It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

SETI Opens All Data and Coding to the Public

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 14 2010 @ 05:48 AM
link   

SETI Opens All Data and Coding to the Public

newsjunkiepost.com

The Search for Extraterrestrial Intelligence (SETI) just announced that it is releasing all information to the public. SETIQuest.org was launched on Wednesday to facilitate the release and help coordinate an ‘army of citizen scientists’ to help search for anomalies in interstellar microwave patterns.

The NewScientist reports, “SETIQuest is the product of astronomer Jill Tarter’s TED Prize wish. After being awarded the TED Prize last year, Tarter was given the opportunity to make a single wish before an auditorium full of the top names in technology and design. Tarter wished that they would “empower Earthlings everywhere to become active participants in the ultimate search for cosmic company”.
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 2/14/2010 by iMacFanatic]

posted on Feb, 14 2010 @ 05:48 AM
link   
This is so cool.

Quite a few years ago now they made it possible for you to download software that would link your computer with theirs and use it as part of their signal searches when you weren't using it.

Of course I am sure the more paranoid were certain that they would use it to spy on people.

This is different though...if I understand this correctly (and there is a chance I am not) they are making their codes open source...and if I am correct about that then that means that I could download it and then adapt it to look for aliens in more specific ways.

I am not techie enough to do that but it is still interesting.

newsjunkiepost.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Feb, 14 2010 @ 06:08 AM
link   
Maybe this means they opened source because they realized more money should be spent here at home rather then out there.

Too many people still need help here before anybody takes a step out there.

posted on Feb, 14 2010 @ 06:14 AM
link   
reply to post by dzonatas

this is true but some will argue that whatever we do out there will benefit us here...

but space travel is not what SETI is about...

it is a search for life out there using various radio waves and frequency's.

posted on Feb, 14 2010 @ 06:23 AM
link   
reply to post by iMacFanatic

Why search out there when they can't even prove who is alive here on this earth? Just what are they going to find any different when they don't know the difference?

When someone is born, they still haven't been able to pinpoint any time or date when someone is alive. There is no proof if someone is alive, scientifically.

We could be on Earth made up of 6+ billion walking dead. All they do is act like humans with AI as some sort of symbiotic life support system for the few that are actually alive.

When SETI focuses on that here, then maybe money well spent. I think they tried and found it impossible. (It's a well known scientific anomaly.)

[edit on 14-2-2010 by dzonatas]

posted on Feb, 14 2010 @ 06:28 AM
link   
To further my case:

With my post in this other thread: here

I don't think there is much intelligence to find on this planet.

posted on Feb, 15 2010 @ 08:53 AM
link   
reply to post by iMacFanatic

G'day iMacFanatic, I can't see any changers here it is still the same set up.
Like you mentioned iMacFanatic you download the Seti client (Bionic) than download work units. Years ago they were small but still took 18 hours, now we have Dual/Quad Cores so a lot more work can be done But.... default it(Bionic) will use something like 100% CPU power and 90% Ram etc.. until you manually turn it down. What I always found was I need all my power when I'm using my computer and didn't like leaving it work all night.

Seti is looking too far out there I feel just like Hubble when we still can not see a close up picture from the Moon!

I see this was thrown in for inspiration, to use all your computer power.

Suggestive Data that Mars once contained Life
The first evidence came from a Martian rock that NASA released evidence for on 06 Aug 1996. This rock, known as the SNC meteorite had been ejected into space by an asteroid impact on Mars about 15 million years ago, and orbited the sun until it impacted with Antarctica about 13,000 years ago.

Zelong.

[edit on 15/2/10 by Zelong]

new topics

top topics

join