It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Man Falls into Mt. St. Helen!

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 15 2010 @ 06:37 PM
link   
Breaking news that a man has fallen into Mt. St. Helens in WA State. I haven't been able to find a link yet but if anyone has any info please share!

posted on Feb, 15 2010 @ 06:38 PM
link   
Here's a link:
www.kptv.com...

posted on Feb, 15 2010 @ 06:41 PM
link   

posted on Feb, 15 2010 @ 06:41 PM
link   

Having climbed St. Helen's in the Spring time, I can attest (have the pics) to just how easy it is to get too close to the edge, without realizing it. Especially while the mtn. has a lot of snow. Hope this guy gets out ok.

*Stay away from the rim of the volcano, people!

[edit on 15-2-2010 by LadySkadi]

posted on Feb, 15 2010 @ 06:59 PM
link   
What a dummy! Curiousity sure can kill a lot more than cats.

Though the story is kind of sketchy it looks like the man is going to survive his brush with the volcano.

It will make for a cute story to tell his grand kids, who will probably still be paying off the emergency services helicopter rescue when he tells it to them!

posted on Feb, 15 2010 @ 07:46 PM
link   

posted on Feb, 15 2010 @ 08:27 PM
link   

posted on Feb, 15 2010 @ 08:34 PM
link   
nvm - removed comments from news site - not relevant

posted on Feb, 15 2010 @ 08:39 PM
link   
reply to post by brizellious

Edited to add -since it's looking more serious, i've deleted my quoted joke reply - hope he's ok!

[edit on 15/2/2010 by bkaust]

posted on Feb, 15 2010 @ 08:43 PM
link   
I'm watching this on local news.

Latest news is that the rescue helicopters were turned away because the weather wasn't safe.

I believe they said a medic had been down to check up on him.

Don't think he's gonna make it, y'all.

link   
Update - Rescue Suspended

All jokes aside... it has now turned serious.
Weather conditions are a concern and they will not get him out tonight.
Condition still unknown.

Search Suspended - Video included

ETA:

Rescue helicopters turned away from Mount St. Helens Monday night after a climber fell into the crater when a south rim cornice gave way, but the search would continue at daybreak, authorities said.

link   
LadySkadi - yes, I would say those comments are rather, er, interesting. The bulldozing comment was pretty unbelievable!

Last I heard he had fallen at least 500 feet and due to snow and low clouds there was no way pilots could safely see where to land or even hover. It was about an hour before nightfall so the assumption was the man wouldn't be rescued until tomorrow morning at the earliest.

Every time I try to get updated info via google my computer times out. If anyone has an updated news link I would appreciate it if you would post it. I was stunned to hear that this had happened and even more stunned when I heard a deputy sheriff say that this happens every few years!

Jemison

posted on Feb, 15 2010 @ 09:06 PM
link   
Been up that way it is dangerous if you don't be really careful and watch your steps. you want something really cool though try the lava tubes very interresting.

posted on Feb, 15 2010 @ 09:37 PM
link   
let us see, I do hope things work out for good or worse.
My thoughts go out to the family.. Good luck,
pray the weather subsides so the rescue may resume

posted on Feb, 15 2010 @ 10:35 PM
link   
I just read the article on CNN about this guy. It amazes me they permit people to hike up to volcanos so close...unless this guy was a scientist. I can't create a thread on this, Bcuz I'm a newB, but maybe here and now is a good place to ask the question. Could a terrorist trigger a volcanic eruption or earth quake with the use of explosives? I've always wondered say if someone ran up with a bundle of TNT strapped to a rock, lit a waterproof wick and dropped it down O'Faithful, if it might trigger the super volcano. Or if someone set a series of explosions off in the San Andreas fault line, if that would trigger the big one. Or some one setting off or throwing explosives inside a volcano could trigger an activation. Anyone know if it's a real possiblity? T'would be scary seeing as how we don't seem to guard these soft spot.

posted on Feb, 15 2010 @ 10:41 PM
link   
I feel for the guy...I hope he can make it through the night...

What a tragic event...

posted on Feb, 16 2010 @ 01:56 AM
link   
How sad.
I'm planning to go there in the next few months too. I better be careful! It's only about 140 miles from where I live.

posted on Feb, 16 2010 @ 07:49 AM
link   
Forest, interesting points to consider about terrorists triggering volcanoes. I have no idea if it's doable or not - probably scientists aren't sure either but it's very creepy to think about. IF it was something that could be done, would Mt. St. Helens be the place to set one off? Aren't there much larger volcanoes that they would target first?

If anyone has an updated link on this please post. Thanks!

posted on Feb, 16 2010 @ 10:51 AM
link   
reply to post by Jemison

St. Helen's probably isn't any danger, anymore. Remember, that it doesn't have anything to "blow" it blew it's top back in '80. So, even though it is active, what's to explode? The top is gone. The danger in the Cascades is probably Rainier... and no, I don't think one can start earthquakes or initiate a volcanic eruption with explosives.

Ed: Update

[edit on 16-2-2010 by LadySkadi]

posted on Feb, 16 2010 @ 06:53 PM
link   
Oh no... so sad

Hiker update

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join