It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obama Planning To Use Executive Powers To Bypass Congress

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 15 2010 @ 05:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by SaturnFX
Something has to break.
I wonder how many on the left will help out the reps whom wouldnt allow a single thing to pass.

Where do you libs get these ideas?

The dems had a huge majority in the house and a filibuster proof senate - but. With those huge majorities, still they couldn't pass anything.

The Republicans didn't have the votes to stop ANYTHING from passing, so what kind of "special kowledge" does it take to blame the Republicans?

[edit on 2/15/2010 by centurion1211]

posted on Feb, 15 2010 @ 05:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by whatukno
reply to post by Ferris.Bueller.II

Now that the Dems don't have a majority, it would be just about impossible for them to get any of these nominations through.

Now you are earning my version of your avatar - whatudontkno.

The dems no longer have a "super majority", the 60 votes needed to be filibuster proof. But they still have 59 senate votes, which is a clear majority.

Funny to watch libs post this stuff, all the while acting so self-assured. Right up to the point when someone comes along with the facts and proves them wrong - yet again.

posted on Feb, 15 2010 @ 07:12 PM
link   
reply to post by centurion1211

We will hear gridlock whining from now until January 2013.

posted on Feb, 15 2010 @ 08:03 PM
link   

The dems no longer have a "super majority", the 60 votes needed to be filibuster proof. But they still have 59 senate votes, which is a clear majority.

Which means they might as well not have a Senate, because absolutely no legislation will be able to pass. Unless they capitulate to every single republican whim.

posted on Feb, 15 2010 @ 08:30 PM
link   
reply to post by whatukno

Whatukno. I like that you are so passionate about your views but they are flawed.. You use the argument that Obama should get everything he wants because the majority voted him in... Does that mean he should have the right to invalidate the senators and congressmen who were also voted in by the majority of people in their districts. The reason we have this type of government is precisely so that nothing can get done without compromise instead of the dangerous, impulsive whims of a tyrant king. If nothing gets done in congress so be it. The babies can pout at each other and learn to compromise or get voted out. Then when some legislation does pass the test it will be something we can all live with...

posted on Feb, 15 2010 @ 09:07 PM
link   

Which means they might as well not have a Senate, because absolutely no legislation will be able to pass. Unless they capitulate to every single republican whim.

Or ...

The dems could try bargaining item by item and attempting to work out compromises ...

u kno,
how it's supposed to be done!

posted on Feb, 15 2010 @ 09:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by centurion1211

Or ...

The dems could try bargaining item by item and attempting to work out compromises ...

u kno,
how it's supposed to be done!

Maybe the democrats could climb down off their great white horse
and stop changing the locks on the doors where the health care
reform is taking place.

posted on Feb, 15 2010 @ 10:01 PM
link   

The country can get along just fine with a wonderful gridlock.
Just wait and see.

posted on Feb, 16 2010 @ 07:47 AM
link   

Yea right, like the GOP would be willing to compromise anything at all.
give me a break, they have absolutely zero interest in compromise. All they want is the gridlock they already have created, that way in 2012 they can say, "Look, Obama hasn't gotten anything accomplished, vote for our stooge."

Just like 94 all over again.

posted on Feb, 16 2010 @ 11:54 AM
link   

Yea right, like the GOP would be willing to compromise anything at all.
give me a break, they have absolutely zero interest in compromise. All they want is the gridlock they already have created, that way in 2012 they can say, "Look, Obama hasn't gotten anything accomplished, vote for our stooge."

Just like 94 all over again.

In 1994 the Republican majorities DID compromise with Bill Clinton. I will grant you that the 1994 elections did force Clinton to veer back towards the center from his original hard left positions. But isn't the center where things should be to get things done that both sides can take something away from?

You seem to lament the democrat's loss of what amounts to a liberal dictatorship, where they had no real opposition. IMO, most feel that a liberal dictatorship would be just as bad as a conservative dictatorship.

Neither side should have that much power.

posted on Feb, 16 2010 @ 10:59 PM
link   

Yea, nice compromise, in 95 the GOP shut down the federal government twice because they refused to compromise on the budget. I haven't forgotten that little Gingrich stunt. I don't think the American people should either. It is a perfect example on how uncompromising the GOP is on anything.

Their failed "Contract with America", which got them the majority just allowed them to force their agenda through. Democrats at the time at least tried to compromise with the GOP. Turn the tables, and look at the mess we are in.

posted on Feb, 20 2010 @ 03:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by drwizardphd

Originally posted by SaturnFX

when a clear majority vote yes to pass something cannot be passed, then the powers given to the senate for careful use must be overriden. This is the exact reason why the president has the power to do this...he can be overriden of course by 2/3rds...

Pretty much this.

Politics in this country have degraded into everyone yelling "no!" at each other, filibustering, lying, and complaining. All the while the country flushes down the toilet and the middle class dissolves.

I may not agree with the executive orders Obama wants to pass, nor do I agree with the method he will use to force legislation (fair is fair - I complained when Bush did it and, unlike some of the other posters on this forum, I will not hold myself to hypocritical partisan standards).

However, I don't blame Obama. Say what you will about his "radical leftism", but the fact of the matter is Obama is a moderate-right leaning politician. They have tried compromise, and the Republicans spit on every attempt to reach an agreement. "Damn the country, Obama must fail" is the new motto of the GOP.

This is what our political system is now, because we are so heavily divided we have essentially degraded into a low-form dictatorship. Yes it's ugly but its necessary for things to change. Many of us apparently don't want things to change, but you would have to be a blind fool to wish to maintain the status quo.

Our country is failing. We either have to work together (which the Republicans have already proved they are unwilling to do), or do things the hard way.

In all honesty, I would rather they choose the hard way than sit back and do nothing while we fall into shambles.

[edit on 13-2-2010 by drwizardphd]

Personally, I would like to see the President use his executive powers to push through the health care reform. Congress had a chance and they blew it. No one wants to cooperate and they don't seem to care about the uninsured or the increasing costs of insurance premiums. My husband's monthly premium went up 25% this month! No notice was given. The insurance company has also increased copayments. They are paying out less and less.

posted on Feb, 23 2010 @ 07:30 AM
link   
reply to post by aero56

What the hell... Why don't we have Obama use his executive privilege for everything... If you want free healthcare, free food, free shelter and don't have to work for any of it, all you have to do is get yourself thrown in jail. Just don't try to drag me in there with you.

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join