It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Astronomy Picture of the Year (2009) - Norway

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 15 2010 @ 09:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by MOTT the HOOPLE
Here's a little pic to prove my point . With a blue sky on Mars the main component of Mars's atmosphere must be oxygen "it simply can't be anything else"?

www.rense.com...

OK, so the atmosphere may be blue -- but why can't the blue band in the OP's picture be "anything else".

Like I said, if you follow what you say is a band of atmosphere on the top left of Mars in the OP's image down around the the lower left hand part, then the band that you say is "atmosphere" becomes "solid planet". What happened to the atmosphere.

I think the blue band could be something else, such as glare. True, the atmosphere may be in fact contributing to the blue hue, but that blue band is too thick compared to the planet to be all atmosphere.

Even on Earth, the altitude of the atmosphere is not that high.

[edit on 2/15/2010 by Box of Rain]

posted on Feb, 15 2010 @ 09:45 PM
link   
What are those shiny 'lights' on the moon in the third picture? Is it just the surface twinkling? You can even see them in the shadowed dark part at the left.

[edit on 15-2-2010 by gazerstar]

posted on Feb, 16 2010 @ 01:05 AM
link   
reply to post by gazerstar

Those are caused by sharpening the digital images. All digital images are either sharpened inside the camera or afterward if using a raw format and doing the processing outside the camera. If you sharpen a bit to much you get the bright white pixels.

posted on Feb, 16 2010 @ 01:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by Blender

Originally posted by inlandempire88
Some of those pictures are so incredible that they don't even look real..

They do add ALL the color that you see in the pictures... so in a way, they are all fake

Not necessarily. Some of those could have been taken by a home telescope, which would have been true colors.

Telescopes in space use three different shades of gray and substitute color in (Red, Blue, Green) and those three separate colors are in turn compiled, thus creating a false-colored image. Though, the planet pictures (Mars and Jupiter) look as if they are true color pictures. Telescopes in space tend to have more clarity, and sharpness of colors (due to the faking of them).

Not to mention the ones taken on the surface of our planet aren't all taken by telescopes thus, they don't have added color...

But I do have to say, I do like the last aura picture... Purrrrtyfull.

[edit on 2/16/2010 by FadeToBlack]

posted on Feb, 16 2010 @ 01:54 AM
link   
Amazing photos thank u

posted on Feb, 16 2010 @ 02:29 AM
link   
These are actually beautiful. It's amazing how we can capture the hidden mysteries out there and just show part of its beauty on a flimsy bit of paper.

posted on Feb, 16 2010 @ 02:51 AM
link   
reply to post by MOTT the HOOPLE

You should have listened more in class then because oxygen isn't the main component of earths atmosphere its nitrogen at 78% .

The sky appears blue to us on a clear day, because the atoms of nitrogen and oxygen in the atmosphere separate the suns white light into its many colors, and scatter them throughout the atmosphere.

The wavelength of the blue light scatters better than the rest, predominates over the other colors in the light spectrum, and makes the sky appear blue to us.

The scientific name for this phenomenon is the Tyndall effect, more commonly known as Rayleigh scattering.

posted on Feb, 16 2010 @ 02:55 AM
link   
very nice pics. I totally agree with the jury's choice for number 1. Definitely a great picture !

posted on Feb, 16 2010 @ 02:57 AM
link   
Some great pictures on astronomy!

Maybe we should get invest in some better cameras though!

[edit on 16-2-2010 by Wolf ]

posted on Feb, 16 2010 @ 03:02 AM
link   
Amazing photos. The first one is so mystical.

posted on Feb, 16 2010 @ 04:48 AM
link   
I think I found a new screen saver.

posted on Feb, 16 2010 @ 05:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by wmd_2008
reply to post by MOTT the HOOPLE

You should have listened more in class then because oxygen isn't the main component of earths atmosphere its nitrogen at 78% .

The sky appears blue to us on a clear day, because the atoms of nitrogen and oxygen in the atmosphere separate the suns white light into its many colors, and scatter them throughout the atmosphere.

The wavelength of the blue light scatters better than the rest, predominates over the other colors in the light spectrum, and makes the sky appear blue to us.

The scientific name for this phenomenon is the Tyndall effect, more commonly known as Rayleigh scattering.

well said and nicely explained

just would like to add that Mars' main athmospheric component is Carbon Dioxide at 95% according to WikiAnswers.

the pictures provided above are ashtonoshing indeed and i found a new screensaver as well

thanx for providing these photos OP!

[edit on 16-2-2010 by kn0wh0w]

posted on Feb, 16 2010 @ 06:00 AM
link   
Here is the article I got the pictures from. It is in Nowegian, but you can see what kind of telescopes and cameras have been used in the different pictures.

My favorite is the Bubble nebula.

But I also love aurora photos, here are some more taken from Norway (These were not part of the competition):

[edit on 16-2-2010 by Anom3]

posted on Feb, 16 2010 @ 06:06 AM
link   
The Norway spiral should be the winner here.

posted on Feb, 16 2010 @ 07:31 AM
link   
Thanks for posting this, they are amazing. The wonders of the universe are breathtaking.

Peace

posted on Feb, 16 2010 @ 09:25 AM
link   
reply to post by Anom3

Nice pics but I think I've seen some of them before (that Mars one looks like a Hubble?) and a quick Google check only found this thread on ATS.

Here are some more pics if people are interested.

top 10 2009

Thanks

Edit: Found your source link

[edit on 16-2-2010 by Helmkat]

posted on Feb, 23 2010 @ 08:22 AM
link   
those are some cool pics man!
but i've been spoiled by this site:
www.phys.ncku.edu.tw...

A new photo every day, stunning almost everytime!

posted on Feb, 24 2010 @ 06:17 PM
link   
this are some amazing pictures

top topics

<< 1   >>

join