It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Can you be jinxed by a certain name.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 14 2010 @ 02:22 PM
link   
Couldn't really think of a better title so let me explain a bit.

I seem to have really bad luck with any named Nick, normally I'm a " you make your own luck kinda guy" but lately I've been thinking back over it and here is what I see from a logical standpoint.

As a kid I used to be involved heavily in martial arts tournaments, my first and second losses ever came at the hands of someone with the name Nick ( two separate people ).

Later on in life, I got beat out for a promotion that I was by far the front runner for.

And twice in my life I have been cheated on and subsequently left for two people with the name of Nick.

Now some might say that I possibly bring this to reality, by having a bad experience with the name prior and it being a subconscious manifestation of this. I thought that for awhile, but with the people that cheated on me, both times it happened it was when they were out of town working and met these guys, so there was no way that I was able to influence the situation by my own hand, as by the time I found out what was going on, the damage had already been done and they were in the process of leaving.

The tournament losses, perhaps the second time I was edgy as I had never lost before and perhaps I had attached a negativity to the name of the first person who ever beat me.

The promotion, I had never met the man before and didn't even know his name until after the fact. I have found that I dislike anyone with that name almost immediately, and most times its at first glance without ever having heard their name.

I don't really buy into jinx's curses, hexes and fated bad luck, but I do believe in destiny and fate. So I submit, has anyone else just had extremely negative experiences with everyone that bears a certain name?

Cheers,
Itachi

posted on Feb, 14 2010 @ 02:39 PM
link   
defintion taken from herereply to post by Itachimaru

The name is close to Nix with a lot of negative connotation to that in itself:
"1.no
2.not at all
Etymology: Ger nichts
interjection

1.stop; don't do that
2.I forbid, refuse, disagree, etc.
noun

1.nothing
2.refusal or rejection
transitive verb

to disapprove of or put a stop to"

definition of Nick
"Main Entry: 1nick
Pronunciation: \ˈnik\
Function: noun
Etymology: Middle English nyke, probably alteration of nocke nock
Date: 15th century
1 a : a small notch, groove, or chip b : a small cut or wound c : a break in one strand of two-stranded DNA caused by a missing phosphodiester bond
2 : a final critical moment
3 slang British : prison; also : police station
4 British : condition "
Lots of negative connotations here as well.defintiion from here

Also meaning of the name...
"Nick

The name Nick is a baby boy name. The name Nick comes from the English origin. In English The meaning of the name Nick is: Diminutive of Dominick: Lord. Abbreviation of Nicholas. Mythological Nike was Greek goddess of victory and root origin of 'Nicholas.'. "
taken from here

And it's association with the devil:

Index - Categorical / Origin - Old...

Old Boy Old Gooseberry Old Bendy
Old Ned Old Nick Old One
Old Scratch Old Harry Horny, Old Horny
Old Cloots Old Serpent

from this site

You may be onto something, and I have always distrusted anybody named Nick myself. So I can understand this also for me goes for nicki for girls....hmmmm....odd.

posted on Feb, 14 2010 @ 02:47 PM
link   
reply to post by Itachimaru

A bit of synchronicity (sp?) perhaps, but my sister brought home her new boy friend last night and I'll give you one shot at his name...Yup, Nick. The spooky part is, I got the worst vibe from him. Usually I try and wait to form opinions on people until I get a chance to speak or interact with them, but it was way different this time. The instant I saw him, my mind goes "Don't trust this guy."

And now that I think about it, my last girlfriend's name was Nicki, and that did not go well at all....

-Crazy

posted on Feb, 14 2010 @ 03:03 PM
link   

Yes... Logan. Throughout my life I have encountered many Logans and have had problems with all of them! Maybe I associate all Logans with the original one I met and just dislike all...lol... Down with Logans!

posted on Feb, 14 2010 @ 03:42 PM
link   
reply to post by electricveins

you've encountered many logans?
I dont know that I have ever met even 1.
But i was thinking the other day how names seem to fit certain people. Like you might meet a girl named jen, and think...you know she really does look and act like a jen. I guess you just base it on other people you have met in the past. on the other hand perhaps that she is a jen causes a person to assume things, and treat her like a "jen"

I guess what I'm getting at is some sort of subconscious collective way of making people into a Jen. Does that make sense?

posted on Feb, 14 2010 @ 03:45 PM
link   
Yup, I Agree names can blunt your professional and personal life.

Lets take the name "Bruce" for example. The name is associated as a gay name.

I've met two African American women and their names given was "Aquanetta". It took every bit of my being not to laugh in their faces. Guess they would excel well in the hair care business.

Edited for spelling.

[edit on 14-2-2010 by brilab45]

posted on Feb, 14 2010 @ 03:57 PM
link   

Well, first of all, you say that you don't believe in hexes, curses, etc...... Well maybe you should because they obviously believe in you.

Secondly, if I were you, I would try to stay away from people named Nick. And yes , that includes good old Saint Nick of Christmas fame.

I looked up the name Nick on a "name meaning" website and in a nutshell it means "victory of people". If you want to extend the meaning of the word victory to win, then it will make sense that for every winner you have to have a loser. I'm not going to expound on this any further because I have no reason to defame your character.

To answer your question though, yes, I believe people can have either good or bad luck based on a persons name. I can't explain it, but sometimes a persons name sums them up perfectly. Sometimes, if a person is in an environment or around people that is not in line with their name, they wont be able to live up to their full potential. The exact opposite of that last sentence is also true.

Again, I can't explain why this happens, but I've seen it happen.

Peace

posted on Feb, 14 2010 @ 04:40 PM
link   
no hexes or curses.

i'll leave you with a quote to meditate on:

"behind every fear is a wish"

and you need to know that negativity is a sinkhole that must feed itself. wether you want to believe it or not, you bring these people into your life because you fear them, and when you fear something, it cripples your posture, it changes your behavior, and it is subtly percieved in everything you interact with in your world. your strange new behavior in turn attracts that which you try to repel because you think so much on it.

let it all go and embrace unconditional love, even for the worst kinds of people.

edit: my name is Conrad btw

[edit on 14-2-2010 by shagreen heart]

new topics

top topics

join