It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Social Networking and Data Mining: What It Reveals About You

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 15 2010 @ 07:38 AM
link   
It could be that google has not cached that thread yet, it's only 3 days old... The crawler bots are getting slow in their old age?

posted on Feb, 15 2010 @ 07:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by Now_Then
It could be that google has not cached that thread yet, it's only 3 days old... The crawler bots are getting slow in their old age?

www.google.ch...

posted on Feb, 15 2010 @ 08:23 AM
link   
reply to post by Now_Then

Nope. Don't think that's it. This thread comes up on a google search - but mine doesn't. Tried several different terms - nothing works.

Google's Big Fiber Play: What Gives?

...Thing is, I LIKE google...

posted on Feb, 15 2010 @ 08:35 AM
link   
Yeah, sure

that can be used for marketing and possible other purposes

Thanks a bunch. As soon as I heard the military/govt was "mining" facebook I quit going there. Aren't you a little fired of being manipulated by a government that no longers has to tell you the truth about anything.

[edit on 15-2-2010 by m khan]

posted on Feb, 15 2010 @ 09:58 AM
link   
IsnT this what the Nazis did with the Jews before they started killing them all off. Categorize them and then give them numbers. This is just more info to put a specific number on each one of us. Once some one has our information then they can make a choice where in society we should be put into. Such as if Martial Law where to happen. O you like this and that...we will stick you where we think you should be. Think more about this, it gives rise to why we have such high unemployment. The government could just place you somewhere just like the military....cilivian military...

posted on Feb, 15 2010 @ 10:41 AM
link   
I feel a bit let down by this article. I thought i was going to learn something fascinating. Instead it was "people here tend to talk to people here".

posted on Feb, 15 2010 @ 10:44 AM
link   
reply to post by antonia

Lol. Sorry Antonia... but Warden did say he was an amateur at analyzing the data compiled. His primary focus was on creating the software programs that were capable of compiling all of the data and than marketing said software and the info. to the pros (Academics) who would be able to better analyze what was found.

posted on Feb, 15 2010 @ 12:07 PM
link   
this would be vaguely scary if most Social networking sites weren't so mind bogglingly mundane. There is virtually nothing on facebook that could be used in any meaningful way.

However, I could write a college thesis on why Facebook should be embraced in the business world as a way of instantly communicating on a site that is almost universally checked more regularly than email accounts.

I am a user of Facebook. I have been one for over 5 years, since back in the day when the only "app" was the poking feature. All i wonder about is the usefulness of the information.

Ok, so big brother knows you like pictures of lolcats. ok, big brother knows that you put the bible as one of your favorite books. good to know, but is it something that they should spend resources acquiring? I like how the description of "dixie" is spot on to things we have know about the south for decades.

The advertising algorithms dont even work PROPERLY!!

-----------------

I have "Phish" listed as one of my favorite bands, so every few days There will be an ADVERTISEMENT that pops up telling me I should buy tickets for phish and their next show out in Colorado or Florida or wherever. BUT I LIVE IN NORTH CAROLINA!!!! what the hell do I care about shows on the other side of the country?

This is a MAJOR advertising fail, and here is why; I am a Fan of "Starburst". Now they could use the advertising space to tell me about all the latest candy innovations, but no, its like they have specific ads that appear from keywords on any given page. Do people in Europe who like phish also get invite ads for shows in the US?

Plus any public "event" on facebook has the possibility of randomly appearing as an AD!!! sometimes my AD space is dedicated to some show for some band that IM NOT EVEN A FAN OF, and make NO REFERENCE to on my page; and ONCE AGAIN, these shows are more than 15 hours away from where i have lived all my life. They are SERIOUSLY missing out on alot of localized and specialized opportunities because of some very outdated algorithms.

----------

Until people start posting meaningful things not just the average "OMFG Watching LOST!1!1!! LOLZZZZ" type stuff, any information compiled would be fairly uninteresting.

[edit on 15-2-2010 by drsmooth23]

top topics

<< 1   >>

join