It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Democrats to push Republicans/Senate Republicans: Filibuster everything

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 13 2010 @ 04:25 PM
link   

Democrats to push Republicans/Senate Republicans: Filibuster everything

www.washingtonpost.com

President Obama has reached out to Republicans in recent weeks, acknowledging that he needs bipartisan support to effectively govern the country. But the White House and congressional Democrats are also hedging their bets with a plan to make a campaign issue of what they say is Republican intransigence.

The emerging strategy seeks to take advantage of the partisan stalemate in Congress over Obama's nominees and major policy initiatives, and to turn the page on a year when the White House failed to secure passage of complicated health-care and energy legislation.

The idea is to make Republicans either vote for a series of more modest bills identified as popular with the public or explain to constituents this fall why they opposed them.
(visit the link for the full news article)

and from www.mcclatchydc.com...

Senate Republicans are using the filibuster to limit and often derail Democrats' initiatives, paralyzing the Senate and making it nearly impossible to accomplish even the most routine matters.

The filibuster strategy "makes the Senate dysfunctional," said Mark Strand, the president of the Congressional Institute, a nonpartisan research group. That, in turn, blocks the Obama administration's agenda, but it also sours public opinion on Washington, with polls showing clear public disdain for Congress in particular. Republicans think voters will reward them for that in November.

[edit on 2/13/2010 by iMacFanatic]

posted on Feb, 13 2010 @ 04:25 PM
link   
I don't know about anybody else I am sick of this crap.

It has ceased to have anything to do with the country...its all about party ideology and power.

The Democrats are going to push to a vote everything that they can to force the Republicans to go on record.

And the Republicans are planning to filibuster everything...

Like this is what the people want or need? And, this is their plans to win the mid-terms?

It is beginning as if both parties are trying to commit political suicide.

I wouldn't support the tea party if you put a shotgun to my head but I am looking for any group that could that could beat these two parties of dysfunctional idiots.

www.washingtonpost.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Feb, 13 2010 @ 04:34 PM
link   
Thing is THE MAJORITY OF AMERICANS don't want either this crappy ``energy legislation`` nor the other crappy ``health-care legislation``.

So it's not a downside, like the article implies, that those treasonous legislations did not pass.

With the scum in power in the last few decades, THE LESS THEY DO, THE BETTER.

[edit on 13-2-2010 by Vitchilo]

posted on Feb, 13 2010 @ 04:38 PM
link   
That is your opinion.

What the polls actually say is that people don't like this bill but at the same time are in favor of health care reform.

And most people don't know enough about the energy bill to make and informed opinion about it and I that is true of the heath bill as well.

There has been so much crap from both sides that it is impossible for average joe to.

[edit on 2/13/2010 by iMacFanatic]

posted on Feb, 13 2010 @ 04:46 PM
link   
reply to post by iMacFanatic

Oh yeah? Have you seen how they passed cap and trade in the house? I've seen it live and it was SICK. The only thing more treasonous in the last 2 year than that bill was the bank bailout.

But I agree with you that the majority of americans want health care reform but the majority, 65% want a fresh start on the legislation.

But from ALL the cases I've seen in the last 10 years, EVERY TIME they rewrite a bill, it's WORSE.

posted on Feb, 13 2010 @ 04:53 PM
link   
The 'American Way' has always been to divide the government among the parties, so nothing gets done. If they end up doing anything, it is historically inept, malicious, and harmful. So disarming the Progressive/Communists is a good thing. Both parties are full of the traitors, but if they stalemate each other, we win.

posted on Feb, 13 2010 @ 05:05 PM
link   
Let us all not forget why we have a political system. Two different poles, the left and the right. The reason for the two political party system is to keep the different idealistic views in check. If there were no fighting between the left in the right the country would absolutely go to the uttermost extreme left or right. And that would not be good.

posted on Feb, 13 2010 @ 06:20 PM
link   
But this is not how it supposed to work...and like I said on another thread this ever increasing paralysis is not how it has always been...it began in and around 1992/93.

The other issue is how can either party honestly believe that this is a valid approach to take them into the mid-terms?

posted on Feb, 14 2010 @ 07:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by Vitchilo

But from ALL the cases I've seen in the last 10 years, EVERY TIME they rewrite a bill, it's WORSE.

Yes, that's just the problem. The Senate version of the health care bill is a prime example. By the time they finished neutering it and watering it down to satisfy everybody and his cousin, they've now got something nobody likes.

posted on Feb, 14 2010 @ 08:48 PM
link   
reply to post by Sestias

That's compromise for you. Water it down till no one likes it.

The GOP is going to fillibuster themselves out of a job.

Tell you what is going to go down, mark my words here folks, because this is how it's going to work.

Remember that Tea Party Movement? Well they are out there right now collecting signatures to get on the ballot in the states that have representatives and senators up for election. What is going to happen is that the conservative vote is going to be split between the GOP candidate and the TPM candidate and the Democratic candidate will come out the winner because of that division.

Don't believe me? Look up what happened in New York's 12th Congressional District.

top topics

join