It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Does anyone else finds this Vancouver Olympics ad a bit sinister?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 15 2010 @ 03:22 AM
link   
Now many people would call this ad for Vancouver 2010 Olympics as a "creative exercise". However, I found this ad a bit sinister, thanks to black and white themed animation and a pack of wolves
, surely they could have come up with a more pleasant theme and set of colors

posted on Feb, 15 2010 @ 03:41 AM
link   
I know you're a yankee and haven't been to the Canadian north, but that's essentially what it looks like in the dead of winter - there is no colour. My impression is that the monochrome stylization is trying to emphasize the atmosphere of that environment... nothing sinister.

posted on Feb, 15 2010 @ 03:53 AM
link   
I'll throw in that the wolves may be the other contenders and that only the 'top dog' can go all the way and capture the prize.

It is a little dark, but there's nothing wrong with that!

Be thankful it's not the Judder Man advert for metz:

-m0r

posted on Feb, 15 2010 @ 05:08 AM
link   
reply to post by m0r1arty

this IS freaky...shows what drinking spirits can do...

posted on Feb, 15 2010 @ 05:58 AM
link   
I think it is brilliant.
Shows how tough we are despite adversity.
It was done by BBC though, not in Canada..so I'm curious where their inspiration came from?
And take note those from BBC...
In the arctic, wolves are WHITE.

posted on Feb, 15 2010 @ 06:18 AM
link   
I think it's pretty cool actually and not sinister. I like the ending where he breaks the bear with the curling stone.

Not as good as the Olympics in China one with monkey kung fu though.

posted on Feb, 15 2010 @ 05:33 PM
link   
Sinister?........No.

Super cool, and would love to see the commercial turned into a video game?..........H*ll yes!

I loved the commercial, I hadnt seen it yet.

posted on Feb, 22 2010 @ 09:17 PM
link   
I live in BC and have never seen this commercial till now so it's likely only being shown in regions other than Canada. It's rather clever in that it combines four of the winter games, namely snowboarding, skiing, skeleton and curling. I agree though that the ad is a bit dark and sinister for what is supposed to be three weeks of "fun and games".

The Olympics used to be a worthy event, showcasing and promoting amateur sport across the world. Like most sporting events these days, it's turned into a corporate money-making machine. The Olympic Committee has even lowered their standards to those of scalpers by allowing them to re-sell event tickets, as long as the IOC gets a cut. Quite the racket they have going.

Perhaps the wolves in the ad are meant to represent the athlete's corporate sponsors pressuring them to win and threatening to pull their funding if they don't.

posted on Feb, 22 2010 @ 09:45 PM
link   
I don't see anything that cool about it. The monochrome is clever. I don't like the wolves. I see how they relate with Canada, but not how a menacing pack converging on a presumed Olympic athlete is gonna conjure up the Olympic spirit.

posted on Feb, 22 2010 @ 09:59 PM
link   
I think it is metaphorical.
Wolves are black because they are the "bad guys" (even if they are supposed to be white in some areas).

It represents that we are coming to a time in history where sides will be chosen. You will either be black or white; no more shades of grey. The majority will be black wolves but the contender has an edge---momentum.

The contender is a great leap ahead of them. His "robes" are being washed in snow throughout his journey. In the end, he sees the Great Demon and basically laughs as he crumbles it with a toss. With one stone a mountain crumbles.

The good guys always win.

posted on Feb, 22 2010 @ 09:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by NightGypsy
but not how a menacing pack converging on a presumed Olympic athlete is gonna conjure up the Olympic spirit.

If it were the summer Olympiad I would say it would conjure up a sprinter to run LIKE HELL!

Dorian Soran

new topics

top topics

join