It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Every Satellite Tracked In Realtime Via Google Earth

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 15 2010 @ 07:56 PM
link   

Every Satellite Tracked In Realtime Via Google Earth

science.slashdot.org

What many people don't know is that USSTRATCOM tracks and publishes a list of over 13,000 objects that they currently monitor, including active/retired satellites and debris. This data is meaningless to most people, but thanks to Analytical Graphics, it has now been made accessible free of charge to anyone with a copy of Google Earth. By grabbing the KMZ, you can not only view all objects tracked in real-time, but you can also click on them to get more information on the specific satellite...
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
adn.agi.com

posted on Feb, 15 2010 @ 07:56 PM
link   

USSTRATCOM has been tracking space objects since 1957 when the Soviets opened the space age with the launch of Sputnik I. Since then, they have recorded more than 26,000 space objects orbiting Earth. There are currently more than 12,000 man-made orbiting objects, the rest have re-entered Earth's turbulent atmosphere and disintegrated, or survived re-entry and impacted the Earth. The space objects now orbiting Earth range from satellites weighing several tons to pieces of spent rocket bodies weighing under 10 pounds. About 3,000 space objects are operational satellites, the rest are space debris, retired satellites and rocket bodies left over from launches.
adn.agi.com...

Preview the data using the Google Earth browser plugin: earth.google.com

science.slashdot.org
(visit the link for the full news article)

Edit: The title of this article is misleading since the AGI database does not include most military or spy satellites. Some out-of-date TLEs for spy and military satellites (MILSTAR, KH-X, LACROSSE, ...) can be downloaded from seds.lpl.arizona.edu... and loaded into a program such as JSatTrak for visualization.

[edit on 15-2-2010 by tmk81]

posted on Feb, 15 2010 @ 08:06 PM
link   
Thanks for sharing the links, I'm looking foward to checking it out.
I'll have to try track some objects, hopefully this Might help me define between "sattelite's/junk" and UFOs?

posted on Feb, 15 2010 @ 08:10 PM
link   
Wow!!!! That rock's, thnx OP, what a cool look....

posted on Feb, 15 2010 @ 08:41 PM
link   
Cool thread...though I would be very interested in information regarding the purpose of each satellite associated with its' orbit...

posted on Feb, 15 2010 @ 09:25 PM
link   
very cool thread, i installed it and was blew away.

one thing i did notice, when you zoom right out, theirs a deffinite ring of sattalites that go round the earth at quite a distance! it looks so out of place, very deliberate ...

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/files/edd980e1a56ca915.gif[/atsimg]

[edit on 15-2-2010 by boaby_phet]

posted on Feb, 15 2010 @ 09:33 PM
link   
Definitely a cool thread.
Though I'M wondering about the guy from the highest levels of TPTB who looks over these technician's shoulders and makes sure that nothing saucer shaped gets listed as a satellite on accident and put on display for the public sector

posted on Feb, 15 2010 @ 11:29 PM
link   
Wow it look like hell out there a billion fly's just flying around out there and no fender benders that's quite a show.

posted on Mar, 25 2010 @ 12:00 PM
link   
reply to post by tmk81

An up-to-date source of TLEs for classified spacecraft: www.io.com...

new topics

top topics

join