisions of heavy nuclei at nearly light speed are designed to re-create, on a tiny scale, the conditions of the early universe. These new results thus suggest that RHIC may have a unique opportunity to test in the laboratory some crucial features of symmetry-altering bubbles speculated to have played important roles in the evolution of the infant universe," said Steven Vigdor, Brookhaven's Associate Laboratory Director for Nuclear and Particle Physics, who oversees research at RHIC.

Quark-Gluon plasma science is the next frontier for big bang study. Here is the video from the link

posted on Feb, 15 2010 @ 08:37 PM
link   
we will never be able to "recreate what it was like in the seconds after the big bang" because we are observing it.

i believe in order for this universe to have formed there had to be no observer. an observer collapses the wave function of the quantum world and changes how particles behave....thus no "re-creation".

posted on Feb, 15 2010 @ 09:02 PM
link   
If everything was in superposition at the beginning and there has to be an observer to collapse the wave function then how did the original observer arise?

Thats the problem most people have when trying to interperate the "observer effect". The thing is that "observer" doesn't necessarily mean a person or his measuring equipment.

Interactions between individual particles effects a change in a physical system making the individual particle in this instance the observer. It is not some magical effect where by a consciousness must be presten to make reality solid.

I call it the "What the Bleep Effect". It is when people watch that garbage then think they have an understanding of physics. From a physics stand point there is little to no accurate information given by those charlatains. If you are interested in real physics I suggest the lecture series on youtube by Leonard Susskind.

If you watch take notes and study what he says you can get up to about a first or second year college student understanding of physics. I also recommend getting the basics of trig, calc, and algebra before attempting to understand real physics. . .

Not trying to harsh your buzz. People just like to use the "observer Effect" haphazardly.

[edit on 15-2-2010 by constantwonder]

posted on Feb, 15 2010 @ 10:39 PM
link   
I just call the soup of nature the ether.
Sort of leaving off at the Tesla point of discovery.
I just had an epiphany about particles and the working voltage
and electricity used by Tesla.
At millions of volts people still wonder what particle and or waves
emanated from the one terminal 'X-Ray' tube or hemisphere terminal.
Since the high voltage produced pressure waves one might find
uncharged particles being pushed into a beam.
Otherwise if charged particles exist their flow might be determined
by mass and charge size.

posted on Feb, 16 2010 @ 05:23 AM
link   
reply to post by constantwonder

You might find this news interesting...

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - Scientists have created the hottest temperature ever in the lab -- 4 trillion degrees Celsius -- hot enough to break matter down into the kind of soup that existed microseconds after the birth of the universe. They used a giant atom smasher at the U.S. Department of Energy's Brookhaven National Laboratory in New York to knock gold ions together to make the ultra-hot explosions -- which lasted only for milliseconds.
Hottest Temperature Ever Heads Science to Big Bang

Physicists said Monday that they had whacked a tiny region of space with enough energy to briefly distort the laws of physics, providing the first laboratory demonstration of the kind of process that scientists suspect has shaped cosmic history.
In Brookhaven Collider, Scientists Briefly Break a Law of Nature

posted on Feb, 16 2010 @ 11:10 AM
link   
Ahhhh, this is my home turf.

The RHIC is down the street from me, figuratively speaking.

Brookhaven has been scrambling, along with numerous other less-than-celebrity physics research facilities that are out to prove that CERN doesn't have ALL the answers by virtue of gigantic size.

Thanks for the link!

posted on Feb, 16 2010 @ 03:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by constantwonder
If everything was in superposition at the beginning and there has to be an observer to collapse the wave function then how did the original observer arise?

Thats the problem most people have when trying to interperate the "observer effect". The thing is that "observer" doesn't necessarily mean a person or his measuring equipment.

Interactions between individual particles effects a change in a physical system making the individual particle in this instance the observer. It is not some magical effect where by a consciousness must be presten to make reality solid.

I call it the "What the Bleep Effect". It is when people watch that garbage then think they have an understanding of physics. From a physics stand point there is little to no accurate information given by those charlatains. If you are interested in real physics I suggest the lecture series on youtube by Leonard Susskind.

If you watch take notes and study what he says you can get up to about a first or second year college student understanding of physics. I also recommend getting the basics of trig, calc, and algebra before attempting to understand real physics. . .

Not trying to harsh your buzz. People just like to use the "observer Effect" haphazardly.

I have to disagree to one point here. There was one accurate section to that movie. It is when they described neural wiring and functions of the pineal gland. I think they did a pretty good job on that part. The rest of it is basically 99% crap.

posted on Feb, 16 2010 @ 07:19 PM
link   
Does anyone know what this basically means? Is pointing to the universe is symmetrical or is it pointing to the oberser theory?

top topics

join