It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

4.000.000.000. degrees recorded using an atom smasher.

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 15 2010 @ 05:38 PM
link   

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - Scientists have created the hottest temperature ever in the lab -- 4 trillion degrees Celsius -- hot enough to break matter down into the kind of soup that existed microseconds after the birth of the universe.

Amazing don't you think.

Visit the link for full article.

My apologies if it is already posted.

Hot !!

Mod Note: External Source Tags – Please Review This Link.

[edit on Tue Feb 16 2010 by Jbird]

posted on Feb, 15 2010 @ 05:56 PM
link   
That is freakin incredible

Star &&& Flag

posted on Feb, 15 2010 @ 06:01 PM
link   
Wow that is crazy! Does anyone know what the previous highest temperature reached was? S&F

posted on Feb, 15 2010 @ 06:08 PM
link   
This is really cool. Makes me perspire just thinking about it. No black holes either.

BTW, 4-trillion = 4.000.000.000.000

posted on Feb, 15 2010 @ 06:13 PM
link   

BTW, 4-trillion = 4.000.000.000.000

Absolutely incredible !

I should think the smasher gets vaporized. I guess it didn't.
Unbelievable to be even possible.

posted on Feb, 15 2010 @ 06:17 PM
link   
reply to post by Sinter Klaas

It would be the same as in the experimental fusion reactors, in that the plasma will be contained within an electromagnetic "bottle" and won't touchthe actual machine it is in.

4 Trillion degrees is bloody warm though!

posted on Feb, 15 2010 @ 06:57 PM
link   
4 Trillion degrees is bloody cool!

Now we have to fear, in addition to black hole, they're gonna create a bloody Big Bang

posted on Feb, 15 2010 @ 06:57 PM
link   

I should think the smasher gets vaporized. I guess it didn't.

Probably only a few atoms at that temp. for a split second which dissapate fairly quickly, therefore not high enough energies to vaporise anything macroscopic.

posted on Feb, 15 2010 @ 06:58 PM
link   
Vaguely, I wonder if any of this particular bit of science could be used for power. 4 trillion degrees C (7200000000032 F) worth of heat energy could be used in many ways, I'm sure. And by the sounds of it, on a much larger scale than current nuclear facilities.

I doubt it, since it only lasts a matter of a few seconds - and its probably not possible to control that either way - but its a thought worth tossing around. :3

[edit on 15-2-2010 by thebluevalentine]

posted on Feb, 15 2010 @ 06:59 PM
link   
Fascinating stuff!

Quarks spin in different directions and understanding how and why they do this can help scientists harness the power.

It may be possible to replicate a symmetrical spin in graphene, for example, said Kharzeev. Graphene is a so-called nanomaterial that scientists believe may replace silicon in super-fast and super-small devices.

Nanosciences will definitely be running the world in the coming decades!

[edit on 15-2-2010 by john124]

posted on Feb, 15 2010 @ 07:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by thebluevalentine
Vaguely, I wonder if any of this particular bit of science could be used for power. 4 trillion degrees C (7200000000032 F) worth of heat energy could be used in many ways, I'm sure. And by the sounds of it, on a much larger scale than current nuclear facilities.

See page 5:

www.fnal.gov...

The laboratory's monthly electric bill is about $1.5 million

These atom smashers are designed to use power (which they do in abundance), so I think generating power is far from their thoughts, though that pdf also describes how that lab is saving $20,000 a pop by cutting back on electricity use when the power company asks them to.

Interesting find! That's hotter than I can even imagine.

posted on Feb, 15 2010 @ 07:35 PM
link   
such useless information but, still i'm going to call this BS. how do you record a couple of atoms out of trillion of atoms and actually read its temperature. if by color than how do you know it's right since it the first time ever. how do you keep an eye on so many atoms or how do you read the temperature on it.

posted on Feb, 15 2010 @ 07:54 PM
link   
reply to post by DOADOA
Know some science before claiming it to be 'BS' and secondly no one could take you seriously with that grammar and punctuation.

posted on Feb, 15 2010 @ 08:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by DOADOA
such useless information but, still i'm going to call this BS. how do you record a couple of atoms out of trillion of atoms and actually read its temperature. if by color than how do you know it's right since it the first time ever. how do you keep an eye on so many atoms or how do you read the temperature on it.

Uhm. . . . you do it with billion dollar detectors my friend. Tokamac reactors have recorded temps in the billions of degrees so this really isnt that surprising.

Even though ATS is a Conspiracy site not everything here is "BS". This is no exception.

The work to achieve a quark-gluon plasma has been underway for a while. So expect to hear more about this.

A quark-gluon plasma (QGP) or quark soup is a phase of quantum chromodynamics (QCD) which exists at extremely high temperature and/or density. This phase consists of (almost) free quarks and gluons, which are the basic building blocks of matter. Experiments at CERN's Super Proton Synchrotron (SPS) first tried to create the QGP in the 1980s and 1990s: the results led CERN to announce indirect evidence for a "new state of matter" in 2000. Current experiments at Brookhaven National Laboratory's Relativistic Heavy Ion Collider (RHIC) are continuing this effort. Three new experiments running on CERN's Large Hadron Collider (LHC), ALICE, ATLAS and CMS, will continue studying properties of QGP.

"BS"

[edit on 15-2-2010 by constantwonder]

posted on Feb, 15 2010 @ 08:31 PM
link   

short video about the discovery at RHIC.

Enjoy!!

posted on Feb, 15 2010 @ 08:34 PM
link   
i don't believe in the Dig Bang theory, but congrats for making heat, hotter, i guess. i could use some right now with all this damn snow.

posted on Feb, 16 2010 @ 10:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by DOADOA

So... You're saying it's bad science but I'm betting that you're not a scientist. Why not try reading a little bit about it first before you call it "bunk"? Just a thought....

posted on Feb, 16 2010 @ 10:34 AM
link   

Hmmm...I wonder what they intend to use this for??? Can anyone say weapon??

posted on Feb, 16 2010 @ 10:41 AM
link   
What the F*#&?

Okay 4 trillion degrees, i got a question

What in the universe can withstand that sort of heat? Graphite?

posted on Feb, 16 2010 @ 10:47 AM
link   
So what would happen to somebodys finger if it just so happened to touch something 4 trillion degrees hot?

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join