It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Can Myspace Get You Arrested?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 14 2010 @ 12:35 PM
link   
Using Myspace, Police claim probable cause to start investigations against users who post possible illegalities.
Warrants issued compel Myspace to turn over private IM's and has led to multiple arrests.

See Video Interview

and now, they get to use spy satellites as well
Cops Get To Use Surveillance Satellites

Soon, with CCTV, Satellites and Myspace, Facebook and other sources, big brother is not just watching...
edit-typo

[edit on 14-2-2010 by imd12c4funn]

posted on Feb, 14 2010 @ 12:47 PM
link   

His Facebook Status Now? ‘Charges Dropped’

Where’s my pancakes, read Rodney Bradford’s Facebook page, in a message typed on Saturday, Oct. 17, at 11:49 a.m., from a computer in his father’s apartment in Harlem.

At the time, the sentence, written in indecipherable street slang, was just another navel-gazing, cryptic Facebook status update — words that were gobbledygook to anyone besides Mr. Bradford.

But when Mr. Bradford, a skinny, short 19-year-old resident of the Farragut Houses, was arrested the next day as a suspect in a robbery, the words took on a level of importance that no one in their wildest dreams — least of all Mr. Bradford — could have imagined. They became his alibi.

Read Full Article

It can go both ways apparently and it can even be written in an urban variation of the English language, a.k.a. Ebonics lol.

posted on Feb, 14 2010 @ 12:54 PM
link   
People who post details of their criminal behavior on a public forum deserve to be featured on "America's Dumbest Criminals".

If you want to keep your criminal behavior secret, keep it private, don't post it on the web. Don't these idiots know the cops can track them through the web.

posted on Feb, 14 2010 @ 12:56 PM
link   
reply to post by FortAnthem

yea, they deserve to be on the worlds dumbest criminals list.

They were stupid to begin with for committing a crime, then are arrogant enough to post it online to claim some sort of bragging rights. Idiots...

posted on Feb, 14 2010 @ 12:57 PM
link   
I happen to know from when I was in a court of law, the prosecutor held the accused's entire Myspace printed out, in his folder and pulled it out when he wanted to use quotes on it against the person.

I firmly believe that the government will print out every single thing about a person from the internet, if there is ever any chance of it being able to be used against them.......

This does happen. Do NOT use real names if you use these social sites. The government DOES use them against us.

posted on Feb, 14 2010 @ 12:59 PM
link   
No seriously, people. Even if there is nothing ILLEGAL posted to social sites, they print out the entire thing, and will use anything STUPID against a person.

Honestly, doesn't even need to be anything crime-related, before gov't will print the damn things out for use against a person.

Do not ever think the government is not watching these social sites.... Because they ARE.

posted on Feb, 14 2010 @ 01:04 PM
link   
yes, thats why I dont use any type of personal social system ... it can cause a LOT of trouble and it exposes you a lot

one thing you can realize is that a lot of companies can check out myspace, facebook and other social solutions to know better its workers

imagine if you write in your facebook that you dont like to work, or that you spend most of your time in your cell instead of working ... well, that happens everyday and thats a reason you shouldnt use these kind of social systems, it can literaly hurt your professional career

posted on Feb, 14 2010 @ 01:10 PM
link   
reply to post by Faiol

I have heard of this exact same situation, of potential employers looking up potential employees online.

People are stupid to think that anyone in the world cannot look them up online, and see every single thing they type.

So I tell people if they MUST use a social site, not to use their real name. But then, if they are dumb enough to do it anyway, they deserve what they get.

posted on Feb, 14 2010 @ 01:13 PM
link   
For the most part, criminals are stupid. I mean, they picked that lifestyle already. On the social sites, I have heard of criminals breaking into houses, going onto facebook, and forgetting to log out.

Fail

posted on Feb, 14 2010 @ 01:15 PM
link   
I think it's a good idea to have access to the site (whichever one) that your friends use. That way, you can monitor what THEY put up, about you. Wouldn't it suck to have that picture from the last party you attended, sent out without knowing it? Or worse. At the very least, use it to know what those around you are doing (with regards to you and your deeds)...

posted on Feb, 14 2010 @ 01:21 PM
link   
reply to post by LadySkadi

but you dont need to use your real information, you can just create a fake account to check everything out

posted on Feb, 14 2010 @ 01:25 PM
link   
I think I'll use this to my benefit. I'll put up a page showing how squeaky clean I am, how naive and mundane my beliefs are. I'll talk about how I serve the homeless and underprivileged, and rock crack babies in my spare time, and how my job is nearly the reason for my entire existence. I'll do it before my next job hunt.

Seriously, if anyone can't figure out these sites are one big net used by the government for collecting info on the public, they deserve what they get. Unfortunately, some of the fall-out is probably going affect the rest of us who are just trying to enjoy what freedom we have left.

posted on Feb, 14 2010 @ 01:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by FortAnthem

People who post details of their criminal behavior on a public forum deserve to be featured on "America's Dumbest Criminals".

If you want to keep your criminal behavior secret, keep it private, don't post it on the web. Don't these idiots know the cops can track them through the web.

One could argue that such posts are merely fantastic tales which are fictitious and merely role playing or make believe just as in a motion picture.

When those with authority to investigate individuals use this method arbitrarily, to discern fact from fiction, no matter how blatant or incriminating the post, even known felons or gang bangers who broadcast their involvement can be taken with a grain of salt or as blatant confession.
Who decides?

Should those posting paradies of high profile people be investigated for defamation? Hasn't the Supreme Court been clear regarding this issue?

What is so different that one can be over the other chosen as cause?
Common sense may conclude that some of these posts are worthy of further investigation, but since when has Government or agencies providing public safety/other used common sense?
Sure;y not when raising the already unpayable deficit to increasingly irresponsible ceilings, as if there is no limit to out of control spending.
Surely not when Congressional Commitees conclude that there have been insider and other illegal activities involving Treasury, FED and others influencing deals, cherry picking which financial institutions survive and which are sacrificed,.
Surely not when Attorney Generals blind-eye criminal activity of monsterous porportion, ignoring oath and mandate of their responsibilities.
Surely not when our Fathers, Mothers, Siblings and friends all have lost retirement investments and nest eggs due to manipulation and gutter decisions of such blatant foul play, resulting in what I regard as nothing more than the grandest of larceny on a scale that dwarfs even the combined total of the entire worlds miliraty exspenditures throughout history, yet has one investigation or inquiry resulted in the arrest of those key perpetrators, seizure of any stolen assets, or conviction other than unrealted but similar ponzi schemes.

I could go on and on with examples of this theft and abuse seemingly exempt from action of law. As if the populus of all global sovereignties are but equal to bee hives (slaves) collecting honey (money) that periodically the beekeepers (elite controlling families; AKA, the Masters) harvest using the collections (spoils) to gain and increase wealth, power , status and control perpetually, never subject to the draconian laws that when set against them are quickly remanded.

Now, sitting at a monitor, from a satellite authorities can invade privacy at will and we all know these satellites are capable of zooming in to see a dust particle on a blemish within a freckle.
What will be next?
Unmanned remote control probes with FLIR and scanners which condemn us all in the end?

posted on Feb, 15 2010 @ 04:20 PM
link   
I disagree with the terminology "Big Brother", Brothers tend to be friendly and look out for their own. I'd call these tactics akin to "Big Bullying."

posted on Feb, 15 2010 @ 04:23 PM
link   
The problem is that a lot of us have joke Myspace pages. For instance, I have one for my cat. I hope I didn't blog anything incriminating on my cat's Myspace page. I would hate to see her go to jail. She's a very picky eater. I don't think she'd last long at all.

top topics

join