It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Simulation Hypothesis and Twin Universes

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 14 2010 @ 12:55 PM
link   
I think the simulation hypothesis is interesting. It basically say an advanced civilization would create anscestor simulations and we could be living in one of these ancestor simulation.

I go a step further and say the universe is a quantum computer.

One theory says that these ancestor simulations are deleted:

Journal of Futures Studies, Vol. 11, No. 1, pp. 23-42, August 2006

Abstract:
A future society will very likely have the technological ability and the motivation to create large numbers of completely realistic historical simulations and be able to overcome any ethical and legal obstacles to doing so. It is thus highly probable that we are a form of artificial intelligence inhabiting one of these simulations. To avoid stacking (i.e. simulations within simulations), the termination of these simulations is likely to be the point in history when the technology to create them first became widely available, (estimated to be 2050). Long range planning beyond this date would therefore be futile.

papers.ssrn.com...

That's interesting. I'm not even 40 years old and some are saying in around 40 years everybody will have a laptop that's can run an anscestor simulation.

The paper says that these simulations are deleted but I don't think this would be the case with all of them. I think some will be deleted but they can always be rebooted in what we call the multiverse. I think the multiverse holds a record of the simulations in the universal hard drive.

For instance there's a theory of twin universes.

Before the Big Bang: A Twin Universe?

The new study suggests that the universe that came before our own universe was its identical twin.

But in the past few years, a new theory called Loop Quantum Gravity (LQG) has emerged. The theory suggests the possibility of a “quantum bounce,” where our universe stems from the collapse of a previous universe. Yet what that previous universe looked like was still beyond answering.

Now, physicists Alejandro Corichi from Universidad Nacional Autónoma de México and Parampreet Singh from the Perimeter Institute for Theoretical Physics in Ontario have developed a simplified LQG model that gives an intriguing answer: a pre-Big Bang universe might have looked a lot like ours. Their study will appear in an upcoming issue of Physical Review Letters.

“The significance of this concept is that it answers what happened to the universe before the Big Bang,” Singh told PhysOrg.com. “It has remained a mystery, for models that could resolve the Big Bang singularity, whether it is a quantum foam or a classical space-time on the other side. For instance, if it were a quantum foam, we could not speak about a space-time, a notion of time, etc. Our study shows that the universe on the other side is very classical as ours.”

The finding builds on previous research, with some important differences. Last year, Penn State physicist Martin Bojowald used a simplified version of LQG to show that a universe “on the other side” of the bounce could have existed. However, although that model produced valid math, no observations of our current universe could have lead to any understanding of the state of the pre-bounce universe, as nothing was preserved across the bounce. Bojowald described this as a sort of “cosmic amnesia.”

But Corichi and Singh have modified the simplified LQG theory further by approximating a key equation called the quantum constraint. Using their version, called sLQG, the researchers show that the relative fluctuations of volume and momentum in the pre-bounce universe are conserved across the bounce.

“This means that the twin universe will have the same laws of physics and, in particular, the same notion of time as in ours,” Singh said. “The laws of physics will not change because the evolution is always unitary, which is the nicest way a quantum system can evolve. In our analogy, it will look identical to its twin when seen from afar; one could not distinguish them.”

www.physorg.com...

This could mean that the universe rebooted the simulation and we call this the big bang.

It would also mean that we are doomed because we are destined to either destroy ourselves or what we call time will just end at the same point that our twin universe was deleted.

[edit on 14-2-2010 by Matrix Rising]

posted on Feb, 14 2010 @ 01:24 PM
link   
It would absolutely make sense that our expanding universe would have been made from the remnants of a collapsed universe. After all, I believe our universe is doomed to repeat the same and eventually collapse in on itself. The question really arises when you ask what happened before this string of expansions and collapses.

In regards to the simulation theory, I've always thought that was an interesting concept. Although, I must in reality be a highly intelligent being if I chose to came back as this current avatar, because I have no idea what I'm gaining from it.
But I don't think that the simulation would absolutely need to end at the time simulations were created in the "true" reality. That could always be coded out of the simulation.

One thing is for sure though, I'm looking for some cheat codes next time I go around.

-Crazy

posted on Feb, 14 2010 @ 02:07 PM
link   
reply to post by Matrix Rising

OP first off this is a great thread, I like threads like these because it offers insight that directs us away from the common day themes.

That said I personally believe there is a flaw in all of this, its a basic fundamental flaw that many people make (not just on this site, and that is they try and take something uncomprehensible to human knowledge, translate it in to human/earth terms and then package it and contain it in something so simple so that everyone can understand.

IMHO Its truely impossible to know this inside and out of these particular issues without looking at it from a different point of view, unfortunately, the majority of people (not necessarily on this site, but globally) will never have that opportunity.

Everything that is foreign in nature and to human mind, sometimes cannot be translated perfectly, the universe is a big place and earth is just a small pale blue dot.

[edit on 14-2-2010 by franspeakfree]

posted on Feb, 14 2010 @ 02:09 PM
link   
I've read about this s.c. "Matrix" theory. It does not seem too far-fetched, given how far we ourselves already have come in "simulating" complete universes in games ,and even in theorethical physics thanx to IT, interconnectedness and ever stronger computers.

Already the first human-machine interfaces are bypassing the humble mouse&keyboard, enabling us to control the PC with Alpha-waves. I even saw a toy, I believe they called it "Jedi-master" or sumpting that basically lets you bounce a little ball. just by using the right brain-waves, picked up by some sort of head-band.

Next step would be the integration of neurons and computer-chips. Neurons like growing on silicon, it seems. Two-way control would be feasible in a short time. So, basically, the Simulation would connect directly to your brain.(Shooters would become quite interesting, to say the least
)

All of this is just the interface-technology. Who knows where programming, done by computers themselves, will lead us as far as "Simulation of reality" goes.

Who needs science-fiction, when stuff like that is already on the designer's table...

Read some Ray Kurzweil. He may sound pretty crack-potty here&there ,but makes some good points.

On twin-universes. Maybe, it would prove the circularity so prevalent in many religions.

top topics

join