It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Rape? It's the fault of the victims, say 50 per cent of women

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 14 2010 @ 08:50 PM
link   

Rape? It's the fault of the victims, say 50 per cent of women

www.dailymail.co.uk

The poll of 1,000 adults found that 54 per cent of women believe rape victims should be held accountable for their attack.

Women were more likely than men to blame victims, with those aged between 18 and 24 the most likely to judge.

(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Feb, 14 2010 @ 08:50 PM
link   
The prospect of having to attend court would deter 42% of women from reporting rape, the poll found

The fact only one in 14% reported rapes end in conviction may also dissuade women from reporting rape

Shame, embarrassment and guilt over being at least partially responsible, also deter women from reporting rape to the authorities

www.dailymail.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 14-2-2010 by Dock9]

posted on Feb, 14 2010 @ 08:57 PM
link   
I wouldn't go so far to say that women are responsible for their rapes, but they do have to take some responsibility to ensure their own safety.

Either through not partaking in dangerous activities or (and) through learning self-defense.

These two things will likely ensure that the occurrences will drop significantly.

Anyone (women OR men) who does neither is just looking for trouble..

+7 more 
posted on Feb, 14 2010 @ 08:58 PM
link   
I've known a rape victim and she continually blames herself for what happened to her. I actually thought women would be a bit more understanding as it's such a horrific crime. Clearly, I was mistaken. What a joke.

posted on Feb, 14 2010 @ 08:58 PM
link   

Half of women think that rape victims are to blame for their attack, a study has shown.

More than one in ten said that dancing provocatively, flirting or wearing revealing clothing made them partly responsible.

This blame culture is deterring victims from reporting the crime, according to the sexual assault clinics that carried out the poll.

Alarmingly, they also found that one in three men claimed they didn't think it was rape if they made their partner have sex when they didn't want to.

Thirteen per cent of men admitted having sex with a partner who was too drunk to know what was happening.

The poll of 1,000 adults found that 54 per cent of women believe rape victims should be held accountable for their attack.

Women were more likely than men to blame victims, with those aged between 18 and 24 the most likely to judge.

See full article at link:
www.dailymail.co.uk...

Has anything changed throughout history, with regard to attitudes to rape ?

Should females dress and behave more conservatively and less provocatively ?

Should the blame for the majority of rapes be shouldered equally by females and men ?

Are the only 'true' rapes those in which the victim is clearly seen to be blameless, i.e., elderly women living at home or in care-facilities; women attacked in the street or in her home by an opportunist stranger; women attacked when travelling alone, etc. ?

Do ATS members agree with the 54% of women in the poll, who believed that women should be held accountabl for the attack ?

+9 more 
posted on Feb, 14 2010 @ 09:03 PM
link   
hmm i wonder if those same women would feel the same if they was the ones raped. True some women may entice men with looks and how their dress but that dosent mean it gives the men a green light to dominate a woman to do as he feels like.

[edit on 14-2-2010 by loner007]

+23 more 
posted on Feb, 14 2010 @ 09:05 PM
link   
I was once told I "would be easy to rape" by a guy I knew casually. That struck a nerve and I never forgot that (this was a long time ago)... I do think women need to be smart about where they are and what they are doing and with whom they are around. However, to blame a victim for Rape is terrible. That's to victimize the person twice. How sad, this is still the beliefs of some...

posted on Feb, 14 2010 @ 09:08 PM
link   
The women polled were in the U.K., I presume?

Regardless, it is not surprising. A good half of the population, even in the most developed nations of the Western world, lack the intelligence to understand all but the most primitive concepts of justice.

link   
Conviction rate further halts the conviction rate by not reporting... having that happen in the first place is horrible and im sure the mental and physical pain both make things so mch worse, if u only want to forget something why would u make the issue go to court ( if even given that opportunity) how can anyone blame a victim without... provocation from the victim, damn i hate people i cant even write this,

link   
I am not saying the blame is on women, but when or if women dress in like a manner that would interest a crazy lunatic guy, it gets him which can be in a way a women's fault, knowing what they are wearing or exposing of themselves may suade a crazy guy into doing something.

posted on Feb, 14 2010 @ 09:12 PM
link   
i wouldnt necessarily blame victims or think that they should some how be held partially responsible, but women are typically educated on how to help prevent these situations, and stupidly ignore those lessons.

If you're walking alone at night in a dangerous area when you have a safer alternative, its clearly risky. but people will do it just to save time. thats partially your responsibility because it was preventable.

if you get really drunk at a bar and leave with some random guy and he ends up raping you? sorry. thats just as much your fault as it is his. it was preventable if the woman was acting responsibly.

i think that it really comes down to specific situations and can't really be generalized i guess...

+2 more 
posted on Feb, 14 2010 @ 09:15 PM
link   
Rape is one of the few crimes that I support swift vigilante justice. I see no problem with merciless, brutal torture and eventual killing of rapists.

+5 more 
posted on Feb, 14 2010 @ 09:16 PM
link   
reply to post by Dock9

Nope. Rape would still exist even if all women were in burqas because there are men who are cowards and want a power rush.

The lack of empathy in the survey astounds me to no end. I wonder if those women that were surveyed would willingly make public their feelings about rape and how the victim is to blame?

Thought not.

posted on Feb, 14 2010 @ 09:17 PM
link   
The study, which was compiled from data obtained from rape clinics, reports that more women than men blamed the victim

Does this mean that men (or women) know what they're talking about, when it comes to rape ?

posted on Feb, 14 2010 @ 09:25 PM
link   
reply to post by Dock9

Reminds me of a joke.

What do you call a woman with an opinion?

wrong

posted on Feb, 14 2010 @ 09:27 PM
link   
reply to post by Dock9

Does this mean that men (or women) know what they're talking about, when it comes to rape?

Not sure that I understand the meaning of the question... would you elaborate?

[edit on 14-2-2010 by LadySkadi]

+16 more 
posted on Feb, 14 2010 @ 09:27 PM
link   
Lets not forget RAPE has been branched out to sooooo many meanings these days.

RAPE in the old fashioned sceme of things is when someone uses FORCE to gain access to the other person for pleasure. I.E. Man uses his strength to hold woman, down, rip off clothing, and have intercourse.

Then RAPE became the above definition AND that of a man threatning to use harm on a woman to make her comply with his needs. She may not have been forced physically, but mentally she was in fear so she went along with it to save from a beating.

Now RAPE is both above definitions AND a woman getting drunk, screwing a hot guy from the bar, waking up the next day realizing she shouldn't have and her simply saying I shouldn't have done that, or telling somone she didn't want it to happen means she was RAPED...when in reality SHE made the choice at the time. Or she cheats on her bf/hubby, he finds out and to save face with her "man" she says she was raped. That not only brings compasion from her friends for the mistake, but the bf/hubby is less likely to kick her skank behind to the curb...alla DUKE LACROSS chick.

RAPE is disgusing...and any man that needs to RAPE a woman to get laid needs to be executed, but I WILL agree that RAPE is not always what it seems and THAT is another main reason why the REAL victims have such a tough time.

Not to mention I have a VERY feminist friend who says women are as strong as men physically and mentally. She is the type that writes the Army and demands women be allowed to be infantry and special forces, etc...yet when asked why a woman cannot fight off her rapist and physically kick his behind to prevent the rape...she makes up excuses...I think that mentallity ALSO hurt the way women can be treated...IMO...

Either way...RAPE in the first two definitions I provided is wrong and should be dealt with VERY swiftly....

posted on Feb, 14 2010 @ 09:29 PM
link   
reply to post by MacDonagh

It's women, more than men, who are blaming the victim, though

Does this mean women, more than men, are judgemental of their own sex, of rape victims ? If so, why ? Is it society's conditioning ? Or does it mean that women are aware that certain behaviours and dress are more likely to result in attacks and rape ?

posted on Feb, 14 2010 @ 09:31 PM
link   
Its a very TOUGH subject to distinguish.

Women have a lot of power here, and can seriously screw a mans life up if she's vindictive about something.

1. False rape claims. If a woman cries rape, people usually believe it.

2. If a women walks down a dodgy street in a miniskirt that might as well be a belt, a strapless top showing more than the imagination can ponder, while walking seductivley, then.. im afraid to say but your just attracting scum..

Is this the womans fault if she's raped? NO.

But she must take SOME responsibility for putting her self in that situation.

Put a roast chicken in front of a starving man he will eat it.
Put a skanky clad women in front of a bunch of horny drunk men in a dark alley, your going to get raped.

posted on Feb, 14 2010 @ 09:36 PM
link   
Rape is definitely never the fault of the victim but many rapes could have been avoided by the victim simply through exercising more caution in where they were going and what they were doing and in some cases who they were with.

Because in hindsight it’s much easier to see how it might not have occurred had more caution been exercised in one or more of those regards its not to hard from there to see it as one’s own fault.

The truth is though except for a few mentally insane or learning disabled people, rapists know rape is wrong. It can be hard to separate how a victim’s own decisions and actions helped to enable the situation but it will never excuse the culpability of the rapist themselves when the rapist is mentally competent.

Learning street awareness, situational awareness, common sense and even learning to listen to one’s own sixth sense is something all women and men should actively develop as a helpful deterent against all forms of violent crimes.

An ounce of prevention is after all worth a pound of cure.

[edit on 14/2/10 by ProtoplasmicTraveler]

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join