It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Computer Keeps Restarting!!!!!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 29 2004 @ 01:44 PM
link   
My computer keeps restarting, it starts up normally then when it gets to the winXP screen with the scrolling bars at the bottom, it restarts. So I cannot even get on the computer at all. I have to use another comp. A friend suggested I have the new virus sasser or whatever. I did not get an error message saying it has to shut down pryor to this happening and when I boot up I still do not get any error messages of any kind. Anybody have a clue as to what I need to do? If it is a virus then how in the world do I clean it if I can't even get on the computer at all?

posted on May, 29 2004 @ 01:49 PM
link   
When it starts up IMMEDIANTLY get in the Command Prompt...then type "shutdown -a" without the quotes. Then run an AntiVirus like AVG or Avast.

Edit...wait, you cant do ANYTHING you say. Have you tried booting into safe mode?? Tap F8 after the BIOS loads...then select safemode. Then run your AV from tehre.

[Edited on 29-5-2004 by dreamlandmafia]

posted on May, 29 2004 @ 09:14 PM
link   
Thanks for the help DreamLandMafia, But I used a different technique.
For anyone that has the sasser virus under WinXP.
1. To get into windows. (if the computer keeps ctely restarting after going to the blue screen)......Insert the WinXP pro CD into the cd rom drive. Upon restarting windows will boot from the CD. If it doesn't you have to configure the advanced settings when it asks you to push the delete key.....Follow the onscreen instructions...eventually you have to press r to repair winXP not to install it. Upon pushing r it will take you to DOS prompt. Here you have the option to type "help," to show you the commands that you can use....Anyways while in dos type "chkdsk c: ." This will repair the windows. Once completed type "exit ," which will get you out of dos prompt and restart. skip the blue screen(system check) and windows logs on.
2. Follow . this link. Very important to disable System Restore. Also run the files posted by dreamlandmafia, shown before this post.
3. Transfer all important files to a removable medium ( ie a CD). This can be done using the latest version of NERO.
4. Format Computer.

posted on May, 29 2004 @ 09:18 PM
link   
Now THATS just a tad bit extreme...you dont have to format for a virus. You could easily just pop the hard drive in another computer as the slave...run a virus scan to get rid of it on that hard drive. Then put it right back into the original.

posted on May, 30 2004 @ 02:48 PM
link   
I would definitely try to avoid reformatting. I had a problem when I was a relative newbie with computers and some idiot told me to reformat. It took three days to get everything back !!!!

Edit- I just read my post and noticed that the word 'N e w b i e' was translated as new member. Is the censor software doing that ? And if so, why ?

[Edited on 30-5-2004 by Midnight Raven]

posted on May, 30 2004 @ 09:27 PM
link   
and be happy go and bbq

[Edited on 30-5-2004 by bigal66]

posted on May, 30 2004 @ 11:00 PM
link   
Other then a virus restarting your computer the most common cause of your computer restarting is a bad power supply. Or a power supply not providing enough power required to the system. When one upgrades hardware esp. a video card people don't relize that with that extra performace there is a great requirment for power to be provided to the system.

Other then the most common cause there is a long list of causes that could make the computer to restart randomly. Outdated drivers, corrupt drivers, dammaged hardware, not applying enough thermal greese to the cpu, providing too much thermal greese to the cpu, power spikes, & static to name a few. This is the risk you run when one upgrades there own computer.

As for getting a Mac I wouldn't be caught dead with one. Nor touch one with a 10 foot poll. >=P

[Edited on 30-5-2004 by oconnection]

posted on May, 30 2004 @ 11:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by oconnection
As for getting a Mac I wouldn't be caught dead with one. Nor touch one with a 10 foot poll. >=P

Why do people hate Macs so much?? Theyre really great...even tho people say there slow they really are quite fast. And most of the ppl that say they would never touch one HAVE NEVER BEEN ON ONE!!! Its ridiculous. They are alot better than PCs in certain areas.

posted on Jul, 2 2004 @ 04:36 PM
link   
This has happened to me a couple times. I can easily get into Windows by this method--

1. Turn on your computer and wait for the Windows Loading screen to pop up. Press F8.

2. Select "Safe Mode"

3. When asked if you wish to use a restore point, click yes and restore to around a week before the problem occurred.

4. The rest is self-explanatory.

This is not a solution, but you should be able to get into Windows and root out the problem.

E_T

posted on Jul, 6 2004 @ 10:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by iceofspades
This has happened to me a couple times. I can easily get into Windows by this method--

1. Turn on your computer and wait for the Windows Loading screen to pop up. Press F8.

2. Select "Safe Mode"

3. When asked if you wish to use a restore point, click yes and restore to around a week before the problem occurred.

4. The rest is self-explanatory.

This could be caused by some program or device drivers.

And to websurfer, I had same kind problem after I installed Norton Internet Security: instead of XP's login screen PC just rebooted everytime until I removed that software.

posted on Jul, 9 2004 @ 04:37 AM
link   
Providing you can get to safe mode, clear everything out of your startup using the MSCONFIG command...If it still won't boot, you more than likely have a hardware issue, my bet is placed on a PCI device, a sound or video card...

Shine,
AYHJA

posted on Jul, 13 2004 @ 07:13 AM
link   

I would definitely try to avoid reformatting. I had a problem when I was a relative new member with computers and some idiot told me to reformat. It took three days to get everything back !!!!

Almost same for me...

Updated antivirus, antivirus told me that my new version of Sonique audio player was a virus, un-installed, kept telling me that i had the virus, me panic, me format PC

Data
Me

Edit :

Oh, antivirus company appologized saying that it was a bug in the new update (24 hours after the format... )
Now i know better

[Edited on 13-7-2004 by stephq]

new topics

top topics

join