It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Does your College use ID cards?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 15 2010 @ 12:19 PM
link   
Hey ATS, i was curious to know if anyone elses College uses ID cards? Evertime we enter we need to scan in and everytime we leave, im not sure what the actual reason is for these cards but if we dont have them on us we cant enter, and we have to have them showing at all times.

s421.photobucket.com...

Pic

posted on Feb, 15 2010 @ 12:26 PM
link   
reply to post by Haydn_17

My experience is that yea, we have ID cards. We would have to swipe them to get into our dorm buildings, and the newer ones had the same thing on the individual doors instead of keys (although you still had a key you could use if you want)

We also had to use them for our meal plan.

Have them showing at all times is kinda ridiculous to me. I'm guessing they say its a safety issue? I know of highschools that have that policy, but colleges have people in and out of campus all the time, from visitors to people doing business.

posted on Feb, 15 2010 @ 12:30 PM
link   
reply to post by iamsupermanv2

Yeh, but common this is the age when we are looking after ourselves, the "There might be old men walking around" excuse is really old now, to be fair most people at College are grown up enough not to talk to the men promising sweeties in the car boot.

posted on Feb, 15 2010 @ 12:31 PM
link   

Yea, that's my point, its ridiculous.

But that's more than likely the excuse you will hear.

If you feel this is that big of a problem, it's a college campus, stage a protest. Those are all the rave.

posted on Feb, 15 2010 @ 12:41 PM
link   
reply to post by iamsupermanv2

The people at my College aren't really the protesting type, there was a few complaints on the college forum.

Some quotes here

"No other college or university as a matter of fact in the country subjects it's pupils to displaying student I.D. cards around their necks. It feel likes a dog tag, a leech. "

"students/lecturers have told me that it is compulsary what you MUST wear it around your neck"

There excuse for these cards is this:

"We have very little theft or aggro at the college, but this is one way to make sure that people on college grounds should be here, to protect you and your stuff, as well as ours.

If you are not so keen on the lanyard, You can just wear the ID card in the badge holder with a clip on your shirt, jacket or even belt, as long as it it clearly visible. "

What?^

posted on Feb, 15 2010 @ 12:49 PM
link   

Exactly as I thought, safety reasons.

Is it a public university? If so, if my thoughts on this are correct, any citizen can walk around campus on their own free will, unless because of a previous incident they are banned.

I am no longer a student at the college in my town, but some of my friends are and I still show up on campus for lunch or hanging out.

And it looks like you have some people for support. Make it the protesting type of people. Post up fliers, or quite simply, refuse to wear it. Have it on your person to present in case someone asks to see it, but just don't wear it.

It is unnecessary. Even colleges where crime is rampant they don't do this sort of thing because most of the crimes committed on campuses are by students of that school. (for the simple fact that they are the people there most often.)

posted on Feb, 15 2010 @ 12:56 PM
link   
My university has ID cards, you have to swipe them to get to any hallway where the classrooms are!

Sometimes they don't work which sucks so bad!

posted on Feb, 15 2010 @ 12:57 PM
link   
I believe that every Univ. in the US has some type of Student/Faculty ID card to be used for variety of purposes. In my experience, I had to use the card to enter my apartment, to enter the library after hours (library would allow students to remain inside, even after they locked the doors and were officially closed) and to enter the rec. center. Other than that, it wasn't needed.

posted on Feb, 15 2010 @ 12:58 PM
link   

My college has I.D cards but i just forget it everyday and they know just to let me in, screw the cards.

Sugeest to people to forget to bring them, the college will get the point.

This is also in England

[edit on 15-2-2010 by thecrow001]

posted on Feb, 15 2010 @ 01:00 PM
link   
reply to post by thecrow001

Weve got security at the door who refuses entrance to those with no cards

posted on Feb, 15 2010 @ 01:04 PM
link   

so do we, just talk to them and buy them a coffee.
They let me in all the time.

if that dont work just keep forgetting it and get a professor to say yeah he goes here

they will be bored of aruguing soon lo

posted on Feb, 15 2010 @ 01:10 PM
link   

That's just insane. You should be able to go to school without feeling like you are in a "secured" zone.

I don't mean that the buildings shouldn't be safe, but what really is the point of making you present a card or even swipe it every time you have to go into a building. That is overkill, I'd transfer or get the complaint system going.

posted on Feb, 15 2010 @ 01:16 PM
link   

Every college, university and even high school have ID cards, but what is going on in yours seems excessive.

I am amazed at the security efforts that have taken place since I first went to college. I recently returned to study again and was surprised to find that there was assigned seating in the lecture halls. When I first went to school no one cared if you actually showed up. It was you paying for your education and therefore your responsibility whether you learned the material or not.

we use cards mostly to show when turning in tests (to eliminate cheating). I am at a community college now....when I went to a state university, the card was mainly for meals, and library usage. Basically just identification when needed.

It makes me wonder if they are using your cards to take statistics as well.

[edit on 15-2-2010 by tk2dsky]

posted on Feb, 16 2010 @ 12:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by tk2dsky

we use cards mostly to show when turning in tests (to eliminate cheating). I am at a community college now....when I went to a state university, the card was mainly for meals, and library usage. Basically just identification when needed.

Yeah we those too but usually when taking a test they just ask for a photo ID and you can use whatever as long as it has a picture of you on it. BUt ours you can put money on them and but stuff from vending machines and I think the cafeteria (not sure about that). Haven't had to use it to get into anywhere yet I don't live on campus either so maybe that changes things.

posted on Feb, 16 2010 @ 01:19 AM
link   
yes , and the benefits are that you get a plate during lunch , you can id your self as a student inorder to recive the student discount on public transportation and get access to the school.

if i had my way students over here would have to wear school uniforms.

posted on Feb, 16 2010 @ 01:28 AM
link   

The college I went had us get I.D cards for mainly the Library and to make it more simple for us to prove that we're students at the college. There's a lot of crime activity in my area. Also you could get a monthly bus pass and place the sticker for it of your college I.D card. So, yeah it's like that.

posted on Feb, 16 2010 @ 01:37 AM
link   
If you are prone to loosing things, like I am, college IDs are your worse enemy. At the university I used to attend I had to swipe it at 4 separate doors/gates to get into my dorm. It also controlled our meal plan, so when I would loose my ID I literally could not eat. I had to resort to stealing a couple of times just so I would have enough energy to go to class. Oh well, the bastards deserved it.

posted on Feb, 16 2010 @ 01:56 AM
link   
We had ID cards where I went to university, but the only time I ever used it was to buy football tickets at the student rate. At another university I went to, they could be used to pay for food and as a phone card. Never had to use them to get in the door, though. That's odd.

top topics

join