It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Space rock contains organic molecular feast

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 15 2010 @ 04:49 PM
link   

Space rock contains organic molecular feast

news.bbc.co.uk

Scientists say they have confirmed that a meteorite that crashed into earth 40 years ago contains millions of different organic compounds.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Feb, 15 2010 @ 04:49 PM
link   
Does this prove that the seeds of life come from space?

Is the cosmos packed full of these meteors travelling in all direction and seeding random worlds on their journey?

And if so... it is possible that, not only will there be life on other worlds, it could be not that dissimilar to us...

Fascinating stuff

news.bbc.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Feb, 15 2010 @ 05:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by Muckster
And if so... it is possible that, not only will there be life on other worlds, it could be not that dissimilar to us...

Fascinating stuff

Very exciting indeed!!

Maybe there are more advance civilizations out there, just like us.

Well..without all of the war, genocide, and petty ideals.

In that case...I hope they are NOTHING like us.

posted on Feb, 15 2010 @ 05:17 PM
link   
Wouldnt a meteorite that has been on our planet for 40 years have ample time to become host to Earths microbial life? In other words, if it's been here for 40 years, isn't it likely contaminated from being handled and whatnot? Kinda like the mars rock thing?

Unless they had this thing in some oxygen deprived vacuum since its arrival 40 years ago, and was never touched by anything from Earth, Id say it was contaminated.

posted on Feb, 15 2010 @ 05:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by treemanx
Wouldnt a meteorite that has been on our planet for 40 years have ample time to become host to Earths microbial life? In other words, if it's been here for 40 years, isn't it likely contaminated from being handled and whatnot? Kinda like the mars rock thing?

Unless they had this thing in some oxygen deprived vacuum since its arrival 40 years ago, and was never touched by anything from Earth, Id say it was contaminated.

That's a damn good point Treemanx. I would have to agree.

Perhaps the inside of the rock is what had all this stuff in it?

~Keeper

posted on Feb, 15 2010 @ 05:29 PM
link   

Unless they had..... Id say it was contaminated.

Your opinion is nice. But you have zero credibility and even less proof, unlike that article and science that has been done on that little rock. I suggest you read deeper into the science about it. The is lots written, just google it.

[edit on 15-2-2010 by MrSmith]

posted on Feb, 15 2010 @ 05:30 PM
link   
Well the last time this claim was made the supposed bacteria could not be distinguished from just microscopic tunnels. Therefore there was no confirmation despite the initial claim.

But the analysis technique is still limited, as Dr Schmitt-Kopplin explained: "We have to crush a few milligrams from the core of the meteorite to enable the extractions with solvents and thus we only see the extractable fraction."

[edit on 15-2-2010 by drew hempel]

posted on Feb, 15 2010 @ 05:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by MrSmith

Unless they had..... Id say it was contaminated.

Your opinion is nice. But you have zero credibility and even less proof, unlike that article and science that has been done on that little rock. I suggest you read deeper into the science about it. The is lots written, just google it.

[edit on 15-2-2010 by MrSmith]

Since when do you have to have credibility to have an opinion? You have as much credibility as I or anyone else on this site, yet you still feel free to post your opinion! I suggest you take your condescending little attitude and shove it!

[edit on 15-2-2010 by treemanx]

join