It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Tax Time! Don't Forget To Claim Your Stimulus

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 13 2010 @ 01:53 PM
link   
Wasn't sure were to put this, but it is important info for my fellow tax paying Americans! Mods feel free to move it.

My husband e-filed our taxes, as he always does. Our return was accepted, as no errors found. They deducted the cost of the service from our bank account and we sat back and awaited our refund....nothing...Husband decides he had better check his email and low and behold...there it is...return rejected due to error..... Seems he forgot to claim the stimulus money that was so graciously sent out last year...go figure.... Added that measley amount into the appropriate space and watched my refund go down 250.00 dollars. Wasn't that nice!! That being said...

If you haven't filed your taxes yet and you got a stimulus check last year, don't forget to include it!! They certainly aren't going to let you forget it!!

[edit on 13-2-2010 by Greenize]

posted on Feb, 13 2010 @ 02:04 PM
link   
Thanks for the great tip! I'd like to add another tip, if I may...

If you are a 'U.S. Person' by IRS rules, and have an RRSP (Canadian equivalent to an IRA) and you haven't been filing 8891 forms, you need to get them filed, and also your TD F 90-22.1's. The penalties can be VERY hefty if you don't!

posted on Feb, 13 2010 @ 02:10 PM
link   
reply to post by Greenize

I ran across the same situation when I e-filed and found out later...a week later that I failed to check the stimulas box! It was our (taxpayer) money to begin with, so the stimulas was not a stimulas, but merely an interest free loan we gave ourselves, at least in theory.

Our politicians still come up with creative ways to make us think they have our best interest when making decision and implementing policy. Rocket scientist they are...

rgseymour

posted on Feb, 13 2010 @ 02:31 PM
link   
We had a stimulus check in 2009? Perhaps I should ask for an additional $250 on my refund then. Oh and then they can add $150,000 for a late fee.

Seriously, I do not recall receiving a stimulus check in 2009. Nor a letter of non-qualification. What were the conditions for receiving one?

Edit my 2008's to 2009's....grr.

[edit on 13-2-2010 by Ahabstar]

posted on Feb, 13 2010 @ 02:46 PM
link   
This was talked about last yr I think.. Some Russian stated that they were only letting us borrow the money and we would have to pay it back the next year..

I cant find the post for it but its somewhere I think here on ATS...

So.. Don't think its a suprise because you have to pay it back..

Remember THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS FREE MONEY!!

[edit on 2/13/2010 by ThichHeaded]

posted on Feb, 13 2010 @ 02:47 PM
link   
reply to post by Ahabstar

In answer to my own question

So the $20/week reduction of taxes is a stimulus check? What a crock, $20/wk would not pay for the gas used going back and forth to work for most people. Someone needs to immediately (without benefits) fire and/or execute a good number of these "representatives".

Once upon a time a reduction in taxes was called a tax-cut.

posted on Feb, 13 2010 @ 02:51 PM
link   
reply to post by rgseymour

Sadly, there's no such thing as interest free when it derives from taxes. Any government money issued, comes from the Fed Reserve who creates that money. We in turn pay the Fed Reserve back real money with interest via taxes.
That's how money is legitimized in our debt-driven monetary system.

Geez that sounds an awful lot like a counterfeiter's money laundering operation. LOL.

posted on Feb, 13 2010 @ 03:16 PM
link   

You should ALL be filing a form 1041. You are ALL tax exempt and don't know it!!

The "Deceit" presented to the American People was now in full force. The governors of the 48 states of the united States all gathered at a Meeting with the BIRTH CERTIFICATES of all the citizens of their states in hand and pledged the energy behind the stocks, bonds, and notes created by the Federal Government who then sold them to the Federal Reserve Bank and at the same time place like "Dollars" of Federal Reserve Notes to insure the payment of the stocks, bonds, and notes. The problem was, the people could not pay a "DEBT" with a "DEBT", Federal Reserve Notes, without the Permission or Consent by Assent of the People. The deceit was "HOW" do you get people to consent to put a "DEBT" instrument against their property or assets.

By creating a "DEMOCRACY" form of government-in simple terms is nothing more than a COMMERCIAL, CORPORATE, CONTRACT form of government, which cannot do anything but create “DEBT". They then could not take the "REPUBLICAN” form of government away-they had to have a way to pay their "DEBTS”. HOUSE JOINT RESOLUTION 192 passed June 5, 1933 took care of the matter. The People were to be ruled by Public Policy-which is Common Law-or anything that is established that the people will accept. HJR 192-June 5, 1933 established the Public Policy for the "Money" that the People now did not have. (1) The government would pay the "DEBTS" of the people - DOLLAR FOR DOLLAR. This would be done with Credit and the only people who could issue Credit was the FEDERAL RESERVE BANKING SYSTEM. (2) The people were to be given Preferred Stock in this FEDERAL CORPORATION. (3) The people were to be given a Prepaid account in this FEDERAL CORPORATION. (4) The people were the "Holders in due course” of this FEDERAL CORPORATION.
(5) The people were to be "Exempt from Levy".

AND

The people were then created into CORPORATIONS or FICTIONS through the Birth Certificates, Social Security Numbers, and Voting Registration. Through these fictions, the Stocks, Notes, Bonds were
created. The Credit to pay the "DEBTS” would be established by the Signature of the People-“Money" created out of thin air. The Bank never loans "Money"-only Credit. Since "Federal Reserve Notes” are
"DEBT NOTES" they are a LIABILITY to the FEDERAL RESERVE BANKS. The Deceit of the FEDERAL RESERVE BANK and their AGENTS (ALL CORPORATIONS)(ONLY A CORPORATION CREATES DEBT-it is a FICTION) (an ILLUSION) is to get the people to allow them to place FEDERAL RESERVE NOTES against their assets without directly saying so---for it is a FELONY for anyone to Request or Accept FEDERAL RESERVE NOTES in payment of a "DEBT”. YOU CANNOT PAY A "DEBT" WITH A "DEBT".

With the passage of the Social Security Act, the real deceit began. The FEDERAL GOVERNMENT would now take care of you from the Cradle to the Grave. The SOCIAL SECURITY ADMINISTRATION was created as a "TRUST". The people apply for a SOCIAL SECURITY CARD
NUMBER and the SOCIAL SECURITY ADMINISTRATION then as GRANTOR establishes each person as a "TRUST” or FICTION or CORPORATION-the name is CAPITALIZED such as JACK R PATRIOT is placed into the "TRUST” with the natural person, Jack Rabbit: Patriot as the Trustee. ALL TRUSTS or CORPORATIONS report to the Internal Revenue Service through a Form 1041. We as Trustees are told to file a Form 1040 as a Federal Employee and are charged Income Tax. We should be filling out the Form 1041 and no tax is paid or owed-remember we are Tax Exempt. All of the people were now held by Power of Attorney in the Bar.

I laugh at how many people don't get it!!!!!!!!

DO SOME RESEARCH, STOP THE INSANITY!!!

loveforlife.com.au...

posted on Feb, 13 2010 @ 03:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by daddio
I laugh at how many people don't get it!!!!!!!!

DO SOME RESEARCH, STOP THE INSANITY!!!

loveforlife.com.au...

Yeah, you tell me how this works out. I find it annoying how people come in and say "you don't have to pay taxes!! just do [insert clever trick here]." Noone ever says "I've been doing this for X years, went to court and won against the IRS and now there is a valid precedent."

I have a house, a kid, a wife who must have good medical care for her chronic condition. I am not independantly wealthy and costs are sky rocketting. Yes, I would *LOVE* to have the extra $20K or so I pay in taxes every year for my own use, but I cannot and will not risk my job and my family's security because some anonymous clown on the internet quoted some old laws that are probably repealed, made moot, or so totally obscure that they could mean anything.

Yes, I am being extorted. I admit it. But I will live in the system because I cannot afford to fight the system.

As for the OP, I find it disgusting that we are paying taxes on money we didn't even have the ability to refuse. Seriously? We are given a hidden stimulous that didn't even make an impact on our checking accounts and now we have to pay taxes on that meaningless money?

posted on Feb, 13 2010 @ 04:06 PM
link   
So how do I know if I got the stimulus money last year? Was it given to us in an IRS refund? or is it a separate check or deposit?

OH so very confusing.

posted on Feb, 13 2010 @ 04:15 PM
link   
reply to post by rogerstigers

I am a lawyer. These people who claim that income taxes are optional or not constitutional may make the world's most rational and wonderful arguments, but they are not backed by jurisprudence. If you buy one of these kits and get audited, you are going to get drilled and they will lose in court.

If you are going to get any tax advice, make sure it is from someone with a license. Many of you may not trust people with a license, on account of them being "insiders" because they passed an exam thousands of people take each year and pay $500 a year dues to the local licensing authority. These "insiders" however, are less likely to get away with giving you bad advice than these fly-by-night hucksters selling you tax avoidance packages.

posted on Feb, 13 2010 @ 06:45 PM
link   
reply to post by DJM8507

If I understand correctly, it was done by withholding a tiny bit less out of your paycheck.... nothing in the mail...no check...just an unnoticeable about left for you to spend of the money that you earned...nice of them wasn't it!!!

posted on Feb, 13 2010 @ 06:54 PM
link   
reply to post by hotpinkurinalmint

Since you're a lawyer, mind if I ask a simple tax related question?

Can you define income as used in the 16th Amendment? (Not current day definitions, but as it was used in 1913).

I'm not a tax denier/anti taxer/loony/etc. Just curious since I've never been able to get an answer to that question. Even the IRS tax law division couldnt answer it for me. I asked 2 different agents and the answers I received were :

"I dont know" and "I dont have to tell you"

Gross income is defined in the IRC, but as for definitions of the wording in the 16th, I've come up blank.

Any help would be appreciated.

[edit on 13-2-2010 by brainwrek]

posted on Feb, 13 2010 @ 07:00 PM
link   
Obama just signed the tax payers into another trillion dollars of debt the other day. By raising the debt limit it means they can borrow more which means more debt.

blogs.abcnews.com...

posted on Feb, 13 2010 @ 09:42 PM
link   

would have been nice but we made to much and still ended up paying a great deal of money to the crooks... even after deductions and all

posted on Feb, 13 2010 @ 10:26 PM
link   
The 250 people are referring to here is part of the "Making work Pay" part of the stimulus package. It is only for people who don't receive a "paycheck" namely people who get Social Security Checks, RRB's and Some Veterans pensions.

posted on Feb, 13 2010 @ 10:33 PM
link   
reply to post by brainwrek

I never looked into 16th amendment jurisprudence that much. If you take a tax course in law school, they spend 5 minutes telling you not to even think about challenging the constitutionality of the Internal Revenue code because the courts have consistently ruled the code is constitutional.

I would say your question is loaded. It assumes that the originalist judicial philosophy (the idea the meaning of the constitution is set in stone) is the correct one. Many judges subscribe to the "living constitution" theory, which states the constitution grows and evolves with society.

If we take the originalist approach, the word "income" would mean what "income" meant back in the 18th century. I would be willing to bet the meaning of the word is probably the same today as it was back then. If you look up income in the dictionary (which is what originalist judges do) you will see it means " amount of money earned from work, investments, etc." Chances are, unless you have some sort of exotic business model, the money you make fits that definition. It also does not seem far fetched to suggest that the Internal Revenue Code's definition of income is consistent with this approach.

If you take the "living constitution" approach, you will probably assume that the Internal Revenue Code has codified the meaning of the word "income" for 16th amendment purposes. Courts can look to the internal revenue code for meaning because the Constitution has grown or adapted to conform to the Internal Revenue Code.

From a practical standpoint, the agents were right when they said "I don't know and I don't have to tell you." The revenue agents job is to follow IRS regulations and guidelines, not to engage in debates over Constitutional interpretation. They also do not have to tell you because the IRS is certain to win if you attempted to challenge the constitutionality of the Code in court.

[edit on 13-2-2010 by hotpinkurinalmint]

posted on Feb, 13 2010 @ 10:35 PM
link   

Any economic recovery payment you receive during 2009 is not taxable

source:
www.irs.gov...=207441,00.html

the only thing I can think of would be if you received more than you should have or you claimed a larger credit than you're entitled toand the IRS corrected the issue.

posted on Feb, 13 2010 @ 10:37 PM
link   
reply to post by pavil

My husband and I both work 40+ hours a week. He does however receive a small disabled veterans check each month....

posted on Feb, 13 2010 @ 10:39 PM
link   
According to TurboTax, you are not eligible for the Making Work Pay credit if you received the $250 stimulus check. If you didn't get the check last year, you can claim a credit of $400 if single and $800 if married.

By analyzing my W2 info, will TurboTax know whether or not I got the $20/week last year? All it asked me was if I got the $250 stimulus check, and when I said no it said I was eligible for the $400 credit. I actually don't know if I go the $20/week last year or not...it isn't notated anywhere on my pay stubs.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join